Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Horn honk causes boat to speed up?

As the title suggests, have any of you guys experienced your boat speed up when your horn is depressed? We were out this weekend, and my buddy was driving while I was surfing. He honked the horn and held it down and the boat sped up enough to lose all push on the wave and I fell out.

Is this normal? Does my dealer need to take a look? Rocking a 1026 VTX with just over 100 hours on it.

7 minutes ago, Goodjhunting said:

As the title suggests, have any of you guys experienced your boat speed up when your horn is depressed? We were out this weekend, and my buddy was driving while I was surfing. He honked the horn and held it down and the boat sped up enough to lose all push on the wave and I fell out.

Is this normal? Does my dealer need to take a look? Rocking a 1026 VTX with just over 100 hours on it.

• I remember in my early flight training, looking out the window(s) during emergency engine off simulation. When you'd look left, your arm/hand would instinctively just slightly turn the airplane left. Same thing for the right. Took practice to break that habit. Not saying it's happening, but was his hand on the throttle during this time? Or were you on cruise control? 
  • Also, if the lake got shallower at the same time that would absolutely cause it as well. My lake depth varies a lot and while the speed can fluctuate a bit it's due to the lake bottom getting shallower and pushing the stern up as the wave literally disappears. 

(More likely the latter) 

My G23s did this same thing for some reason.

One thing I noted, was that my GPS speed reading would go down when I honked the horn. So basically, the ECU was seeing the speed reading drop, and throttling up the engine to compensate. No idea why it would do that, but I assumed the horn was causing an interference with the GPS puck for some reason.

26 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:
  • I remember in my early flight training, looking out the window(s) during emergency engine off simulation. When you'd look left, your arm/hand would instinctively just slightly turn the airplane left. Same thing for the right. Took practice to break that habit. Not saying it's happening, but was his hand on the throttle during this time? Or were you on cruise control? 
  • Also, if the lake got shallower at the same time that would absolutely cause it as well. My lake depth varies a lot and while the speed can fluctuate a bit it's due to the lake bottom getting shallower and pushing the stern up as the wave literally disappears. 

(More likely the latter) 

I have that problem when I sneeze while driving!

1 hour ago, TenTwentyOne said:

G23s did this same thing for some reason.

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Speak with your dealer. There is a fix.

Apparently I was wrong! :lol:

That's interesting. 

Has to do with the horn being so close to the GPS ant. and picking up electrical interference from the horn. There is a fix. They sent out a repair kit which was basically a filter/choke coil that was installed on the horns positive input wire. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had same issue. Malibu fix was to place a new gps puck on 5he opposite side and run a longer cable. This removes the horn interference to the perfect pass gps puck. Dealer fixed it but did not clean after drilling. Yuck. 

My boat got a horn check two weeks ago. My 1.7 year old grandson found it! Dammer I may need to add a switch to deactivate well the little captain is aboard.