Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LXI or Sunsetter LXI Question

Jefferstone

I called him and there are a few issues that I was not interested in dealing with so I passed.  I looked at this one yesterday and and taking it for a drive possibly sunday.

'01 Sunsetter

I agree 100% about the yellow! I gotta say in person it actually looks better than in the pics.  My thought was I would use it for awhile and then I would have the engine and the deck pad redone in straight red which leaves just a little on the sides and the side of the boat which I think I could deal with. Or just use it as it it really isn't that bad in person.

My wife and I are driving it tomorrow and my only concern is the Hammerhead engine, heard a lot of chatter about it burning oil insanely bad and when I asked him he said he never had a problem with it but he used it 3x per year so not enough probably to ever notice.  Other than than it has a few nicks and scrapes as any 18 yr old boat would have but in excellent condition.

The tongue on the trailer doesn't swing away so in order to fit in garage I have to take the swim platform off.  HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU TAKE IT OFF!? I was looking and it looks like you pull the pins and you slide it off the brackets but it appears that the brackets stay affixed to the boat so that really defeats the purpose b/c you won't gain anything b/c the brackets are still there sticking out. 

Am I missing something???

1 hour ago, Jefferstone said:

The tongue on the trailer doesn't swing away so in order to fit in garage I have to take the swim platform off.  HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU TAKE IT OFF!? I was looking and it looks like you pull the pins and you slide it off the brackets but it appears that the brackets stay affixed to the boat so that really defeats the purpose b/c you won't gain anything b/c the brackets are still there sticking out. 

Am I missing something???

Taking the platform off is a real PITA. If you are doing this every use is look for a hinge modification.

3 minutes ago, braindamage said:

Taking the platform off is a real PITA. If you are doing this every use is look for a hinge modification.

Worth asking Eric at OJProps.com if they still sell them.  Sure would be easier than  mucking with those pins!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Yup - there are only the pins left on the boat - they stick out a couple inches.  Less than the exhaust.

That's the way my other boat was once you took off the platform but with this one the L bracket is mounted directly to the hull and cannot be removed so they will still stick out almost as long as the platform itself, unless I am missing something!  Love the hinged option it looks as though they only have it for Mastercraft, Moomba, Nautique, not Malibu.

I think you can remove the brackets by taking out the floor of the rear locker. IIRC you have to first remove the front panel then bend the floor to remove. The nuts for  the bracket should then be access.

Not sure I want to do that every time I want to take it out and then put back in the garage, are all of the sunsetters like that?

2 hours ago, Jefferstone said:

Not sure I want to do that every time I want to take it out and then put back in the garage, are all of the sunsetters like that?

The LXi is a different beast with the overhanging transom but I though they still had a platform that removes by pulling two pins and lifting straight up.

The other option is to modify your trailer.  Fulton makes a bolt-on hinge system that would probably do the trick assuming your brake line is flexible.

Edited by UWSkier

Pull 2 pins and slide platform straight out on a SLXi. The brackets are mounted to the underside of the cantilevered trunk. 

Fulton makes a weld-on hinge system as well as the bot-on version UW references. Brake line plumbing will probably require modification. 

23 minutes ago, John I. said:

Pull 2 pins and slide platform straight out on a SLXi. The brackets are mounted to the underside of the cantilevered trunk. 

Fulton makes a weld-on hinge system as well as the bot-on version UW references. Brake line plumbing will probably require modification. 

@Jefferstone there's your answer.  Have a look at the transom of that boat again or have the seller send you a good profile photo of the bracket where it attaches to the hull.  Should be a cotter pin on each side.  When pulled, the platform and the entire "L bracket" should come straight off to the back.