Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thoughts on this boat please?

shiftman

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/d/philadelphia-2009-malibu-wakesetter/6901966290.html

Wife absolutely hates the green and yellow color scheme so a wrap (have no idea of the cost) will be an absolute requirement. She would prefer a different interior as well. On the plus side, a single mom custom ordered this boat from Malibu - which is close to where she lives. Her kids are now grown and boat sees little use. One owner with very low hours are on the plus side. Not a real attractive or "lively" color scheme are on the negative side. The wife has found a 2011 MB and a 2012 Tige that she really likes, so the Wakesetter would have to be a "good buy" in order to be considered. The boat has been on the market since last summer and I cant help but think that the color isn't helping the sale. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

That color scheme would be great for any cheese heads! As a Georgia Tech fan, I'd take the gold with a dark bottom any day over my red and black scheme.

I'd make a deal that you don't wrap it for a season and then you see how much you really care. 

There's not really enough information to figure anything else about it. Does it have the wedge, pnp bags already?

Eeeeeks, I'm with @oldjeep sorry..  For that much money you could broaden your search and possibly find some better colors.  I think that boat might have a hard time selling.

48 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Wow, that is ugly.  What is up with the platform, bad picture or did they paint the teak red. 

Dang! Tough crowd. Platform looks normal in another picture. I don’t think wraps are too much money, but this sounds very much like you are trying to force this one....on yourself. Expand your search a bit, there are tons of nice boats in the Midwest right now since a big percent of the lakes are closed do to flooding.

Edited by BlindSquirrel

When I bought my boat, I started by looking used.  Found a 247 in Utah that was in great condition, bigger engine, low hours, and was about $10,000 less than similar boats.  What was different about it?  The owner was a breast cancer survivor, and the boat had pink in the hull, and the interior piping.  It sat on a dealer lot for two years.

If you are convincing yourself you can live with the color, I would say hard pass, regardless of the deal.  A wrap isn't going to cover that yellow Bimini.  Or the green interior accents.  And the justifying you are doing to try to convince yourself to buy this one is what most potential owners are going to do when you go to sell it.

No thanks.

I'm in WI, and I wouldn't buy that boat, wow that is ugly. You cold wrap it, my best guess would be $4k-$6k for a decent wrap. Also, when you wrap something, if you "nudge" a dock or scratch/scuff the wrap. It will most likely tear, leaving the under color showing through, no real way to touch up a wrap, would have to tear out a section and re-apply, and you'd see another seem then. I'd honestly keep looking, can't rush finding the right boat. I looked on and off for almost 2 years until I found mine. 

I think it is pretty unanimous that color is bad. If the cheese heads don't even like than no one else will.  What is up with that plum/burgundy color?  Add the amount you would pay to get it wrapped to your total budget and revise your search.  There will be other good deals out there if you look and are willing to travel to pick a boat up.

The 383 motor was not a star either.  I have heard of a lot of weird issues.  No probably for the number produced, but just another thought.  Especially with low unproven hours.  And the colors, I struggle to understand, but hey different strokes.

If I purchased that boat against my wife's wishes, it would likely result in her becoming a single mom in short order :lol:

• Like 3

Why is yellow an option it's just terrible, every yellow boat I've ever seen goes for crap price and never sells.. just eliminate that color period! 

• Like 1

Don't forget, there could also be a market for it in Oakland for a die-hard Athletics fan! While it's possible to wrap it and to get new seat skins made, I'll agree with others that you're better off looking a bit more. There is always a desire to make something work when the weather is perfect outside, but if you keep looking you'll find the right option for you. Take this time to make a list of the must-haves and must-not-haves so you have something to stick to, be honest with yourself on what the must and must-nots are.

4 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Why is yellow an option it's just terrible, every yellow boat I've ever seen goes for crap price and never sells.. just eliminate that color period! 

I remember seeing a boat that was all yellow on the outside (I didn't pay attention to the interior) with the name "hold the relish" in green on the stern. That was a yellow boat that I thought was done well, humorously well.

20 hours ago, MalibuRyan said:

I'd honestly keep looking, can't rush finding the right boat. I looked on and off for almost 2 years until I found mine. 

I found my "dream boat" three years ago and hesitated. It was an 08 purple, black and grey Setter. Have not found another one like it since. That said, I will continue the search. Thanks for the input.

7 minutes ago, SpaceSurfer said:

boat.thumb.jpg.a782e70b509c9cfaf7a37e3a2045166c.jpg

Tough crowd! I love my yellow 'bu!!

I love mine too, but I think the red accent and the yellow bimini kill the one for sale...

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

I love mine too, but I think the red accent and the yellow bimini kill the one for sale...

I think @SpaceSurfer boat would look very good with the yellow bikini

1 hour ago, shiftman said:

I found my "dream boat" three years ago and hesitated. It was an 08 purple, black and grey Setter. Have not found another one like it since. That said, I will continue the search. Thanks for the input.

I hear you, I looked at those pictures again and I too, felt so sorry for that boat. I can honestly say, I don't think I have seen an uglier boat. I'm very sorry to hear that, hate when those get away from you. Had that happen with a couple cars back in the day.... Luckily mine was on the market for less than a week when I came across it and locked it in. Yours is out there, it just has been listed yet, or if you see one you like, NEVER hurts to ask if they'll sell :biggrin:

45 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

I think @SpaceSurfer boat would look very good with the yellow bikini

Can't say I didn't consider briefly a yellow racing stripe added in when I had it at an upholstery shop to fix a tear! But alas, I left it all black. Racing stripes make everything better!!

1 hour ago, hunter77ah said:

Red accent I don't think is too noticeable, that green bottom though. I didn't notice that on my phone but see it better on my computer screen. The yellow bimini is easily replaceable for <1k. Maybe it'll double as a christmas parade boat!

• Like 1