Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

raw water pump

So my stock indmar water pump 68-5001 is leaking and needs to be replaced. I know that Johnson pumps makes the same pump now and im sure its good quality but part of me really wants to stay stock and get an INDMAR pump exact to match so as to keep everything in the engine stock indmar. Does anyone know where to find 685001? I did find this cheap one in the mean time, what do yall think of a no name brand? https://www.amazon.com/aftermarket-crankshaft-mounted-brands-engines/dp/B075SP28GD/ref=nav_ya_signin?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl6LoBRDqARIsABllMSa8c94Dl2GKjHKd27pZ2o_7UpRcSisPp6avPn8BeBNxaMWyGwoq-LQaAlM8EALw_wcB&hvadid=345554876335&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9011461&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=10430487570890801287&hvtargid=kwd-748731376026&hydadcr=9435_9900754&keywords=indmar+68-5001&qid=1560909284&s=gateway&sr=8-1&

Might be tough to find one that says Indmar on the part (if that's even how the came from the factory). If it's leaking from the shaft you can replace the seal and save some money. Seal and other parts can be found here: https://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1171

Here's how to do it from my comment on a previous topic:

Here's a pdf from Team Talk with instructions on rebuilding the pump: link You won't need to worry about removing the bearings from the shaft if they look good. Basically you knock out the shaft from the back of the housing with a bar and hammer (bearings should come out on the shaft). Pull out the old seal pliers or a pick - you may have to tear it up. Then press in the new seal from the front side. I used a hydraulic press and 3/4" deep well socket for the seal but I suppose if you don't have access to one you could use the c-clamp method. This was the only tricky part since getting the seal to start straight is key to not damaging it. It's easy to start in there sideways. Then press the shaft with bearings back into the housing. I used the hydraulic press here again and I'm not sure if the c clamp would work for this part. Maybe someone else can comment if you could tap it lightly with a hammer to re-seat the bearings. Then you replace the impeller and cover and you're ready to install.

10 minutes ago, drh said:

Might be tough to find one that says Indmar on the part (if that's even how the came from the factory). If it's leaking from the shaft you can replace the seal and save some money. Seal and other parts can be found here: https://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1171

Here's how to do it from my comment on a previous topic:

Here's a pdf from Team Talk with instructions on rebuilding the pump: link You won't need to worry about removing the bearings from the shaft if they look good. Basically you knock out the shaft from the back of the housing with a bar and hammer (bearings should come out on the shaft). Pull out the old seal pliers or a pick - you may have to tear it up. Then press in the new seal from the front side. I used a hydraulic press and 3/4" deep well socket for the seal but I suppose if you don't have access to one you could use the c-clamp method. This was the only tricky part since getting the seal to start straight is key to not damaging it. It's easy to start in there sideways. Then press the shaft with bearings back into the housing. I used the hydraulic press here again and I'm not sure if the c clamp would work for this part. Maybe someone else can comment if you could tap it lightly with a hammer to re-seat the bearings. Then you replace the impeller and cover and you're ready to install.

thanks for the advice about the rebuild. I had a friend of mine suggest rebuilding it. I did also find this one link but the INdmar parts are so much more expensive. https://inboardonline.com/indmar-raw-water-pump-685001-1/

Do what @drh said and rebuild it.  I bought a sack of seals from theoringstore.com and can change them out in about ten minutes.  No need for a hydraulic press.  A vise and basic tools will help a lot.  Honest, this is a simple job.