Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Features for 2020 Models - Speculations?

weekender

3 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

I like the size of the screen, but on the left side? There are not a lot of us who are left handed and it would be hard for me to pinpoint all the functions with my left hand. I can turn a knob with my left hand, but I don't have the dexterity to utilize all the functions with my finger. 

They have a cordless mouse option for the right handers 😂😂😂

• Like 1

Makes more sense to have the screen with audio controls, boat functions on the drivers left side so a passenger can mess with the radio without disturbing the driver.

ahopkins22LSV

I’m torn on whether or not I like the knob/screen swap. It is annoying to bump the knob or have my kid play with it. But at least I can just turn the stereo off and then readjust speed if I need to. Now the heater, lights, blower, etc will all be turned on and off all the time. I also agree with the left hand statement above. I think I want the main boat controls on my right have. We’ll see how it functions though. 

I do not like how the two screens have contrasting color schemes though. They clash and the screens today are the same and they flow together perfectly. 

Probably unpopular but on that photo I like my current screen and layout better. 

• Like 2

Dash is an upgrade in the aesthetics department. I also will like not having passengers accidentally bumping into the knob changing the volume or the songs. The numbers for the wedge position is also simple but great.  I did hear it’s android based too, so might provide some more options there in the future, but it doesn’t appear to be functionally too different yet. 

2 minutes ago, IXFE said:

For everybody wondering why they would flip flop the screen with the sport knob, you obviously haven’t paid much attention to @Slurpee who recently described it as...

7DA964A9-A86C-4325-8A76-534F54134622.gif

My life is complete. I’ve made an Ixfe meme! Roflmao. Priceless.

Still, I like my new radio a heck of a lot better. ;)

15D86B6D-FFB0-4AC1-AF1F-A62F9A98B089.thumb.jpeg.3c2e625d8a8c1790e72489a8a6f94856.jpeg

• Like 1

At first I thought the lower screen was a newer bigger screen... but now I am wondering if that is the same screen as before, just rotated 90 degrees and moved over to the left side.  I hope it is a bigger screen, hard to tell.

21 minutes ago, IXFE said:

For everybody wondering why they would flip flop the screen with the sport knob, you obviously haven’t paid much attention to @Slurpee who recently described it as...

7DA964A9-A86C-4325-8A76-534F54134622.gif

love it!

21 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

My life is complete. I’ve made an Ixfe meme! Roflmao. Priceless.

Still, I like my new radio a heck of a lot better. ;)

15D86B6D-FFB0-4AC1-AF1F-A62F9A98B089.thumb.jpeg.3c2e625d8a8c1790e72489a8a6f94856.jpeg

Just wanted you to know somebody was paying attention. That part of your video is epic. And it honestly made me think about the awkward ergonomics of the current dash. Not sure why the change but it addresses the points you made in the video (minus the face recognition). 

I’m sorta curious what it would look like if I did stereo delete. I wonder how I could get the Fusion headunit in there on the right. 

19 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Just wanted you to know somebody was paying attention. That part of your video is epic. And it honestly made me think about the awkward ergonomics of the current dash. Not sure why the change but it addresses the points you made in the video (minus the face recognition). 

I’m sorta curious what it would look like if I did stereo delete. I wonder how I could get the Fusion headunit in there on the right. 

Thanks. I’m glad it made someone thoughtful about change. I tried to be clear and mute my personality a bit. But I couldn’t resist the dab. Hah.  

Well, there’s a new smaller Fusion Apollo head unit that would be easier to fit. I stopped looking at it when i saw it didn’t have Airplay. But it looked like it had most everything else though. 

There’s also a unit from JL and Wetsounds that I think could be made to have the same clean look if they’d get the job done for you  

The only thing I’ve found so far I dislike about the Fusion radio is they didn’t match gains between Airplay and USB. I haven’t checked BLE yet. But the first two are a big difference. About 6dB. I’m hopeful to find a DSP setting in there somewhere to address that. 

And the Fusion transom remote apparently doesn’t recognize Airplay as a source (yet I’m told) so it’s kind of useless for displaying/controlling content unless a different source is used. Volume still seems to work though. So that’s 90% of what I needed from it. 

On 6/21/2019 at 10:43 PM, IXFE said:

Sounds like the start of the "Way too early 2020 IXFE Edition" Thread. 

On 6/22/2019 at 6:45 AM, gregtay said:

Just showing new vs current.

F6310090-94BC-4879-9372-8D3C33457B9F.thumb.jpeg.7babbcf83155cd61fdbac75cb8dfbfe8.jpeg

490B32CF-46FA-4F25-BE65-2CFB5E19F303.thumb.jpeg.d78a457477f62542750d642576b04bbb.jpeg

Rotary Knob made sense on the left, at least anyone in the boat could use it while the driver was occupied.....

