Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Flip Down Step

wbama387

So both the wife and I really want the new platform step. It will be great for the new little one and we won’t have to grab the dog out of the water anymore. So I talked to my dealer about purchasing a brand new platform but Malibu will not sell them. I am going to work on drawing one up in 3D that will mount underneath my current platform and will have a machine shop build it for me. When deployed it will look just like the Malibu version. 

12 hours ago, wbama387 said:

So both the wife and I really want the new platform step. It will be great for the new little one and we won’t have to grab the dog out of the water anymore. So I talked to my dealer about purchasing a brand new platform but Malibu will not sell them. I am going to work on drawing one up in 3D that will mount underneath my current platform and will have a machine shop build it for me. When deployed it will look just like the Malibu version. 

But when it’s stowed it swings up and sits flush on top. How are you going to do that unless you modify the fiberglass?

11 hours ago, onewake09 said:

But when it’s stowed it swings up and sits flush on top. How are you going to do that unless you modify the fiberglass?

It will fold up underneath like the current ladders do. 

Are you talking about a platform mounted ladder or the new platform flip down step? Two different things. The new platform step folds down from the top. The platform is molded to accept it. It doesnt fold underneath.

Definitely following this one. If it's successful, you should cut a deal with that machine shop to sell them and cut you in with a royalty or something. You may want to discuss it with Mr Wonderful to ensure you get the best deal, but you could make some gas money for sure. 

I have it mostly finished. Still need to make the track slot and add hardware, but this will give you an idea of how it will look finished. First pic is of it stowed under the platform and second is deployed. The top brackets will mount to the bottom of the swim platform.

48073259382_4afd514d61_b.jpg

48073154176_4a810d46d6_b.jpg

Edited by wbama387
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, braindamage said:

How does it stay up?

The slot in the top brackets at the end. You can see in the first picture where it is locked in.

16 hours ago, 18vlxguy said:

With that mounted under the platform won’t that change your wave 

No it will not touch the water when folded. It will be about the same form factor as the current latter that is mounted on mine from the factory. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I have completed the drawing and just need to find somewhere that can cut the plates with a laser. I am hoping I can get it done at work but we will see.

I have a feeling that that thing will deploy on your holeshot with the groove purely vertical.  The pin should be recessed in such a way that the step needs to slide forward to extract the pin from the retaining groove.

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I have a feeling that that thing will deploy on your holeshot with the groove purely vertical.  The pin should be recessed in such a way that the step needs to slide forward to extract the pin from the retaining groove.

It moves forward and has a spring that pushes it to keep it in place.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2019 at 11:00 AM, wbama387 said:

I have it mostly finished.

Selling these yet??? ;)

Edited by Ryan1776
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Raleigh said:

Bump. Any progress? Would it affect the surf wave? Could it be added and taken off depending on whose riding? Thanks!

Likely not and even if, it would be a PITA to be unbolting things on the water.

Curious to see if it is finished and how it works... Also, what year/boat are you putting it on? I have a feeling that I am going to be keeping our '07 VLX for few more years... 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

yeah really. been looking all over the place for something the dog can use as well, and your right on the money. hows it going, or does somebody else have an aftermarket colbalt swim step/modification idea.