Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Min clearance between prop and hull

mrothwell

I just put an OJ 945 ( 15" x 13" ) on my 07 VTX.  I had read that any of the Malibu V-drives were fine with a 15" prop.  But the clearance between the prop and the hull is only a half inch.  Is that enough?  I took the boat out on Saturday, and I love the props performance, great pull when fully weighted, my skiing RPMs were only up by 200 over my ACME 1235, surfing at 2800 RPM at 10.8 mph.  So, this prop will work great for me, I'm just concerned about that little clearance.

52 minutes ago, mrothwell said:

I just put an OJ 945 ( 15" x 13" ) on my 07 VTX.  I had read that any of the Malibu V-drives were fine with a 15" prop.  But the clearance between the prop and the hull is only a half inch.  Is that enough?  I took the boat out on Saturday, and I love the props performance, great pull when fully weighted, my skiing RPMs were only up by 200 over my ACME 1235, surfing at 2800 RPM at 10.8 mph.  So, this prop will work great for me, I'm just concerned about that little clearance.

15x13 with a 1.5:1 redux?  That thing should pull stumps!

I didn't measure it, but that is the OJ specs.  Also, when looking at it right next to my 1235, it's not much of a size difference.

I love the pull of this prop.  I normally run at around 3500 ft, but I spend 10 days each summer above 6500 ft, so having the torque is really nice.

I'll run for a few days on the lake and watch for burn.  What should I be looking for as the first sign of gel burn?

Totally unrelated.... I may have an ACME 1235 or an OJ 475 for sale soon..

Edited by mrothwell

I'd say 1/2" would be minimum, if the prop works for you I wouldn't be too concerned who really cares about some gel burn on the bottom of a boat by the prop? Worst case fix it every few years.. 

I had the acme 1235 on my 15 LSV. I changed to the OJ 945 (15x13) last year. Loved it. Then I tried the OJ 948 (15x14) even better. I run about 800 feet  msl. With the higher elevation the 945 may work well for you. The diameter difference between the Acme 1235 and the OJ 945 is 1/2 inch. That means it’s only 1/4 inch closer to the hull. 

On 6/17/2019 at 3:15 PM, mrothwell said:

You are 100000% fine. I have done almost 400 hours now on my 2419 (15x12) on my 05 VLX. Edit: with no burn or marking whatsoever.

Edited by 95echelon