Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electrical issues

First timer here

Love this site. Ive used it many times and have enjoyed the great info from all the members. Ive been wanting to join since I learned about the site from the salesman we purchased the boat from.

We sold our 1998 Mastercraft prostar 190 and purchased a 2015 22 VLX right before boating season last year. The original owner had everything set up just right in my opinion. The boat is very clean and seemed to be well maintained with only a handful of minor issues that needed to be addressed. We had a blast all boating season last year and love the boat.

I became more familiar with the boat by doing a ton of research and serviced it myself this spring. Quite a bit more involved than my old mastercraft. We took it out for the first trip of the year last weekend. A few issues popped up and I thought I would run it by you guys to see if anyone has had similar issues. 

First issue....We noticed that the nav/anchor lights were on constantly throughout the day, the on/off control wouldn't function. when the power was shut down, the lights went off, other than that they were on. We also noticed that one side of the tower speakers lost power randomly for 10-20 seconds a few times (most likely unrelated to nav light issue). When we got home, I checked the nav/anchor lights and they function fine. I looked under the dash and found that there are two light grey wires that have got very hot at some point. The fuses all looked good.

Second issue....The boat was in the water Friday afternoon until Sunday mid day. We went to leave the launch ramp and I found a ton of water in the hull while pulling the plug. Got home and found that the forward bilge isn't working. There are two fused wires labeled "bilge" coming off one of the batteries. One of them had a blown 5 amp fuse. I replaced it and the forward bilge is still not working. I am thinking that I need to replace the bilge pump after I spend a little more time looking into it.

I plan on taking things apart when I get home from work tomorrow to hopefully learn more. If anyone has any advice or has come across similar issues I would really appreciate any help you can offer.

Nav light will stay on if you have the key in the on position. 

Tower speaker is more then likely a connection issue

Center bilge is probably locked up. Kind of a light duty pump imo 

Thank for your reply  

Forward bilge seized, ordered a replacement and a back up because reviews are 50/50. I agree the pump seems pretty small for being at the low point of the hull. The back up pump I ordered is rated at 750 GPH

The nav/anchor light issued turned out to be two fried diodes under the dash. Easy fix. I believe this may be related to the pump failure but not sure. 

Now I’m working on figuring out the stereo wiring issue and why I’m taking on so much water.