Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Add ons add value?

MTB4LIFE29

Hi there,

Looking at purchasing a used LSV 23 most likely around 07-10. Specifically found a 2007 LSV 23 with a hammerhead and some nice add-ones like surf gate, additional plumbed in 1800lbs of ballast, fresh air exhaust and wetsound speakers. My question being is do boats appreciate with such upgrades beyond book? I know in a car putting additional motor upgrades or accessories may add a tiny bit of value, but nothing significant or way over book.  They are roughly 7k over book at high retail and wanna make a good decision.

Any insight is much appreciated!

Cheers!

Edited by MTB4LIFE29

They add value for insurance purposes and they can add value on a used boat option basis, more options, more value but I wouldn’t let I influence my purchase price too much cause that’s the sellers view point not yours 

My take - It's about enjoying the boat. The versatility provided by the Surf Gate truly has value in enjoyment level. If you have plans for surfing, you are going to want to be able to switch on command. The extra ballast is in the same category. Like the SG, it provides somewhere to progress  your riding level. FAE is one that I don't understand so much. People like that it's quiet, and I kinda like the growl. Others say that it's a CO thing, but nobody has ever mentioned the smell of my not-so-fresh-air-exhaust. Pretty sure it's standard on new boats (or darn near) so that means something. There is music playing any second we are on the boat. Glad I paid extra for the upgrade.

Aside from the motor, one could add aftermarket updated SG, FAE, and ballast, but you are looking at minimum $5,000 for those 3 upgrades. Add to that another $1,500 x 2 for Rev10's or $1,350 x 4 for Rev8's.

Bottom line is, if you are buying a surf boat, you should pay more for the ride progression and tunes quality. If you are buying a bowrider, ignore all of the above and go cheap.

I have not ever had much faith in book values.  boat prices vary widely by location, certain features, and especially time of year.  there are enough comparable boats out there to determine a rough market value based on craigslist boat trader and other sites.  

if you are financing the boat you may be constrained to staying near book values but I don't use the book as a negotiating tool.  just find some other boats that meet your needs and compare price points. 

I'm just suggesting that you will get more enjoyment and ability to progress your riding with the upgrades you mentioned. Unfortunately, you would have to put the dollar value on that amount of enjoyment. 

Try using comps with the upgrades you talk about. As soon as you get into the SG era, the numbers seem to go into the stratosphere. I realize they are newer boats, but even the earliest SG boats are seeming to hold their value. To me, it makes sense that this market effect is probably pressing the non-SG boats down further. 

Book value is tough. I'm sure the seller knows the value of his version of the 2007. Proper maintenance records, appearance of the vinyl, how clean is the boat - all those will give you a feeling if it was well taken care of. Then it's about enjoyment level. 

In the end - You gotta have a good deal that you can live with. I'm the type of guy that would always want the stuff I wanted at purchase time, and it would haunt me the whole time I had the boat. 

2 hours ago, MTB4LIFE29 said:

Hi there,

Looking at purchasing a used LSV 23 most likely around 07-10. Specifically found a 2007 LSV 23 with a hammerhead and some nice add-ones like surf gate, additional plumbed in 1800lbs of ballast, fresh air exhaust and wetsound speakers. My question being is do boats appreciate with such upgrades beyond book? I know in a car putting additional motor upgrades or accessories may add a tiny bit of value, but nothing significant or way over book.  They are roughly 7k over book at high retail and wanna make a good decision.

Any insight is much appreciated!

Cheers!

Price also depends on where you live. I have seen similar boats listed around 45k on the east coast. I have an 07 23LSV with GSA/wavecontrol plus the same ballast and would probably list at 45k if I were selling right now. Good luck!

I think those are some pretty significant upgrades. Depending on how good of a surf system they installed, it would be at least $3k to add to a boat. Assuming they used reversible pumps for the ballast with switches and the whole 9 yards, you're looking at another big chunk of change. Fresh air exhaust is another $500, and wetsounds are big ticket speakers, especially if you get into multiple amps etc. 

