Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Problem on new VLX

auto

It was bound to happen, an issue has surfaced. The first few times out on the boat, I noticed the carpet was wet in the walkway, I chalked it up to wet equipment. Yesterday with no wet equipment to be found, I noticed it coincided with the front ballast being filled.

Yank all the cushions, remove the front board and hit the pump, water spewing everywhere. Both the drain and fill hoses had split at the pump. A little manipulation, retighten and tape temporarily fixed the problem. It looks as though the hoses are a little small for the pump. When it gets the 50 hour service I will see what they say.

New boats are hand made. Minor issues are common at first, until the kinks are out. If that's the only think you have happen, you're extremely lucky.

I've got a small list of things like this to have the dealer fix on my first service. It's been that way on every boat I've owned.

Once these minor kinks are out, usually you're home free...

It was bound to happen, an issue has surfaced.  The first few times out on the boat, I noticed the carpet was wet in the walkway, I chalked it up to wet equipment.  Yesterday with no wet equipment to be found, I noticed it coincided with the front ballast being filled. 

Yank all the cushions, remove the front board and hit the pump, water spewing everywhere.  Both the drain and fill hoses had split at the pump.  A little manipulation, retighten and tape temporarily fixed the problem.  It looks as though the hoses are a little small for the pump.  When it gets the 50 hour service I will see what they say.

Hey, I don't want to insult you, but if the boat is new, you need to have a service before the 50 hour one.

Why? If you can do the 10 hour oil change, there should be no reason to take the boat info service before 50 hours. On our promo boats we did the 10 hr. change and then only took it in after that if we had issues that needed taken care of by the dealer.

If you are checking transmission fluid, and the levels of other fluids, as well as keeping up with everything else, there is no need for the dealer. Of course, that's just my opinion, but if you like shelling out big bucks to your dealer, go for it.

Why?  If you can do the 10 hour oil change, there should be no reason to take the boat info service before 50 hours.  On our promo boats we did the 10 hr. change and then only took it in after that if we had issues that needed taken care of by the dealer. 

If you are checking transmission fluid, and the levels of other fluids, as well as keeping up with everything else, there is no need for the dealer.  Of course, that's just my opinion, but if you like shelling out big bucks to your dealer, go for it.

The dealer is supposed to do a lot of things that we can't do as lay people liek check the alignment, etc. I only mentioned it that a lot of people liek to take their brand new boat to a dealer to have the first service done, even though you're right in that it's pretty much a glorified oil change (filters and fluids are a snap too).

On our promo boats we did the 10 hr. change and then only took it in after that if we had issues that needed taken care of by the dealer.

Also at the 10 hour service should be tranny fluid change, fuel filter change, check timing and shaft alignment. FWIW