Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
RyanB

2014 Malibu Screen Abnormalities

Recommended Posts

RyanB

Went out to put the boat away this weekend when i got home and the screen looked cracked - but it isn’t. It almost looks like there is some sort of film over the screen that is coming off?

Has anyone else experienced this?

 

0C18C129-FD47-4647-B3B9-B009C2CA5ED8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leftlane

Almost looks like the protective film was never removed - probably a silly question, but did you ever peel it off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB
1 hour ago, Leftlane said:

Almost looks like the protective film was never removed - probably a silly question, but did you ever peel it off?

Pretty sure I did. Would be unlike me not to. 

Really hard to peel anything off now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB

Dealer thinks the screen is delaminating.  Apparently there is a recall that it might fall under.  Keeping my fingers crossed......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malibuwrench

FYI last time I checked medallion is rebuilding touch screens. Don’t think the price is cheaper but they started asking for cores back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB
1 minute ago, Malibuwrench said:

FYI last time I checked medallion is rebuilding touch screens. Don’t think the price is cheaper but they started asking for cores back.

I’ll have to look into in the off season. Not warranty. $2400. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malibuwrench
3 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I’ll have to look into in the off season. Not warranty. $2400. 

That sounds about right. I know Malibu started charging 500-800 core on those screens when you ordered them. Assuming medallion wants to rebuild them instead of continuing normal production runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagleboy99

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a differnt result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malibuwrench
16 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a differnt result.

I would guess they are rebuilding them in the USA. All other medallion products come from overseas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB
2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a differnt result.

How do you suggest I avoid insanity on my screen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leftlane

I had a brand new one listed in the classifieds here for much less than even Bakes prices and was surprised that people weren’t jumping all over it.  I did sell it but I thought it would go on day 1 based on how many people have issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagleboy99

I just bought a 10" waterproof touchscreen for just over $100 USD for an IoT project I'm working on.  Someone is making a LOT of money  supplying Malibu.  If someone decoded the bus you should be able to run the boat off an iPad etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malibuwrench
1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I just bought a 10" waterproof touchscreen for just over $100 USD for an IoT project I'm working on.  Someone is making a LOT of money  supplying Malibu.  If someone decoded the bus you should be able to run the boat off an iPad etc. 

Whats really spooky is when they wont be available anymore. Kind of like the M-Scan gauge. But at least you can go back to a 4 pack gauge when the M-Scan dies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UWSkier
5 minutes ago, Malibuwrench said:

Whats really spooky is when they wont be available anymore. Kind of like the M-Scan gauge. But at least you can go back to a 4 pack gauge when the M-Scan dies. 

Anyone know where I can get a working computron?  Asking for a friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagleboy99

Just trying to help you avoid "the post of shame".  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malibuwrench
3 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Anyone know where I can get a working computron?  Asking for a friend.

Lol. Honestly saw a working one a couple years ago. Kind of crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagleboy99

I recall seeing one of them in a boat - some part of it worked.  ;)  I think the company is long gone, but "BV Unitron"  in Conway AR owns the IP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikecourchene

I just bought a used 2014 23 LSV, I was cleaning the boat and thought it was sunscreen or WD40 on the screen, I began wiping it with a soft cloth and mild dish detergent and a gel like film started coming off,( much like removing adhesive from a sticker )  I thought I damaged the screen but I keep working on it until I had the screen clean, hard to get the corners clean but it once removed it’s acceptable , no idea what it was! My last boat was a 2009 VLX, screen was brighter , clearer , and had a better glass like finish , this screen is dull, grainy , appears to have less lines of resolution, finish on the screen looks like laminated plastic , 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB
8 hours ago, Mikecourchene said:

I just bought a used 2014 23 LSV, I was cleaning the boat and thought it was sunscreen or WD40 on the screen, I began wiping it with a soft cloth and mild dish detergent and a gel like film started coming off,( much like removing adhesive from a sticker )  I thought I damaged the screen but I keep working on it until I had the screen clean, hard to get the corners clean but it once removed it’s acceptable , no idea what it was! My last boat was a 2009 VLX, screen was brighter , clearer , and had a better glass like finish , this screen is dull, grainy , appears to have less lines of resolution, finish on the screen looks like laminated plastic , 

Sounds like the same thing I’m experiencing. 

It looks terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...