Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Stevo

Yeti / RTIC hard cooler for walkway

Recommended Posts

Stevo

For those of you that have the hard coolers what size fits in the walkway under the windshield??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stevo
Posted (edited)

Yeah that was what’s prompting my question  

i doubt I can make the 110 fit, but I think the 65 will work  if it tucks up nice against the bow cushions.

110= 20 inches across the top

65= 18.5 inches across the top

45= 16.5 inches across the top

Edited by Stevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bird

So here is what I did. Purchased a marine cooler from west marine. Removed the hinges and catch from the sides and placed on the ends. In my 22VLX I place a foam water float around the base so it doesn’t slide around. Now the lid opens with out pinching against the wall thru. Not the most expensive cooler but always enough for a long day at the lake. Use a AO cooler for stand by and drink ice under the side seat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stevo

This can be easily done with the igloo coolers using the existing hinges , switching them from the back to the end  for better opening access, 

I’m looking for a more HD cooler , and I have Gatorstep flooring so it won’t be sliding around.

ill probably end up going with a GS top deck for the cooler too

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparky450

Let me know I can measure my yeti 45 tomorrow if you like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stevo

Can anyone fit a 65 in the walkway?

i just don’t think the 45 is big enough to warrant the 200, when the 65 is just $35 more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB

I agree on the size of the 45.  Just too small for the price.

And I am over my love affair with Rtic.  Bought some coozies for the boat, and none of the lids really go on right.  My 115 (or whatever size the cooler is) has feet that won't stay in.  A friend with an Rtic has the same problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stevo

I have the soft 60 and it’s great,  stainless tumbler is solid too.

my wife despises the under seat cooler because someone is always sitting in that seat,

i figure the solid hard coolers are my best bet for the kids and people to just step on and walk over to get into the bow, and easily access a drink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB

I agree on the style of cooler, and not using the under seat one because it is a pain.  We have two hard Yeti's, a soft side Yeti, a couple of Yeti coozies.  From Rtic I have the big cooler, a large thermos, and about 8 of the coozies.  Yeti is much higher quality.

For customers I have bought from Orca, they are less expensive than Yeti and higher quality than the Rtic.  The Grizzly has also been good.  I won't buy anything else from Rtic.

Either way, it is nice to have the cooler on the floor and easily accessible.  The rotomolded coolers are nice because you can stand/step on them and they can be an extra seat in a pinch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
isellacuras
Posted (edited)

I just got the 110 and it’s way bigger than I expected.  No way it would fit in the walkway. Not to mention it weighs almost 50# empty.  The 65 is almost 40#. That’s just to big and heavy for a boat cooler in my opinion. It would be close to 100# by the time it’s full.  I have 30 and 20 soft coolers and the 30 is my go to. It’s easy to get in and out of the boat and I don’t worry about it banging around in the boat when moving it around. It stays in the walkway. If I have a big crew or a long day, I use the under seat cooler along with the 30 and just deal with the inconvenience of the stock cooler location but I try to pack strategically to where we don’t have to get under the seat as often. My Under seat cooler is hard to use because I have to scoot the drivers seat forward a little to access it since it hits the back of the drivers seat. I’ve been considering a soft 40. Didn’t know they made a soft 60. 

Edited by isellacuras

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy

has anybody tried the monoprice knockoffs?  

they have hard and soft coolers... thinking about the 30 can one which is $80 right now with a coupon code... which seems like a good price in comparison to the yeti and rtic, but seems like a lot to spend on a soft sided cooler if it sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eagleboy99

I like this part of the Monoprice ad copy:  "Ordinary coolers are a magnet for bears, who open them easily and either consume or make a mess of your food. That is not the case with Emperor Coolers."  As if...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nitrousbird
48 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

has anybody tried the monoprice knockoffs?  

they have hard and soft coolers... thinking about the 30 can one which is $80 right now with a coupon code... which seems like a good price in comparison to the yeti and rtic, but seems like a lot to spend on a soft sided cooler if it sucks.

That seems pricey for a soft sided.  I paid $90 shipped for my 48, 36 and 24 Vinyl series pack as a package (okay, it was a really good sale), but you can usually find an AO sale somewhere.  Then you are getting a real deal vs a knockoff.  

