Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wired Remote connection issue with receiver

jas1068

Hello guys,

I have a 2002 Response LX and my question today is about the stereo. My boat has Infinity speakers in it that all work. It has a Dual brand head unit that seems to work okay. What I cannot figure out is the wired remote. This boat came with a JVC wired remote that clearly was made for a different stereo. I was wondering if there is any advice on wiring the wired remote so I won't have to raise the hinged door to control the stereo. I realize that there are two different brands of electronics here and that they may not be compatible. Just wondering as well if there are recommendations on an affordable system that I can utilize the stock head unit location, and the cutout for the wired remote? The wired remote currently is about 2 and 1/8th inches. Same size as the depth gauge. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks!

It is highly unlikely that the JVC remote will control the Dual stereo.  Dual stereos may have wired controller input; you have to look and see if yours is so equipped.  And you will have to buy a Dual remote like the http://www.dualav.com/marineaudio/mwr17.php (which of course is a non-standard size!)  

Another option is to find a wireless remote control for your stereo (assuming it will work with one) and then get https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5258_PAC-IR-X.html to relay the IR control to under the armrest.  That location is really dumb...

What I just did was yank the original Kenwood that was installed and put in a Bluetooth stereo since we never used CDs and  there is almost no radio reception worth listening to on the water.  Cost me $15 bucks with the connectors.  :)

Thanks for the reply!

I did some research and found that my current head unit is for a car, and is not a marine grade stereo. With that in mind, I was thinking about replacing the stereo with a marine unit and buying a wired remote that is compatible. Does anyone have recommendations on a replacement unit? I'm just looking for a middle of the road type of unit that is compatible with a wired remote. 

A couple of noteworthy details regarding that unit. Its narrower and taller then a standard DIN unit. Ats also going to stick out 1.25". This may contact the door, causing the main knob to be pushed. Only a single RCA pair OUT. 

I just picked the cheapest Fusion - I'm sure they have others in standard DIN sizes.  BTW, IIRC my el cheapo BT receiver sticks out  about 1.24 " and no door clearance issue.  YMMV.  The nice thing about Fusion is that it uses ANT which does not need LOS like IR.