Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is L96 6.0L engine good or Monsoon 350 better in a 2011 VLX?

Jliz

New to the group and looking at two boats.   One is a 2012 Wakestter VLX with the Monsoon 350 50hrs and the second is a 2011 Wakesetter VLX with the L96 6.0 and 600+ hrs.  Both are in excellent condition just trying to decide if the L96 is a good motor and will be better than the Monsoon.   Also the 2011 is fully loaded with these extras the 2012 does not have - Heater, hot/cold shower, under water lights and tower lights.   The 2012 does have the tower camera which the 2011 does not have.   Otherwise they are both set up the same.    Thanks for any help on this!

1 minute ago, Jliz said:

New to the group and looking at two boats.   One is a 2012 Wakestter VLX with the Monsoon 350 50hrs and the second is a 2011 Wakesetter VLX with the L96 6.0 and 600+ hrs.  Both are in excellent condition just trying to decide if the L96 is a good motor and will be better than the Monsoon.   Also the 2011 is fully loaded with these extras the 2012 does not have - Heater, hot/cold shower, under water lights and tower lights.   The 2012 does have the tower camera which the 2011 does not have.   Otherwise they are both set up the same.    Thanks for any help on this!

I'd rather have more HP, but 50 hrs vs 600 hrs ads complication to the decision.   Do they both have snap out carpet? 

Yes they both have the snap out carpet.   Its a tough decision just not sure all the options on the 2011 make up for the 50 hrs on the 2012.  Plus I do not know much about the L96 6.0 engine.  I know the 383 Hammerhead had its issues and don't want to run into that kind of expense.   I should note the 2012 is $6,000 cheaper than the 2011 also.

Both are essentially the same boat in every respect except for the engines. I had 1024 hours on my 2010, 350 when i sold it and it pulled like a champ with the 1235 prop.  The operation of the boat, ride, room and wake will be the same. Neither one is surf gated and both will have V1 of the power wedge so no clear cut decision of one over the other. Where you may see a difference is how quickly little issues like a ballast pump failing on you after just buying the 600 hr boat. It happens on lower hour boats, but something you will have to expect happens sooner on a 600 hr boat over a 50hr boat. What has he replaced so far? The extras you stated i personally would not worry about unless you have a short season and the heater and shower may give you another week of boarding, maybe. My only concern with the 50hr boat is why only 50? Was it maintained like it was being used or put to bed to sit? All things being equal the 50 hr boat sounds like a better deal. JM2C

The 2012 with 50hrs only is because they went through divorce and their two daughters who wakeboard were not using the boat much if at all so basically was used at time to stroll the lake.   The dealer has always done all the services and whatever needed.   I do have a good relationship with the owner of the dealership and is giving us I feel a great deal on the 2012.   The 2011 with the big motor and 600+ hrs is not local and in a different state.   Just trying to make the right decision as we will have for a super long time.   Right now I feel the best is to go with the 2012 50hr boat and is local.    Also we don't ride like we used too so the heater and shower really are not that big of deal.   I can add the underwater lights and tower lights for that matter.  Just didn't know if that big motor was a huge deal and if was a huge deal if it is a really good motor too.   The 2012 50 hr boat with the Monsoon 350 does have the 1235 prop already on it.  Came that way when ordered new.   Thanks for all your input help!

• Like 1

L96 is a better motor.  The 350 is a GEN-I SBC last updated in 1996, with updates that basically came from the 1992 LT1.  The L96 is a GEN-IV SBC released in 2010.  It is a better design and makes more power.