Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Factory rear camera?

Kyson07

The wife had them added as a resale point. :Doh: They work well (clear views) at rest and while under way as does the front camera, but I knew it would rarely get used, but I got voted off that island anyway! Using the front camera while trying to dock is like using a back up camera down my 300ft drive way. Its too late to react to something by the time the view is displayed on the screen and tunnel vision. The back up camera only works well to make sure you didn't leave any gear on the swim deck before you take off. I never rely on it when dealing with riders etc... I need to see skin to be sure. I personally would pass on them given a do over.

Edited by wdr
ahopkins22LSV

I like the rear view camera option. I do use it to reference the platform if backing up to pickup a rider or to a dock. I also turn it on when we are anchored so anyone in the boat can glance back at behind the boat from the cabin. The picture is pretty dang good. 

• Like 2

I bought it as an option on my new boat.  I mostly agree with what was said above.  Fun feature, the kids think its great to goof on, fine for a quick check before taking off.  However i am pretty disappointed with the lag time.  There is a short delay between the camera and screen on the dash, it shows up a bit glitchy (like watching a streaming video with poor wifi).  For the life of me I cant figure out why it isn't hardwired in like the backup cam on a truck or car.  From that standpoint my personal feeling is that its a bit of a gimmick, sounds cool but not practical.

Do you guys see the same image quality?  

I use it all the time when the kids are surfing, to see when the board has popped up. Otherwise they're often blocked by the transom.

It gets spray on it at times but I only remember once where we wiped it off to see better. It's on my must have option list. 

I use the rear view a lot - to see when a rider goes down, when a board pops ups, and backing out of the slip, checking that water is clear before starting up, etc.  

Front camera - not so much yet.  

B0F75DAF-A8C3-408C-8FBF-5C68D1226DDB.jpeg

I got it because in the grand scheme of things what the heck is a couple hundred bucks. I use the backup camera ALOT. I don’t have to tell passengers to sit down to know where the rider is. It makes got a much more pleasant day. The front camera, I could just as soon take off the boat. I never use it and it looks funny. 

I find the bow camera very useful when putting boat on trailer so  I know when i am at the bow roller , The rear is ok but like people have said it constantly has water on it . I wish they would put it on the tower like the nautiques. Lag is crappy as well  .

We only got the rear camera. I do use it to make sure the swim deck is up and that there are no ropes hanging off the back while surfing. It does get water on it quite regularly which renders it useless (same happens on my truck from time to time). It will be good for resale and my 7 year old likes to do stupid Fortnite dances in front of it. It does kind of suck that you can only enlarge the view when in neutral. It would be nice to get the screen bigger when surfing.

IMG_2166-X4.jpg

Edited by rsutton1223
6 hours ago, mikeo said:

for those with the camera: is there is a "take picture" or "screen capture" option so that we can (finally) store a picture with a rider profile?

No, not that I know of.  

Don't have it, but the front camera sounds like a waste. I can't imagine looking away from the dock or the trailer to use the screen. 

Rear camera is in use any time someone is being towed as it definitely adds to rider safety. It's also good for rope management and such. Plus, sometimes I like to watch my wife climb into the boat. Maybe the newer versions are fancier, but I have no lag at all, and it definitely looks like it's hard wired. 10% of the time it's showing walleye vision from water on the lens, but most of the time that was done by a rider dribbling on it. A quick wipe and we're back in business. Getting a screen shot should be an option, but I've never been able to find a way to record anything. Side note: I have never been able to display any pics or video from another source (SD, USB, etc.) either. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 6/10/2019 at 1:56 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

I like the rear view camera option. I do use it to reference the platform if backing up to pickup a rider or to a dock. I also turn it on when we are anchored so anyone in the boat can glance back at behind the boat from the cabin. The picture is pretty dang good. 

How is the refresh rate/ frames per second on your rear camera? Mine is about 2 frames a second (sometimes 1) so the video quality is terrible, it is more like looking at photos flipping by. Because of that I find it nearly useless for viewing what if going on behind the boat. Curious if yours works better.

3 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Same... very disappointed in that camera.

I have a feeling that in a couple years this will not help resale values because it will be well known that they are pretty crappy.  I say that as a person in the camp of "its only a couple hundred bucks so what the heck."

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

I have a feeling that in a couple years this will not help resale values because it will be well known that they are pretty crappy.  I say that as a person in the camp of "its only a couple hundred bucks so what the heck."

So long as they still work, the options resale box will be checked. Still kind of miffed that my wife wanted to check those boxes. Especially now that she has a selective memory on that decision.

It must be the Viper computer that has terrible performance and can’t manage the video stream. I can’t imagine Malibu sourcing a crappy camera with specs from 2005. I am going to guess the 2020+ computer is much better. When I test drive the Supra you could have the rear camera full screen and it was flawless.

I guess I am in the other camp - could the camera be better?  Yes.  But does it work for what I need it to do? Yes  Would I order it again? Absolutely  

Backing out of my slip space and checking the rear to see if folks are out of the water doesn’t require a high refresh rate.    When watching a rider, I do hear my spotter yell “down” before I see it in the camera, so the lag is there.  Now, if the intended use is to record video, then yes it is lacking.  

My 2 Cents.  Like the rear camera.  Been using it mostly make sure swim platform is clear before starting up engine.  No one still on the platform and clear of gear.   Also for picking up riders.   Nice to have for sure.  Very useful for seeing small children as cannot see them when sitting in driver seat.   

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I guess I am in the other camp - could the camera be better?  Yes.  But does it work for what I need it to do? Yes  Would I order it again? Absolutely  

Backing out of my slip space and checking the rear to see if folks are out of the water doesn’t require a high refresh rate.    When watching a rider, I do hear my spotter yell “down” before I see it in the camera, so the lag is there.  Now, if the intended use is to record video, then yes it is lacking.  

3 hours ago, ORMailbuboater said:

My 2 Cents.  Like the rear camera.  Been using it mostly make sure swim platform is clear before starting up engine.  No one still on the platform and clear of gear.   Also for picking up riders.   Nice to have for sure.  Very useful for seeing small children as cannot see them when sitting in driver seat.   

This is the camp I’m in as well. I don’t use it for fine tune docking, if I need that I have someone watch. It’s for reference in my opinion. I was never expecting 4K whatever hertz or whatever it’s rate din resolution. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Any followers of this topic know where the rear or dock cams actually plug in to a 2021? The only info I’m able to find is the RCA inputs on older models. Fiddling around under the dash, in the glovebox and in passenger storage I was unable to find any rca inputs nor was I able to find any other ports like a FACRA.

• 10 months later...

I've used them on a 2017 22 MXZ, 2017 24 MXZ, and a recent M240.  I wouldn't order a boat without, given how cheap of an option it is ($583 on my '22 M220).  It's just one more tool to keep an eye on my rider.  It lets me see what they are doing when I'm scanning ahead for traffic.  The edge of my eye catches it better than the rear view mirror.  I've never had an issue with water obscuring the lens.  Your mileage may vary.