Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Cable Replacement

alexcbevington

So I have a 2000 Malibu LSV escape and it’s the one with the V Drive and I’m trying to replace the steering cable and cannot figure out how to get it off does anyone have any info on this or a manual that could help? Thank you!

Has it seized up completely. I replaced a few and was facing doing a third. I took the cable of the steering rack at the helm end,placed it into a bag with some wd40 in it. Then taped and cable tied the open end on the outer sleeve. Hung it up so it basically looked like a hospital drip. I left it a week and all the lube had worked it's way down the cable. Within a few turns of the wheel it went from virtually completed jammed to as good as new. Will probably try and do it yearly now or at least next time it gets tight. I think it just gets gummed up where water can get in from rudder end. I did also add loads of grease at rudder end. The anodising comes of the guide tube there and mine corroded solid over a winter of no use.

• Thanks 1
On 6/13/2019 at 1:56 AM, stimps said:

Has it seized up completely. I replaced a few and was facing doing a third. I took the cable of the steering rack at the helm end,placed it into a bag with some wd40 in it. Then taped and cable tied the open end on the outer sleeve. Hung it up so it basically looked like a hospital drip. I left it a week and all the lube had worked it's way down the cable. Within a few turns of the wheel it went from virtually completed jammed to as good as new. Will probably try and do it yearly now or at least next time it gets tight. I think it just gets gummed up where water can get in from rudder end. I did also add loads of grease at rudder end. The anodising comes of the guide tube there and mine corroded solid over a winter of no use.

No it hasn’t seized completely it’s just really hard to turn.

If you do replace it pull a line through with the new cable so you have a pull line for any new wires you may want to run from the engine compartment to the helm in the future.

The hardest part of replacement is cutting off the old rack (hack saw or big cutter) and detaching the cable from the rudder arm (stop it from spinning).  Otherwise it's just taping them together with duct tape (taper both ends) and a pull through from front to back.  Doable for one but easier with two.

19 hours ago, minnmarker said:

If you do replace it pull a line through with the new cable so you have a pull line for any new wires you may want to run from the engine compartment to the helm in the future.

The hardest part of replacement is cutting off the old rack (hack saw or big cutter) and detaching the cable from the rudder arm (stop it from spinning).  Otherwise it's just taping them together with duct tape (taper both ends) and a pull through from front to back.  Doable for one but easier with two.

That's pretty much what I did when I had to replace mine before I tried the relubing. I didn't have to cut anything off though. Just attached a line at the steering arm end, taped it too stop snagging and pulled it through from the helm. Came out all in one then. Reversed procedure to get new one in. Wish I had kept the old one as I reckon I could have hung it up in the shed and let it soak. Probably would have been fine again.