Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with smaller tow vehicle options

Asmodeus2112

Good choice. I was never a big Toyota/Lexus fan until I bought one. Now I own one of each, great vehicles. May not be the most exciting to drive, but the good thing is you get to be un-excited for a long long time.

• Like 1
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:14 AM, carguy79ta said:

Cant imagine that bump being a problem, trucks are parked out of level all the time. Wood wedge and you're good to go.

Before we got the driveway fixed it was a bigger transition that that into our garage ;)

• Like 2
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:59 AM, Asmodeus2112 said:

Finally made a decision and bought a 2013 Lexus GX 460. Least compromise on the most criteria. Small V8, but still stronger than the 6 in the Ridge. Tow and cargo capacity will be enough. Air suspension, ventilated seats etc. etc. Lots of overlanders outfitting these, so I'm already shopping for roof racks, bumpers etc. Thanks for your input everyone, it greatly helped me work through this decision. Time to sell the Ridgeline. The GX has big shoes to fill, the Ridgeline served our needs very well.

20190709_201011.jpg

Looks just like the one my dad has.  Good call on the air suspension, his 470 had it and his 460 does not.  He regretted not checking that box again ever since.

• Like 1

I saw a newer 21-22' Mastercraft about pull a GX into the water a few weeks ago at Norris.  Lake was at full pool and the ramp was not steep at all.  Guy had her as deep as he could (to the doors) but his wife had to power the boat backwards while he pulled forwards to get it off.  Not pretty; we all watched in awe as it was close to being a real bad day for them.  I got the pleasure of watching him put it back on at the end of the week, though it wasn't quite as eventful.

13 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I saw a newer 21-22' Mastercraft about pull a GX into the water a few weeks ago at Norris.  Lake was at full pool and the ramp was not steep at all.  Guy had her as deep as he could (to the doors) but his wife had to power the boat backwards while he pulled forwards to get it off.  Not pretty; we all watched in awe as it was close to being a real bad day for them.  I got the pleasure of watching him put it back on at the end of the week, though it wasn't quite as eventful.

Maybe they should have tried the "jerk" method of launching...:salute:

On 7/11/2019 at 8:59 AM, Asmodeus2112 said:

Finally made a decision and bought a 2013 Lexus GX 460. Least compromise on the most criteria. Small V8, but still stronger than the 6 in the Ridge. Tow and cargo capacity will be enough. Air suspension, ventilated seats etc. etc. Lots of overlanders outfitting these, so I'm already shopping for roof racks, bumpers etc. Thanks for your input everyone, it greatly helped me work through this decision. Time to sell the Ridgeline. The GX has big shoes to fill, the Ridgeline served our needs very well.

20190709_201011.jpg

20170422_121959.jpg

Congrats! I'm considering buying a 2018 22' vlx, and I currently driving a 2017 Lexus GX 460 (with air suspension). I'd love to hear how your Lexus performs pulling everything. Do you feel confident with the pairing?

I had a 2007 GX 470 and "upgraded" to a Tundra for towing comfort.  I figure I'm towing just under 6,000 pounds loaded and ready for the lake.  While the GX was capable with the load, it worked its a** off going up mountain grades.  I wasn't comfortable watching it turn at 5,000 RPMs in 2nd gear for 5 or 6 minutes at times to maintain 60 MPH.  It averaged about 8 MPG towing.

I never had any problems with sway or braking.  ETA mine also had the air suspension which resulted in virtually no squat at all on the Lexus.

Edited by AzAxisA22
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, EthanMitch said:

Congrats! I'm considering buying a 2018 22' vlx, and I currently driving a 2017 Lexus GX 460 (with air suspension). I'd love to hear how your Lexus performs pulling everything. Do you feel confident with the pairing?

Will let you know. Hitch arrived today, should be towing by this weekend.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:30 AM, EthanMitch said:

Hitch installed, but did not get a chance to pull the boat yet. This Sunday will be the first time, will report back after.

I have been towing my 21 MLX with my 2016 GX and it does great.  The smaller V8 is a little thirsty and I only tow on flat roads, but no issues with swaying or braking.  The 22 VLX weighs a little less than the MLX, so you should be good.  

I towed a 2017 T23 with a GX460 and didn’t have problem ever getting it into or out of the water.  To come out, I used 4x4 LO and barley gave it any gas.   As long as I was below 70, I never felt unsafe with good trailer brakes.   Moved up to a Navigator for the 23 lsv

• 3 weeks later...