Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Troubleshooting Misfire

I'm still trying to troubleshoot a misfire in my boat (2010 Malibu Ride with 330 LCR 5.7L Engine).  Misfire happens between the 2500-3500 RPM range.  I've already replaced the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, and now spark plug wires as well, so now I'm at a bit of a loss.  I'm thinking these crap distributor caps might be the issue.  I had this happen before, after replacing cap/rotor/plugs myself, took it to the boat shop and they replaced the cap and rotor again and like magic, it worked.  I think the distributor caps on these are notoriously bad, I guess bad runs from the factory.  

I got this one from Amazon, thinking it would be better than the AC Delco part (which I used the first time this happened), since it has brass connections.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FY1MVG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm thinking I need to try a new one again unless anyone else has any ideas...?  Is there any way to tell specifically if it's the distributor cap?  With the failure rate of these I'm afraid I may get another faulty one, which wouldn't help me diagnose at all.  Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Edited by crispywake

What about fuel filter(s)? Have you changed those? Also, if that’s an automotive product, that’s not good to use on a boat.

Edited by BlindSquirrel

Check timing. With RPM's above 1,200, cam angle should be 705 degrees. Also, I learned yesterday that there are 3 places needed in Diacomm to clear misfire codes. The normal place, and 2 other places under tests.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:50 PM, BlindSquirrel said:

What about fuel filter(s)? Have you changed those? Also, if that’s an automotive product, that’s not good to use on a boat.

I haven't changed fuel filter.  Checked the manual and don't see any info about how/where to replace these or part numbers.  Googled and seems to be 100s of different setups.  Any idea where to find this info for my boat?

And which automotive product are you referring to?  The distributor cap?  It has brass connections, which I figured would be better for marine use.  I wasn't aware of any other specialty "marine" distributor caps... ?

I did some more research and think I have the Gen3 fuel pump since my boat is a 2010... which I *believe* means I don't have a typical fuel filter?  It just says "service" the regulator/filter it every 300 hours, although I have no idea what "servicing" it entails.  Although the 2010 Malibu Owner's Manual also lists "Change fuel filter, Motor / Gas tank" as an annual item on the maintenance schedule, but says nothing about fuel filter part numbers, or anything else about it.

Malibu sells a kit for it. The regulator and filter are mounted to the top of the fuel pump. Honestly, I’ve never heard of anyone changing theirs.

If you think it’s causing a problem, I’d put a fuel pressure tester on the boat and recreate the problem while monitoring the fuel pressure.

Weakness in both the ignition system (cap, wires, plugs) and fuel delivery system (pump, filters) is more prevalent at higher RPM, like >5000.  If it runs good up there, you might want to look elsewhere.