Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Really hard starts

2007 Vlx with a monsoon and 805 trouble free hours. I service it every 80 hrs. This year I mixed up 2 wires but somehow i limped it to our dock and figured out my mistake. Ran fine after. A few trips later I’m having a hell of a time getting it to start. Fuel pump is new last year and I hear it working. I’ll check pressure when I get it home. I have to turn it over several times before it starts. Only inactive code is voltage. Active codes say 1 but it just says reading code. Any ideas? There is no lanyard, which I feel is odd. I’ll check for spark when I get it home. Are there any sensors that would cause this? Once it starts I can shut it down and it will fire right back up. If I let it sit for 10 min it does not start up. It takes several attempts some really long ones. Turns over fine but it won’t fire. Any ideas?

Sounds like a fuel pressure issue to me. Like your fuel rails loosing pressure when sitting.

Will the engine start better when you run your fuel pump through a few prime circles prior to cranking it over?

No. I’ve tried key up the fuel pump thinking the same thing. However every time I key up the fuel pump runs. I would think after 1-2 key on for fuel pump it would stop running. Every time I turn the key on it runs for 2 seconds/primes. 

19 hours ago, badluck said:

2007 Vlx with a monsoon and 805 trouble free hours. I service it every 80 hrs. This year I mixed up 2 wires but somehow i limped it to our dock and figured out my mistake. Ran fine after. A few trips later I’m having a hell of a time getting it to start. Fuel pump is new last year and I hear it working. I’ll check pressure when I get it home. I have to turn it over several times before it starts. Only inactive code is voltage. Active codes say 1 but it just says reading code. Any ideas? There is no lanyard, which I feel is odd. I’ll check for spark when I get it home. Are there any sensors that would cause this? Once it starts I can shut it down and it will fire right back up. If I let it sit for 10 min it does not start up. It takes several attempts some really long ones. Turns over fine but it won’t fire. Any ideas?

A bad or stuck fuel injector could cause the fuel pressure to drop while the engine is off.  If you haven't had the fuel injectors rebuilt, you are probably due.  I had a similar problem before rebuilding my injectors, would not start without great difficulty after sitting for awhile.