Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinion on 2002 wakesetter vlx

Coreytownsend

Hi everyone. Was hoping to read some opinions on a boat I’m looking at.  Currently have a 1999 searay 175br with tower I’ve had since 2006. Was a great boat while my kids weee growing up but now they are full size and it doesn’t pull the same.  We all wakeboard and tube etc. want to get into surfing a little as well. 

The boat I’m looking at is $20k and the engine was completely rebuilt in 2013. Has less than 300 hours in the rebuild with records. 

Would this be a great choice and a decent price ? Interior is probably 7/10. Exterior and trailer looks great. Nothing is broken. 

It's going to cost you a bit more money to get it surf ready.

Does it have a wedge? If not add $1000 (good luck finding a bracket)

You'll need at minimum 2x 750lb bags for the lockers and a 600lb bow bag. 

Does it have Perfect Pass? 

You'll also need a wake shaper such as a suck gate.

It's a great boat out of the box for wakeboarding, skiing, tubing, and cruising.

Great hull on that boat.  Surfing isn’t its strength but it can be done.  I love the wakeboard wake on that hull.  Not as massive as today’s boats but smooth transitions and plenty of pop for all riders.  Super easy to setup as well.  $20K for any v drive is usually a solid deal.  V drives rarely drop below $20K.  

Why was the motor replaced?

We have a 2003 and like it a lot. Solid boat, capable of everything but surfing big dudes that don't know how to surf.. Wife and kids no problem. We have 750's in rear, stock center and bag under seats in front. Still need some human ballast to make it happen for me. Wakeboard wake is more than enough for most people. We are all intermediate and will probably not outgrow this boat. I love the way these boats handle compared to I/O's. Perfect pass is a plus and can be added if you're handy. May not be as nice in chop compared to I/O of similar size. $20k sounds pretty damn good to me in Cali. We had an unsolicited offer for way more than that recently on ours. PM if you have any specific questions.

That era of Malibu boats are arguably better than the current era.  The hulls are much thicker and the interior is much softer and more plush.  The only drawback is no surf gates.  That can be fixed w a suck gate.  

On 6/15/2019 at 9:46 PM, Curtis1980 said:

That era of Malibu boats are arguably better than the current era.  The hulls are much thicker and the interior is much softer and more plush.  The only drawback is no surf gates.  That can be fixed w a suck gate.  

I think there are big pluses and some minuses. The convenience of newer boats with the automation and electronics is really cool. Catalytic converters (started in 07) and surf pipe options (add ons available but seems like a factory option started 2012-2015ish) make surfing great, and surfgate is great as well. Also the older boats don't have hulls that are designed for surfing, that started early 2010's I believe. newer boats have more freeboard and are often wider (though the 2019 VLX 21 is the same width as my 2005).

Older boats do have more plush upholstery so comfort is good. I don't know about fiberglass thickness but mine is doing great. For my 05 I only wish I had Catalytic converters and I plan to add a GPS based surf system like GoSurfAssist or a DIY option. The things I like about my older boat are:

1. All the new boat quirks are worked out.
  2. Everything except for surfing is 10/10
  3. I can get cheap replacement parts for EVERYTHING. I don't rely on a fancy computer brain or screen for anything. If my info display went out I could still work all my switches. Ask 2012-2013 owners how fun it is to pay $1800 bucks to replace screens that are delaminating.
  4. Most replacement parts are generic to all inboards.
  5. It's easier for your average joe to own one vs doing a gigantic loan that is often long term. These boats last for decades.
  6. I will never have to worry about replacement parts not being made anymore. (those 2012-2013 screens probably wont be available in another 10 years).
  • Like 3
On 6/15/2019 at 4:44 AM, Coreytownsend said:

Hi everyone. Was hoping to read some opinions on a boat I’m looking at.  Currently have a 1999 searay 175br with tower I’ve had since 2006. Was a great boat while my kids weee growing up but now they are full size and it doesn’t pull the same.  We all wakeboard and tube etc. want to get into surfing a little as well. 

The boat I’m looking at is $20k and the engine was completely rebuilt in 2013. Has less than 300 hours in the rebuild with records. 

Would this be a great choice and a decent price ? Interior is probably 7/10. Exterior and trailer looks great. Nothing is broken. 

That is a good boat. I wouldn't hesitate at 20k as that is a good price. Some boats in the next generation (05-08) can be had under 30k and will be larger interior wise, have power wedge and some basic digital dash features, and be better for surfing. That 02 will be a good all arounder though. Anything in the 2000-2008 range can be had affordably and will be a huge improvement over your current boat for water-sports. You will want a low pitch prop if surfing a lot and you will have to invest in Ballast and Boards (not a small expense but used options exist). You can make your own wake shaper (suckgate) for less than 50 bucks.