If all these upgrades put the 2007 boat in the same functional league as a newer surf gate boat, then I believe any price under $48k is worth considering. Anything closer to $50k and over would be worth looking at 2015 and newer axis boats. My opinion.

8 hours ago, BigCreek said:

FAE is one that I don't understand so much. People like that it's quiet, and I kinda like the growl. Others say that it's a CO thing, but nobody has ever mentioned the smell of my not-so-fresh-air-exhaust. Pretty sure it's standard on new boats (or darn near) so that means something. 

Fyi, CO is odorless by itself, more importantly lack of O² is odorless as well. If you've ever felt light headed while surfing, you've likely experienced one of the above. More importantly, if your riders aren't aware of the risk, they are at greater risk.

Noise is also something that causes fatigue and stress. You may like the growl, but your senses will be happier if it is quieter

• Like 2
8 hours ago, MTB4LIFE29 said:

My question being is do boats appreciate with such upgrades beyond book?

"Book" is a collection of values or believed values from insurers and previous sales. What you and others pay can ultimately affect "book" value. 

The seller price can always be above book and that might influence the buyers demand.

A hardcore surfer may have no interest in a Malibu without surfgate, either because of the extra cost or less than stock of aftermarket systems. Therefore, reducing demand. Ie, if I really want sg, and there and 1 boat with and 1 without, aftermarket pricing says I should consider paying at least $3k more for the boat with, and that's if the gsa system is acceptable to me.

15 hours ago, smileysteve said:

Fyi, CO is odorless by itself, more importantly lack of O² is odorless as well. If you've ever felt light headed while surfing, you've likely experienced one of the above. More importantly, if your riders aren't aware of the risk, they are at greater risk.

Noise is also something that causes fatigue and stress. You may like the growl, but your senses will be happier if it is quieter

I'm aware that the CO itself is odorless. Exhaust, that which contains the CO, has a pretty pungent smell. Nobody has ever been lightheaded behind the boat, and everyone is aware of the risk. Maybe as my boat ages, this may become an issue. Hasn't yet. 

I'll confess that I do sleep like a champ after a day on the lake, so I'm with you on the fatigue possibility (could be some other factors). While some sounds are intolerable and super-stress-inducing (baby crying, smoke alarm beeping, EDM), I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt, that this particular noise causes the opposite of stress for me. 

If they are things that you would have needed, then certainly has value. If you care to have a great stereo, and the alternative is to buy a boat and dump $5k into the stereo, then clearly there is some value in having it already done.

I always see ballast setups this way. You can easily spend a few thousand putting ballast bags and piggy back systems in a boat, so that's clearly worth it.

For some people, all of the above is a MUST. For others, they don't care to have any of it.

In my opinion, sounds like a great boat that someone put some time and effort into dialing in. I would highly prefer it over a completely stock boat that will need money put into it, to get it to where it will surf well and crank out tunes.

So 7,000 over can be justified if you are looking for these options IMHO. As it would cost you to add them as well:

GSA: $4,000.00 plus installation

Add on Ballast: I spent $3,000.00 on parts to add 3,650 lbs of ballast.. not including labor and rear is piggy back

Stereo: I upgraded amps, sub and tower at 3,450.00 and no labor

FAE: FREE from raffle  :tease1:  (sort of free, $500.00 gift card + additional $20.00 out of pocket and tax) 

I won't get what I put into it, but I would expect more than boat B that has none of the upgrades. 

As others stated, what is going rate for same boat in your area as the prices are all over the scale from region to region. I drove to Ohio from Texas to save $25,000.00 on boat.

Edited by kerpluxal

SG, if it was done right, definitely adds value as does a good (fast, reliable) ballast system install.  stereo and such doesn't as much, but would influence me to get a boat with a stereo upgrade over one without if prices were close.  most boats nowadays have tower speakers ++. 

my .02 is get a surfgate boat if you can--pending that it's on GPS control and is installed like from the factory.  i wouldn't pay 2k more for that however because it can be done for pretty cheap nowadays.