Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DAMN busted swim platform.

So. I don’t have a hoist. And I have to stern in my boat because at my slip I don’t get enough width for a dock section.  

Well it looks like they might have raised the water level between the dam control and all the rain couple that along with wave action was enough to interface my swim platform with the dock. I had the boat in the same spot as last year but the lake level was a lot lower then.

It looks like the damage was done with the boat on its way down, the way the fiberglass is cracked and how it separated from the foam core. So hopefully the hull is ok.

My question do these platforms for 2010 LSV ever crop up? Or is this unobtainium?

I have ski safe so I’ll call them tomorrow to see what they’ll do. I SWORE my deductible was 500 but it looks like it’s a grand. Dahm. Still better than buying a new platform. 

It’s completely usable but I’ll have to clean up the splinters to prevent slivers.

Anyway this was half sulking half looking for advice. 

Edited by Ryan1776

I feel ya and it is no consolation, but I had a canoe that got totally trashed with changing water levels.  Sad thing was that the neighbour was out, watched it all and did SFA.

39 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I feel ya and it is no consolation, but I had a canoe that got totally trashed with changing water levels.  Sad thing was that the neighbour was out, watched it all and did SFA.

Ugh that’s brutal! Why would anyone do that? I’ve seen some beat up ‘toons getting loose and I’ve cinched them up. 

obviously the big “up and down” movement is on the main brackets. But I was just seeing if it still felt secure. 

I bought a new fiberglas platform for my '02 years ago when I wanted to replace the teak that came with it. I remember it being in the $500 ballpark, but that was years ago and I don't have the paperwork anymore. They're expensive, but it is possible to get a replacement. Malibu should still have the molds to make one, and if you're real lucky they might have one pre-made. I recently learned that they should have parts for everything back to '08 in the TN warehouse.

Hopefully, the brackets are still fine.  As to why the neighbour would ignore it?  Who knows??  Some folks are just not community minded (BTW, the funny thing is that I've saved his boat TWICE!)

20 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Out of curiosity, will a 2003-ish platform fit a 99?

fit and fit correctly are two different things ;)

The difference is going to be the curve on the stern of the boat. As long as you have the brackets to bolt something on there even a raw piece of wood will work, but for it to fit correctly is a more challenging question. You would probably need to set the replacement platform on the existing brackets to eyeball the alignment before deciding on a go-forward plan.

Rang up SkiSafe. 
Total matter of fact phone call. GREAT dude. 
Here's the synopsis for any future searches. 
1- My deductible is 1000 (no option for 500) but I pay for disappearing deducible. So after 2 years, er two yearly payments my deducible is 750.00. Policy initiated March of 2018.
2-My premium will go up 20-25% for 4 years, ouch.  So at a yearly premium of 423 bucks, have to assume an increase in 105/year. 
So in the end, I'm more than welcome to file a claim but I'll be paying 1150 all said and done in the end. IF IFFF I were to have another claim in the near future I could be dropped because I become "claim heavy." Not his exact words, but that's pretty close and gets the point across. 

The good news with this, is IF there was some transom damage, however unlikely, associated from this incident I can make a claim anytime in the future and citing this issue. There is no time constraint on filing. 

So is there boat junk yard I can try to find one from? 
On the side, I called Tommys looking to get a price on new..."Oh God no! Let us fix it, way cheaper."  I sent a photo, so we'll see. 

Edited by Ryan1776
16 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Yes, My understanding is the curve is the same for almost all of the hulls between 95 to at least 04, and even through 08 for the V-rides.  Not sure on the 05+ VLX/LSV

I bought a used platform from an 03 response LXI and used it on my 98 sunsetter LX and it fit the curve exactly.

4 minutes ago, cla10beck said:

Yes, My understanding is the curve is the same for almost all of the hulls between 95 to at least 04, and even through 08 for the V-rides.  Not sure on the 05+ VLX/LSV

I bought a used platform from an 03 response LXI and used it on my 98 sunsetter LX and it fit the curve exactly.

Cool. Time to start watching Craig's List/Kijiji  Not that I don't like teak, but man, every year and twice in the summer...

check out facebook marketplace, a month or so ago there was a guy in Michigan who had platforms for many different Bu's

20 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Not sure what year or even what boat it's from, but my '01 has a platform that's from a much newer boat.  Believe it's from a Gen II Response LXi.  Fit is perfect though I've had to cheat the brackets a bit to make it go on and off smoothly.

26 minutes ago, coldwater-echelon said:

check out facebook marketplace, a month or so ago there was a guy in Michigan who had platforms for many different Bu's

Good luck finding anything on that site.  Ouch - what a horrid search engine.  But I'll continue to look.

14 hours ago, coldwater-echelon said:

I don't have nor do I use FB....unfortunately it seems that they have a ton of stuff and lots of traffic. 
If anyone happens to find one on there, I would be indeed grateful. 

So if you could get a new one but for, say, a 2013, you might be part way done with the most painful part of a surfgate upgrade project. 

Edited by shawndoggy
3 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

So if you could get a new one but for, say, a 2013, you might be part way done with the most painful part of a surfgate upgrade project. 

Read my mind.....That's my question....and you gave my answer. Partly. 
So 2013 was first year for gate. Do we know if the mounting pattern matches the 2013? Wasn't hull change in '14? So should match?

Honestly. I'm going to see how much for just the pad. Do the glass work myself. It's the gel I've never ever done. 

Edited by Ryan1776
Just now, Ryan1776 said:

Read my mind.....That's my question....and you gave my answer. Partly. 
So 2013 was first year for gate. Do we know if the mounting pattern matches the 2013? Wasn't hull change in '14? So should match?

pretty sure it would work.  You may have to finesse it through the dealer tho because last I heard the factory was pretty stingy with selling surfgate related components... i.e. you may need to submit a hull ID to get the SG style platform.  ICBW tho.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

pretty sure it would work.  You may have to finesse it through the dealer tho because last I heard the factory was pretty stingy with selling surfgate related components... i.e. you may need to submit a hull ID to get the SG style platform.  ICBW tho.

lame. Thanks for the heads up though!