Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LXI or Sunsetter LXI Question

Jefferstone

Hey all,

I am in the market for an 03-05 RLXI or an 01-03 SLXI and I am wondering what I should be looking for as far as concerns other than the obvious gelcoat, interior, etc.  Were there known issues with engines, leakes, etc. that I should be checking for?  I've owned a '99 Sportster and an '03 Response that had 0 issues but know nothing about the boats themselves so I don't want to walk into a major boat anchor if possible!

Also if anyone has one for sale in 1000 mile radius of WI I am probably interested.  I have been keeping my eye on here and ski it again to try and find a good deal but nothing so far.

Thanks

I owned an 06' RLXi and 04' SSLxi.  I liked the wakes better for slalom and barefoot on the SSLXi as well as bigger boat and larger rear hatch for storage.  They are rare but they are out there.  2005 is when the SSLxi changed hulls so you may want to add 99-2004 to your list as all these are on the SV23 diamond hull.

I sold our 2004 back in 2014 with 800+ hours on it and no real issues other than standard maintenance.  Key to older boats is ask for maintenance records.  I kept every receipt and work order and scanned all info to send to potential buyers.  

Thanks wedge,  I keep reading about the drive shaft seal being replaced on these boats and that it is extremely expensive.  Is this a common problem that I will have to factor in b/c it's not a matter of IF but WHEN it will need to be replaced?

Had a 2001 SSlxi with Titan Tower for 15 years.  Sold to my brother in 2016.  Boat was rock solid reliable.  There are parts that wear out and need replacing.  (Impeller, plugs, cap & rotor, etc...)  Other than routine maintenance there was not much else that ever went wrong.   Nothing specific to the model or year that was a major flaw that I can think of. 

Did get surprised once when service bulletin was missed and later corrected by the dealer.  Wiring across the 50 amp circuit breaker on the back of the engine on some builds was on the wrong poles.  I ran the battery down playing stereo too much which caused in rush current to trip the breaker which stopped the alternator from charge.   Fixed wiring and added 2nd battery with combiner.  Never an issue after that.   2001 was 1st year with Titan tower and Titan Bimini.  Dealer worked out the bugs but worked great after that.   Build quality in some ways was better on the 2001 than my 2016.   Gel coat was amazing.  

Short list of tems over 15 years I replaced:   1) Oil sending unit replaced  2) Perfect Pass paddle wheel replaced  3) Upgraded to Combo Malibu digital Perfect Pass gauge cluster when analog tach unit failed  4) Replaced side decals due to peeling problem on one  5) Trailer issues specific to Ryan trailer - Disc brakes swapped to UFP tandem axle at cost 8 years later.  6) Trailer Tires (due to age)  That's about it!  

Word on inboard drive shaft packing.   Each year all I did was adjust the "drip" at beginning of season.  Never an issue.  Not sure what you mean by expensive unless replacing with a PSS drip less  shaft seal.  Suggest you just buy a big crescent wrench and keep in the boat to adjust the seal if it gets to dripping too much.    

Not sure...I don't know much about boats but I have a friend who has a response and had to have the seal replaced (might be the transmission shaft seal) but he paid $1500 to have it fixed.  Other people I have talked to that also have responses have had to have it done as well (it might be a response problem) and they say at about the 15 yr mark they seam to go and you will need to have it fixed so I am just worried about that.

2 hours ago, Jefferstone said:

they say at about the 15 yr mark they seam to go and you will need to have it fixed

Well then my 99 is way overdue. ;)  I don't recall seeing a lot of posts about this "problem".  Maybe "they" don't really know?  Of course any motor over ten yrs old is gonna have issues with hoses and seals just due to degradation.

Both boats have HDS.  Though it seems like you never hear about HDS failures on Response LXis.

Both boats are stone cold reliable.  SSLXi might be slightly harder to fit in your garage, but if you're planning to use around Oshkosh, would be a better Winnebago boat.