I can tell you my 48 pack gets real freaking heavy loaded up; I'd hate to try to get a hard sided cooler that is heavy then full of ice/drinks on the boat while on the trailer.  Something will get hurt (me or the boat) in the process.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stevo
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, isellacuras said:

Not to mention it weighs almost 50# empty.  The 65 is almost 40#. That’s just to big and heavy for a boat cooler in my opinion. It would be close to 100# by the time it’s full.  

Didn’t know they made a soft 60. 

Duh,  you drink until you dial in the right amount of weight

 

Correction my soft is a 40

Edited by Stevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
95echelon

I have the rtic soft 30 and love it in the walkway. Kids can step on it too. I keep a big hardside on the porch for re-supply between runs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB
4 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

That seems pricey for a soft sided.  I paid $90 shipped for my 48, 36 and 24 Vinyl series pack as a package (okay, it was a really good sale), but you can usually find an AO sale somewhere.  Then you are getting a real deal vs a knockoff.  

I can tell you my 48 pack gets real freaking heavy loaded up; I'd hate to try to get a hard sided cooler that is heavy then full of ice/drinks on the boat while on the trailer.  Something will get hurt (me or the boat) in the process.  

I have an AO as well. Can’t really compare it to a Yeti side soft cooler. Much different build quality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nitrousbird
1 hour ago, RyanB said:

I have an AO as well. Can’t really compare it to a Yeti side soft cooler. Much different build quality. 

Does it hold ice any longer?  My 48 can AO has years of abuse on it and going strong.  Holding ice longer is the only thing my AO could do better, but that's a problem with all soft sided coolers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB
1 minute ago, Nitrousbird said:

Does it hold ice any longer?  My 48 can AO has years of abuse on it and going strong.  Holding ice longer is the only thing my AO could do better, but that's a problem with all soft sided coolers.

I think so.  The main use my Yeti soft cooler gets is with my fishing boat, which is usually in cooler weather than when I take the Malibu out.  It easily holds ice/cold for a day at a time.  I don't feel the same about the AO.

And it seems to me with hard use, that AO wouldn't last much more than a year.  I don't see ever needing to replace the Yeti.  On the downside, it is the original style with the real stiff zipper that grabs your hand as you reach inside it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nitrousbird
1 minute ago, RyanB said:

I think so.  The main use my Yeti soft cooler gets is with my fishing boat, which is usually in cooler weather than when I take the Malibu out.  It easily holds ice/cold for a day at a time.  I don't feel the same about the AO.

And it seems to me with hard use, that AO wouldn't last much more than a year.  I don't see ever needing to replace the Yeti.  On the downside, it is the original style with the real stiff zipper that grabs your hand as you reach inside it.

Is your AO not the vinyl series?  Mine gets plenty of hard use.  Filled to the gills TIGHTLY, tossed around, and a zip/unzipped a lot all summer.  I think I'm on my 4th year with it.  It will hold ice all day as well - used two of them on the boat each day during our vacation 2 weeks ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB
1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

Is your AO not the vinyl series?  Mine gets plenty of hard use.  Filled to the gills TIGHTLY, tossed around, and a zip/unzipped a lot all summer.  I think I'm on my 4th year with it.  It will hold ice all day as well - used two of them on the boat each day during our vacation 2 weeks ago.  

Yes it is.  Lives under the seat where the OEM cooler went.  Maybe it doesn't hold ice due to the engine heat?  I just know it doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
footndale

Ozark Trails and the Lifetime coolers work the same as Yeti and Rtic and a whole lot cheaper.  Have both in the household and they keep every cold for 6 days + with no problems.

Go to Walmart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bbattiste247
1 hour ago, footndale said:

Ozark Trails and the Lifetime coolers work the same as Yeti and Rtic and a whole lot cheaper.  Have both in the household and they keep every cold for 6 days + with no problems.

Go to Walmart.

I would like to buy a hard cooler that holds ice longer than my AO soft cooler, but none of them fits under the seat. I have looked at a million coolers and I can't seem to find any hard sided ones similar to a Yeti, Ozark Trails, Lifetime that fit under the seat. I am OCD and I don't like anything on the floor or in the walkway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KeepingupwiththeJones

Nothing bigger than the 45 is fitting in the walkway. I do agree it’s not big enough. I have a soft 30 too and the two of them together do the trick.

FDC47ACA-C888-4BDC-B2CA-30A09EB5AEC9.thumb.jpeg.0f474d1e2791a0435da152d0d3a294e4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...