Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Motorhome exhaust brake causes trailer running light fuse to pop

xx29l9

Pulled the 'bu for the first time behind the motorhome and ran into an issue. If the motorhome exhaust brake switch is on it will pop the trailers running light 20 amp fuse when they activate. If I leave the exhaust brake switch off and never use it the lights are fine. When I bought the MH from the previous owner he had a tow system installed for his pickup and made some remark about he towed a trailer once and flat spotted all the tires on it because the trailer brakes all locked up when the exhaust brake kicks on. My trailer brakes do not lock up when exhaust brake kicks on....just pops running light fuse. Boat trailer is a 2005 Extreme and motorhome is a 2006 Damon Cummins Astoria diesel pusher.

Anybody ever run into something like this?

Other than this snaffu, the boat pulled great behind the moho.

Thanks!

Bob

Edited by xx29l9
more stuff added

I can't think of any reason that the two would be related.

Wether it is an actual exhaust brake, or an engine brake, it is independent to the wiring of the trailer.

If the prior owner was towing with a brake buddy system (basically an inertia/surge brake system that can be added to a towed vehicle - my dad has one for his MoHo/Jeep), he could have had that set up too sensitive, and he really couldn't have been paying much attention even to make that happen.  Again, I think unrelated to your problem.

My guess is the exhaust brake system is wired into the brake light circuit so it can light up the brake lights when the exhaust brake is being used (and not the traditional brakes) and something along that path has a bad ground or just wired incorrectly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies....trailer lights all work fine when hooked up to my pickup, or hooked up to the motorhome and exhaust brake is not enabled.

Sounds like there may be a short on the exhaust brake/tow setup side of things....need to dig in and start finding some wires to look at.

I also posted this question on a RV site and replies are confirming that there should not be any connection between the exhaust brake and blowing fuses on the running lights of a trailer. We shall see.

Bob