Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Big_Moose_Wakesetter

Deka AGM & Charging

Big_Moose_Wakesetter

I’ve been on the lookout for a new battery wand wanted an AGM to relocate it under the observer’s seat.  I have an Interstate group 29 as my house battery with a Perko switch.  This new one will ideally be focused starting but the Interstate does that just fine as well so both batteries will probably handle both tasks.

I had a Deka group 31 AGM in mind and went to a battery shop and they had a great deal on an automotive version of that exact battery with a case defect - just some jacked up plastic and it was manufactured last month.  The guy helping me said that’s what he uses in his Nautique and said the posts are the only difference between the Deka automotive and marine AGMs so I was convinced.  Any concerns about that?

Also, I have a ProMariner ProSport 20 charger.  I see the default charging profile is supposedly good for both flooded and AGM batteries.  There’s also a “High Performance AGM” profile recommended for Optimas and for West Marine AGMs (which I think may be the same as Deka - made by East Penn).  Any suggestions to use that charging profile over the standard one?  Thanks for any suggestions!

MadMan

I prefer automotive batteries, they come with twice the warranty and cost less.  I also haven't worried about the charging profile when using AGM batteries, after all they have to work with the boats charging system and it isn't AGM specific.

Big_Moose_Wakesetter
43 minutes ago, MadMan said:

I prefer automotive batteries, they come with twice the warranty and cost less.  I also haven't worried about the charging profile when using AGM batteries, after all they have to work with the boats charging system and it isn't AGM specific.

Thanks for the reply!  I appreciate the reassurance!  It wasn’t really my style to purchase the automotive battery without researching that a little bit first.

mikeo

I just put two Lifeline GPL-2700T batteries in my boat. The price was only ~$30 more than the Optima Blue Top and the warranty on the Lifeline is 5 years. I use lifeline batteries for my solar system as well, and I've never had a problem with them. I contacted customer service at Lifeline to ask about charging, and they suggested a NoCo Genius G7200 or a Pro Mariner, but said that the output from an alternator wouldn't cause issues for a "starting" rated battery. I have the parts to build a 3 stage or 5 stage AGM charger, however I'm not sure it's worth it unless I get really bored.

The GPL-2700T is listed as a marine battery, but I think that has more to do with the terminals than anything else:
https://lifelinebatteries.com/products/marine-batteries/gpl-2700t/

MadMan
Posted (edited)

I went with AGM's in my boat because I moved them to under a seat, and they fit better laying on their side (and Academy Sports had them for $99).

Just bought an AGM for my car, mainly because Sam's had them for $119.

Edited by MadMan