Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-drive vs ZF Hurth

Glasschaser

I have an 04 Sunscape 21 LSV. It looks like it has a V Drive transmissions that is a separate unit from the ZF Hurth Transmission. I was just comparing my boat with my brothers which is an 01 Mastercraft X10. We are trying to figure out why they are so different in the transmission set up. His appears to only have the one ZF Hurth  (not a separate v drive). Anyone know why? Which is better?

Different suppliers is all. Yours may be a Walter V drive. I have had both a Walter and a Hurth and both are near bullet proof with the minimum of maintenance. My Walter was 30W oil and my Hurth was DEX/MERC ATF. I have seen different VD's on the same MY boats. It just depends on what was remaining on the shelf on the build date I imagine. I will say my '06 Walter was quieter than my '10 Hurth and my '19 is quieter than both. My Hurth VD did kind of look like a single unit when it was mated to the trans. Neither one is any better than the other. The only drama you will hear about on here was/is with transmissions and damper plate failures on (IIRC) 05-08 boats. I did have an issue with the sump pan bolts backing out of my Walter and weeping oil. Not uncommon and an easy, albeit messy fix.

Yes, you are correct... Mine has a Walter VD, and it has a ZF Hurth transmission. So what your saying is that his is just like mine except that his VD is the same manufacturer as his transmission (ZF Hurth)? It looks very different from mine. My Walter VD takes up a lot of room in my boat that's empty in his. Also, what is IIRC ?. Thank you for all the great info. 

5 hours ago, Glasschaser said:

Yes, you are correct... Mine has a Walter VD, and it has a ZF Hurth transmission. So what your saying is that his is just like mine except that his VD is the same manufacturer as his transmission (ZF Hurth)? It looks very different from mine. My Walter VD takes up a lot of room in my boat that's empty in his. Also, what is IIRC ?. Thank you for all the great info. 

Yep, Hurth/Hurth. The Walter is kind of big in comparison, but stout. If I Remember Correctly, IIRC.