Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

02’ responses LX Just dies

Hello everyone,

I’m on a ski team and we have an 02’ Malibu response LX. This boat has an intermittent issue we can’t figure out. When it runs, it’s smooth and does 49 on the gps. But she’ll just die and there’s no starting it. The “pros” have replaced the coil, wires, plugs and internal distributor parts. Do you have any suggestions? It currently is not running. It has spark and fuel flow from the return line after the fuel rails. 

2 hours ago, Jason7773 said:

Hello everyone,

I’m on a ski team and we have an 02’ Malibu response LX. This boat has an intermittent issue we can’t figure out. When it runs, it’s smooth and does 49 on the gps. But she’ll just die and there’s no starting it. The “pros” have replaced the coil, wires, plugs and internal distributor parts. Do you have any suggestions? It currently is not running. It has spark and fuel flow from the return line after the fuel rails. 

those internal distributor parts include the ign control module?  they can be fussy.

you said "no starting it".  that mean cranks but doesn't fire?  doesn't crank?  fuel pump cycle at ign on?  look into the no start troubleshooting doc.

On 6/13/2019 at 6:00 PM, Jason7773 said:

But she’ll just die and there’s no starting it.

Is this after sitting for awhile, or it dies when running?  Please explain further.

Usually when it sits it is good for awhile but this time it’s not starting at all, even after sitting for a week. I thought maybe a relay was heating up and shorting or.... 

It does crank over. There is spark. The fuel pump cycles and there is gas coming through the return line after the fuel rails. 

Thanks for that link. That’s a great step by step instructional. I have done all of that too. I’m at a real loss here. Could the fuel pump be functioning but not creating enough pressure for the injection to work?

Edited by Jason7773
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a module that sits under the distributer cap that when it goes the boat just dies. By your post maybe it was changed , I would take another look at it.

The other thing I would check is your safety switch, maybe that is faulty.

These are fairly simple engines/systems so trouble shooting is fairly straight forward, good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Skiersareus1 the kill switch was the first item I went after. It will run for a little bit then die. Then a day a two later same thing. 

• i had a difficult to diagnose intermittent issue, too.  finally found one of the conductor/female terminal had backed out of the plastic shell that contains the ignition relay.  consider marking then swapping those 3 relays around to see if your issue changes.  they are all alike.  a change in the malady would indicate a bad / intermittent relay.  while doing that swapping around take a close look (magnifying glass) at those terminals to insure all are seated and healthy.  
  • consider pulling the canon plug apart, cleaning the contacts, spreading the pins SLIGHTLY and resealing w electrolitic grease.  those canon plugs can cause problems.
  • if you are still swearing at it: remove, examine then re-seat the ecm connectors and fuel injector connector (not the individual injector connectors but, rather, the 4 pin that carries signal to all 8 injectors.
  • it might be worth dumping $30 on a new crank position sensor.

good luck w it; sick boats are, well, sick

1 hour ago, Jason7773 said:

justgary, it was a little low so I changed the pump out of frustration. Still quits. 

Changing the pump doesn't mean you have the correct fuel pressure.  Your regulator could be bad.