Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Clean Spilled Oil in Hull

Last summer, my oil filter worked itself loose and began to leak oil into the hull.  I lost about 1.5 quarts of oil into hull.  I have tried to clean this oil as best I could but did not get all of it out.  Now, when I remove my trash can, the bottom of can is wet with oily water.  I have inspected the engine and oil filter to ensure there are no more leaks.  My question is what is the best way to clean the oil in my hull? 

I was thinking of parking boat on my steep driveway, fill part of the hull with hot soapy water and then trying to brush the bottom of the hull.  Afterwards, I would remove the rear drain plug and capture soapy and oily water in a 5 gallon bucket.  I was concerned about the soapy residue in my hull affecting the bilge pump.  I would appreciate any thoughts on how to clean an oily hull.  By the way, I have a 2015 22 VLX (if this helps your responses).

Thanks,   

1 hour ago, P6Expert said:

Last summer, my oil filter worked itself loose and began to leak oil into the hull.  I lost about 1.5 quarts of oil into hull.  I have tried to clean this oil as best I could but did not get all of it out.  Now, when I remove my trash can, the bottom of can is wet with oily water.  I have inspected the engine and oil filter to ensure there are no more leaks.  My question is what is the best way to clean the oil in my hull? 

I was thinking of parking boat on my steep driveway, fill part of the hull with hot soapy water and then trying to brush the bottom of the hull.  Afterwards, I would remove the rear drain plug and capture soapy and oily water in a 5 gallon bucket.  I was concerned about the soapy residue in my hull affecting the bilge pump.  I would appreciate any thoughts on how to clean an oily hull.  By the way, I have a 2015 22 VLX (if this helps your responses).

Thanks,   

Same thing happened to me last year. I caught it before I lost too much oil. I used this to clean mine.  I used the entire bottle mixed in hot water. I let it slosh around before I drained it. There might be something better but this is what my local dealer had.

https://www.iboats.com/shop/bio-kleen-bilge-cleaner.html

Dawn, or dish detergent should work also. Most dish soaps are environmentally safe and help break up oil. I've been using this method for years with a lot of success. 

Thanks to all for the help.  I used Dawn last night and recovered some nasty water in my 5 gallon bucket.  I will repeat one more time to see if water is clearer the second time.  My only problem last night is that my driveway is so steep that soapy water did not get to puddle over oily part of hull.  I will fill with soapy water on a flat area before parking on driveway to drain.  Thanks again.

@P6Expert put the dawn in and hook your boat up to your truck and pull it around the block and let that soapy water slosh around before you drain it.  That is what I did.  Probably not going to get the bilge 100% clean, but it can't hurt either.

Get the old school Dawn if you can.  I had some oil spillage in mine too last year from the previous owner.  Squirted a quarter bottle of that all over the place in the bilge and filled it up with water.  Was surprised how clean that got it.

About once a month, at the end of the day, I intentionally partially drain ballast into the bilge and add ~cup of dish detergent, then drive back to the launch.  Keeps the bilge clean with very little effort.

I had some oil spillage too most recently.  I tried getting a powerwasher in some areas and worked well but ideally what I would normally do is halfway through my day on the water I will maybe let a gallon or two in the boat by unscrewing the center hull plug.  once there is enough water to slosh around but not get near anything I would be concerned about, I dump dawn in the bilge and let it do the work for me.  I've also thought about buying some of that purple power in the bilge before we go out for the day.