Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
rugger

I'm about done with Lencos -- do the new actuators have issues?

Recommended Posts

rugger

Got a frozen power wedge actuator (Lenco) again.   I replaced both of them last summer.   Yes it's nice that Lenco covers them under warranty and spits them out like candy, but it's silly.  No I don't think something is wrong with my setup, which for the wedge is bone stock.  I've also replaced one for surf gates a few years ago.

Do the newer (2015? 2016+? not sure) Parker Hydraulic Actuators last?   Any issues with those?   Yes, they are costly I know.  Just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
csleaver

I don't think there is any kind of submerged power actuator that is completely trouble free.  At least Malibu and Axis boats 2016 and newer come with a 5 year warranty on them.  2017 and newer boats keep many of the components and wiring away from the transom so they don't constantly get wet, unlike earlier models, and thus improves reliability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

This isn’t real data obviously but judging by the lack of posts on here for the newer actuators, I don’t recall many, if any being replaced. I suspect going to one actuator has helped as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparky450
Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2019 at 7:00 AM, rugger said:

Got a frozen power wedge actuator (Lenco) again.   I replaced both of them last summer.   Yes it's nice that Lenco covers them under warranty and spits them out like candy, but it's silly.  No I don't think something is wrong with my setup, which for the wedge is bone stock.  I've also replaced one for surf gates a few years ago.

Do the newer (2015? 2016+? not sure) Parker Hydraulic Actuators last?   Any issues with those?   Yes, they are costly I know.  Just curious.

Have you updated the controller and actuators to the newer ones 5 lobe/3 lobe or whatever. 

Edited by Sparky450

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rugger
Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2019 at 11:20 PM, Sparky450 said:

Have you updated the controller and actuators to the newer ones 5 lobe/3 lobe or whatever. 

Yes, these were the 5 lobe, with the appropriate controller.   I think it's just poor durability, but the concept/simplicity of Lencos is good.    I agree, one more powerful actuator would be better.

 

Edited by rugger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kojak

I had an actuator go out on the last lake trip. It was a three lobe and had been replaced in 2013 before I bought the boat. That set lasted six years and over 300 hours.

I replaced both this past weekend with the new five lobe actuators. Hopefully they last at least as long or longer than the last ones.

Here's a pic of the actuators after I removed them.

 

20190608_130627.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rugger

Well Kojak that's good news and bad news.

So when I replaced my bad one, I realized it actually cracked the wedge arm.   Cracked it above the hinge point, below the bracket.   Essentially the good actuator fought the frozen one and twisted the top.   Easy grind and tig weld to fix, but still a pain in the a$$.   And both actuators were replaced last summer.   Alignment was good.  Otherwise this wedge had worked flawlessly the 3-4 years I've had it.

Maybe Malibu made a good choice changing to a single, different style actuator.   Yes, Lenco will cover its actuators under warranty but this sucks.

693119466_crackedwedge.jpg.3e61babc5d4fc8dff053ec72ab389b1a.jpg

 

79855037_crackedwedge2.jpg.a98221eca75c5

102640234_crackedwedge3.jpg.5bfc459bba8063404d5a4fc1ffb0eedc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malibuwrench

Honestly the newer lencos are better. You have to make sure your wedge foil is adjusted properly. Also the hydraulic ones are better but still have issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malibuwrench
On 6/16/2019 at 10:22 PM, rugger said:

Well Kojak that's good news and bad news.

So when I replaced my bad one, I realized it actually cracked the wedge arm.   Cracked it above the hinge point, below the bracket.   Essentially the good actuator fought the frozen one and twisted the top.   Easy grind and tig weld to fix, but still a pain in the a$$.   And both actuators were replaced last summer.   Alignment was good.  Otherwise this wedge had worked flawlessly the 3-4 years I've had it.

Maybe Malibu made a good choice changing to a single, different style actuator.   Yes, Lenco will cover its actuators under warranty but this sucks.

693119466_crackedwedge.jpg.3e61babc5d4fc8dff053ec72ab389b1a.jpg

 

79855037_crackedwedge2.jpg.a98221eca75c5

102640234_crackedwedge3.jpg.5bfc459bba8063404d5a4fc1ffb0eedc.jpg

I have seen this before. No rime or reason to why it happens. Just unlucky. The other thing to check when repairing actuators is making sure they run at the same speed. Only time I ever replaced just one actuator is when the wiring was chewed by muskrats. Otherwise it got two new actuators no mater what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rugger
Posted (edited)

Thanks.  The pair was new and wedge adjusted last summer which is why this time I just replaced the bad one. Maybe just unlucky this time. I adjusted that plate and it goes up and down smoothly, without any change in pitch or stress.   Let’s see how long it lasts- even though it was last time too.  I know for every bad story of short failures there are good ones too.   

But ive changed a few now, plus one on a surf gate system.  No adjustments there.  

 Someone on wakegarage said Lenco marine  was sold to someone else, but I don’t know what that’ll mean for future.   

 I’m starting to think boats are just expensive.  

Edited by rugger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malibuwrench
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, rugger said:

Thanks.  The pair was new and wedge adjusted last summer which is why this time I just replaced the bad one. Maybe just unlucky this time. I adjusted that plate and it goes up and down smoothly, without any change in pitch or stress.   Let’s see how long it lasts- even though it was last time too.  I know for every bad story of short failures there are good ones too.   

But ive changed a few now, plus one on a surf gate system.  No adjustments there.  

 Someone on wakegarage said Lenco marine  was sold to someone else, but I don’t know what that’ll mean for future.   

 I’m starting to think boats are just expensive.  

Um boats expensive...............   Break Out Another Thousand.

On a serious note. Think of what these boats cost new. Parts and service don’t depreciate as the boat ages. 

Edited by Malibuwrench

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
saxton15

First ride out yesterday, and my port side actuator went on me.  Just replaced it two years ago.  I can't figure out why these things keep shorting out.  Is it time left in the water?  Is it bad design?  Big cruisers have lencos on their trim tabs and spend considerable amounts of time in the water, so it can't be that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
csleaver

Having two electric actuators that can potentially run at slightly different speeds may cause them to "fight" against each other and cause premature failure.  That is why it is recommended to replace both wedge actuators at the same and to adjust or align the wedge bracket after they are installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...