Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 VTX Screen issues

(New Here) Just bought Bought got full check up and was cleared as well for this issue yet...... Took it out and screen was Clichy lines running through it could not see it at all......previous owner said during demo he thought it was cause he went to lower amp hour battery set up and or the batteries needed to be charged. So waited on the water for a few minutes and flicked and knocked screen with finger and it came on.......and was fine from there on.....but all the other gauges had a flicker to them like a short or ground loose? Any thoughts or answers would help thanks much.

On 6/11/2019 at 2:00 PM, HBDutchindo said:

(New Here) Just bought Bought got full check up and was cleared as well for this issue yet...... Took it out and screen was Clichy lines running through it could not see it at all......previous owner said during demo he thought it was cause he went to lower amp hour battery set up and or the batteries needed to be charged. So waited on the water for a few minutes and flicked and knocked screen with finger and it came on.......and was fine from there on.....but all the other gauges had a flicker to them like a short or ground loose? Any thoughts or answers would help thanks much.

1.Check the RCA cables under your dash going to back of screen as well as into the Viper box for a loose connection or rusted cable ends.

2.Make sure your running the most current software (our '09 VLX is va17) anything newer is not compatible with this years box.

3.Make sure your batteries are running top notch (our screen would act up when our previous batteries were coming to the end of their lives)

4.Your malivue screen and/or viper box may need to be replaced (Worst case scenario!)

Thank you Heard. So ya we took dash apart and sure enough the RCA cables under dash was loose. How do you update the software? Do they do the update when serviced? How do you know what software is being ran? Whats a viper box? 

I am running into the same issue with my 09' LSV. I have the Va13  version and want to upgrade the software to the Va17 if anyone has the download. Here is what I have learned to get me to this point:

Viper box - blue control box directly under the dash that seems to be the brains of the boat

Updating - There is a usb port under the dash near the blue viper box. You download the new update onto a USB drive(only that file) and use the setup menu on the screen to upload the update.

Current software - You can locate that in the setup menu under MaliView Information

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you BLavrack. Ya its super glitchy.....when turning on power to boat even the left hand digital switch is glitchy and it's brand new (replaced last week due to half dead screen)but the main screen will either work or not with glitch going through it.........Now yesterday the wedge /actuators stuck the wedge in down position!!! We checked each actuator and they work fine yet the system is not communicating correctly.  Reading up on all this it seems we are gonna need to replace the whole screen since its glitchy already and the wedge control system is the screen itself. I will anyway.........I will check the software before replacing to see what we are running. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I emailed Malibu directly for viper update for maliview system and heard directly back from Dan. He stated it is very important to load the correct software into the Viper.

You are asking for software VA17, do you currently have VA16? If so, then VA17 should work. But if you have VA14 or VA14.2 then VA17 will not work. So he sent me a ZIP file for 14.2 and 17 which I didn't need. I proceded with the 14.2 update in followed the instructions he sent along with zip files. All glitches went away.......for a day then the "service engine" beep came on while on the water a few times and we only have 285 hours on a boat which was "serviced" weeks ago? So I'm assuming it maybe from the update......or its another glitch. Oh and also power wedge will no longer deploy up or down? (Checked each actuator and both work) yet the system will not tell them to?