Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Filing prop

I have a prop that sings at idle after repair. I was told (not from repair shop) that it is normal and was totally fine. Reading another thread it sounds like it can be remedied by just filing the trailing edge square.

For those that have had prop sing after repair and filed yourself, what did you use? Pics of area filed? I dont want to do to much or have to put it on and off several times. TIA

I’d take it to the prop shop and have them take care of it.  A sing is due to turbulence and vibration.  It’s prob. Slightly out of true.  If it is truly at idle, it’s not the prop.

By the way, what song?

Edited by brazosvet

I'll assume you mean it's singing at idle in gear.  Have you inspected it to be sure your trailing edges need the work?  I've done some filing on mine to clear it from a prop repaired by a shop (that I'll never use again).  It's an iterative process where you do a small amount and go test.  It doesn't usually take much, and I just used a flat file.  I got rid of 99% of what I had at the time, but that prop since got dinged and repaired by a good shop, so doesn't sing at all anymore. 

You do need to be careful to file evenly across the blades, or you can put your prop out of balance.  If that makes you nervous, just take it to a good prop shop and let them do it.  It helps to have a good prop to look at to know where the squared off portion starts.  If you're looking for a good shop, I can't recommend PropMD in Plymouth, MN enough - great service, reasonable repair rates, and fast turn-around times (even when you ship it).

Brazo - you're right that the sing is due to turbulence, but most of the time that turbulence is caused by having a trailing edge that sheds water in a different way after a repair (usually because they changed the trailing edge profile).