Check this out... the icon in the far left is the Android logo! It isn’t the Android Auto logo, so I don’t think this is AA or CarPlay (but it could be)..  my guess is that screen is also an android tablet, maybe with an LTE connection and you can then run the Spotify or whatever music app you want. It will be interesting to see what this is. If that’s the case I can see more justification for moving this to the left side so other people in the boat can choose songs, etc

AA3913D2-1A07-4613-810A-5A44D4FD2411.jpeg.34e106cf7de7ea65b139ad58596cb8b9.jpeg

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Check this out... the icon in the far left is the Android logo! It isn’t the Android Auto logo, so I don’t think this is AA or CarPlay (but it could be)..  my guess is that screen is also an android tablet, maybe with an LTE connection and you can then run the Spotify or whatever music app you want. It will be interesting to see what this is. If that’s the case I can see more justification for moving this to the left side so other people in the boat can choose songs, etc

AA3913D2-1A07-4613-810A-5A44D4FD2411.jpeg.34e106cf7de7ea65b139ad58596cb8b9.jpeg

And I think this is a Wi-Fi icon? If so then the boat likely does have an LTE connection and is a Wi-Fi hot spot. Which could also mean over the air updates for the electronics if needed, real time weather, camera controls, etc. 

4CB40636-4599-42EA-80CA-92C9C46209C7.jpeg.78e3b248a9da618712ddfc75a321649a.jpeg

Edited by gregtay
  • Like 1
On 6/21/2019 at 4:49 PM, vaporbluebu said:

Funny how different we all are. The fact that they changed the sport knob to the other side was the first thing I noticed and was excited about. Our knob gets bumped into ALL the time, muting the stereo, changing the speed...drives me crazy!

I am in this camp 100%.  ALWAYS gets bumped.  

• Like 2
10 hours ago, gregtay said:

And I think this is a Wi-Fi icon? If so then the boat likely does have an LTE connection and is a Wi-Fi hot spot. Which could also mean over the air updates for the electronics if needed, real time weather, camera controls, etc. 

4CB40636-4599-42EA-80CA-92C9C46209C7.jpeg.78e3b248a9da618712ddfc75a321649a.jpeg

Makes sense, Mastercraft has had this for minute with Spark. (Over the Air Updates)

Meh on the new layout.  I've never had the sport knob bumped so I'm surprised to hear that this is a big issue for most.  I do like the numbered wedge positions!

• Like 2

The numbered wedge positions are the real hero.

"Wait, by 2 clicks do you mean including lift? Or 2 clicks from Vert?' I've seriously had debates over what "2 clicks" means. New Axis rocks. "Set it to Wedge 4", couldn't be clearer.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, eubanks said:

Meh on the new layout.  I've never had the sport knob bumped so I'm surprised to hear that this is a big issue for most.  I do like the numbered wedge positions!

I’m guessing there is a direct correlation between the number of knob bumps we have and the number of kids on the boat! Doesn’t seem to be an issue when there are only adults. 🤔

• Like 2

New dash looks like a very nice evolution to me.  I think the ergonomics make sense.  Yeah, everyone has speed control, but technically if you're driving safely, you should always have a hand near the throttle.  Limiting the controls on that side makes sense from a safety perspective.  The part I'm not so sure of is the automotive steering wheel.  Does anyone really drive a wake boat with hands at 10 and 2?  And is the middle section a horn button (would be cool to be able to lay on the horn like in a car actually).  :)

11 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

New dash looks like a very nice evolution to me.  I think the ergonomics make sense.  Yeah, everyone has speed control, but technically if you're driving safely, you should always have a hand near the throttle.  Limiting the controls on that side makes sense from a safety perspective.  The part I'm not so sure of is the automotive steering wheel.  Does anyone really drive a wake boat with hands at 10 and 2?  And is the middle section a horn button (would be cool to be able to lay on the horn like in a car actually).  :)

My 2008 came with a steering wheel (Issota Zulag) very similar in shape/design as the new one and after a few years I took it off and put on a really nice thick heavy three spoke uni-directional wheel(Gussi Futura) ... for the exact reason you state, the wheel was very rarely at 12 o'clock, especially when surfing.  It looked nice but it wasn't super practical as your hands were never where the thicker bumps were on the wheel.  I do wish the stock 2019 wheel was a little thicker but other than that it is nice but I really miss the Futura and might have to pick one up for the new boat.  I am curious if Malibu went in house with their new wheel or if it is an Issota or Gussi.  Also.. curious if they added an option for a heated steering wheel this time around.