Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lug nut issue

macdaddy

Hey crew... Need advise.  I have aluminum rims and my lug nuts keep working lose.  Never really had an issue before, but 2 years ago I had a wheel come off the trailer while going over Jelico.  Can you put a type of lock tight on the threads??  Anybody else have an issue like this.  I guess I can check the, every two hours or so....It is happening on both side of the trailer.  Different lug nuts??

Thread locker on lug nuts is a patently bad idea.  Get thee a torque wrench - but I would make sure you have the right lug nuts first - the seat is often the issue.

I bought the lug nuts at a trailer shop for the rims.  I never had a torque wrench for lug nuts. Just always went by feel.  Both of the axels were replaced by UPF under warranty. A local trailer shop painted  and installed them.  This is my third Malibu and I have owned this for years.  The last 2 years, i have had bearing problems, axel problems and now lug nut problems.  What should each lug nut be torque at?  Thanks for the input.

mac

59 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I bought the lug nuts at a trailer shop for the rims.  I never had a torque wrench for lug nuts. Just always went by feel.  Both of the axels were replaced by UPF under warranty. A local trailer shop painted  and installed them.  This is my third Malibu and I have owned this for years.  The last 2 years, i have had bearing problems, axel problems and now lug nut problems.  What should each lug nut be torque at?  Thanks for the input.

mac

Should be torqued to 80 ft-lbs, no lube at all.

I had aluminum wheels on one trailer and the lugs loosened all the time. I tried different torque settings from 8 to 100 and they would still loosen after a couple of tows. It was just something I dealt with, couldn't find a solution.

On 6/9/2019 at 3:21 PM, macdaddy said:

Hey crew... Need advise.  I have aluminum rims and my lug nuts keep working lose.  Never really had an issue before, but 2 years ago I had a wheel come off the trailer while going over Jelico.  Can you put a type of lock tight on the threads??  Anybody else have an issue like this.  I guess I can check the, every two hours or so....It is happening on both side of the trailer.  Different lug nuts??

Different lug nuts might be a good idea.  Link below shows 9 different types of lug nuts.  Could be a miss match.  Check the wheel manufacturer site to valid the correct lug nuts were supplied.   If it does not seat properly they can come loose. 

Also most alloy wheel installs recommend to check torque after ~50 miles as they can loosen up after initial torque setting.  

1. Conical Lug Nuts  2. Spherical Lug Nuts  3. Mag Seat Lug Nuts 4. Flat Seat Lug Nuts 5. Extended Thread Lug Nuts  6. Tuner Style Lug Nuts  7. Small Diameter Spline Drive Lug Nuts  8. Lug Bolts  9. Left-Hand Threaded Lug Nuts (sure it is not this one)

https://www.homestratosphere.com/types-of-lug-nuts/

Edited by ORMailbuboater

And just for kicks, check the hubs to make sure that you aren't pulling the studs through the casting or drawing the threads down the studs or nuts due to poor hardening.  Crazier things have happened.

Also check the pattern the lugs are leaving on the wheel.  You should be able to tell if the nuts match the wheels with a close inspection.  When you are satisfied that everything is correct, degrease the studs and nut threads before you try again.