What is the HDS failure I bet that's what they are referring to?  I agree, I have 3 kids and if I plan on taking anyone else in the boat with it fills up quick!  My 03 response lx was horrible around here with the waves, I had to wait until it was calm before I could ever take it out (which was 2 days out of the summer) and even then the waves from all of the other huge boats crushed me!  My eyes are peeled for SSLXi but if I find a RLXi cheap I wouldn't pass on it.  I found an 03 in MN (red - my color) for 23k which is pretty steep, albeit amazing condition!  The same boat in TX is 19.9K but a longer drive for me, which I don't have a prob with - bought my RLX in FL (drove down, hooked it up, turned right around and drove back all in one weekend)!

In green lake. Pricey.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001-malibu-sunsetter-lxi-103592409/?refSource=standard listing

not sure if this is new motor or if it still has blown jasper. Pretty cheap, though.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-malibu-sunsetter-lxi-103544064/?refSource=standard listing

@UWSkier might be willing to take a look.

I found a 04 RLXI for $17k with 850 hrs. on the monsoon 340.  It's only 6 hrs from me and I am really tempted to go for it.  I already contacted the guy and still waiting for more detailed pics b/c he only had 3 on the site.  I looked at that 01 and yeah 25K is a pinch outta my reach.  I only have around 20K to play with all in so I have to find a good deal.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2289903721337482/

I did see this one and it def. looks intriguing.  New York just a pinch too far - I did get my last boat in FL but that was just too far, I want to limit it to around 10 hrs. max so I can do the trip in a day or so.  I worry about the hammerhead b/c of the oil issues they have.

I think I'm going to hold out for a SSLXI b/c after looking at pics of the the RLXI with 5 people in it you can't move, I have a family of 5, which means no taking friends, I know it says it seats 8 but that's a stretch.  Let's be honest you are not sitting in the front unless you want a free shower!

51 minutes ago, Jefferstone said:

I think I'm going to hold out for a SSLXI b/c after looking at pics of the the RLXI with 5 people in it you can't move, I have a family of 5, which means no taking friends, I know it says it seats 8 but that's a stretch.  Let's be honest you are not sitting in the front unless you want a free shower!

If you got pounded to death in a Response LX, don't expect the SSLXi to be a heck of a lot better.  It's a heavier boat with more freeboard, yes, but the hull is darn near the same.  Even the V-drive configuration of that hull, which is what my dad has, is no fun in chop.  Winnebago, Winneconne, Poygan will all beat you up in either boat.

That said, from what you're saying here, the RLXi is definitely NOT the boat you want for your use case.

You know... the '05 SSLXi is often dogged because it's not the slalom boat of its predecessor, but I bet it'd work really well for you if you can find one.  It's a bit deeper V and a bit more freeboard than the first gen SSLXi.

Edited by UWSkier

we love our 03 SSLXI.  I would look for the Monsoon or LS1 engine instead of the base carbed engine.   I think ours does really well in choppy water - better than most of my friends boats.    I would have a compression test done and ask for any service records.    Always do a lake test.    

one thing to note if the boat has perfect pass and a single line gauge it's just a matter of time before you will need to upgrade that gauge  - pretty common issue.

You can buy a whole new transmission for $1500?!?  That makes no senses.  I have a leaking input shaft seal on my RLX.   When I get around to fixing it, I imagine it will be one Saturday afternoon of work.  I ordered both the seals and all the O-rings for about $60.   So basically your buddy spend $1440 on labor alone.   Seems about par for the course if he took it to a dealer.  

23 minutes ago, spinxt said:

You can buy a whole new transmission for $1500?!?

You  got that right!  I would have replaced the whole thing than pay 1400 for labour.  The stealership strikes again!

On 6/13/2019 at 8:15 PM, Jefferstone said:

I found a 04 RLXI for $17k with 850 hrs. on the monsoon 340.  It's only 6 hrs from me and I am really tempted to go for it.  I already contacted the guy and still waiting for more detailed pics b/c he only had 3 on the site.  I looked at that 01 and yeah 25K is a pinch outta my reach.  I only have around 20K to play with all in so I have to find a good deal.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2289903721337482/

Did you get more pictures of this one?  $17K sounds like a great deal, but can't tell much from the three exterior shots they show.