Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Kyson07

New MLX or ‘15 MXZ22

Recommended Posts

Kyson07

Hey everyone,

Time to replace and upgrade from  a 6 year old A22 I bought new and just sold. Our crew is about half the size now that the kids are in college, so while I love the idea of the MXZ it’s not necessary for 4-5 of us regularly now. 

So the question is - for about the same money, I can buy a well equipped new MLX or a 4 year old MXZ22. I’ve test driven the MLX and while it’s a tad smaller than the A22 was, it’s so improved in every way over the non-surf gate ‘13, I loved it immediately. 

I have not driven the previous MXZ, but it’s my favorite boat aesthetically of any. I’m told they are not great surf platforms tho, and that’s 90% of what we do. The remaining 10% is just lounging. 

Any advice from those that have experienced both. I’m 99.5% on pulling the trigger on an MLX, but want to crosscheck the logic. 

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Suggy

@Kyson07 I think you already have your mind made up and the right one. If crew size is smaller, I'd go MLX all day. Warranty and a hull molded/designed around surf gate. The pre-2017 22MXZ's didn't have the best surf wave and I'm willing to bet the MLX has a much better one, with stock settings at least. You're getting warranty too and a lot of updates as well. I say it's a no brainer in your case with surf being the priority and size not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
16 hours ago, Suggy said:

@Kyson07 I think you already have your mind made up and the right one. If crew size is smaller, I'd go MLX all day. Warranty and a hull molded/designed around surf gate. The pre-2017 22MXZ's didn't have the best surf wave and I'm willing to bet the MLX has a much better one, with stock settings at least. You're getting warranty too and a lot of updates as well. I say it's a no brainer in your case with surf being the priority and size not.

Took the words right out of my fingers and keyboard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tex599

Second summer with our MLX, great boat and surf wave.  It’s been flawless and we are very impressed with the boat. We regularly run with 4-6 people. My only complaint was how loud the Indmar 6.2 is at surf speed, had the dealer put the surf pipe on and it’s good now. The 19s have a different engine and come with the pipe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bchambers

I would agree with tex599.  It is also our second summer for our 2018 MLX.  Great surf wave but not out of the box.  Here is  how we got there.  Also, i have been able to compare my wave to my buddies wave of owns a 22 vlx.  Mush say his wave is superior to mine.  But here is what we do.  All hard tanks full.  550# full, sort of (this is wear it gets tricky.  Something different about the hull of the mlx that it has harder time keeping  speed engaged with heavier ballast, my buddies 22 vlx .. no problem.  Same engine.  And I have the high altitude surf prop.  Anyways , full P&P on surf side in rear on about 1/2 full on non surf side to clean it up and maintain speed.  Also have to put 800# of ballast up front to keep nose down to get speed control to kick in.  This with about 600- 700# of people in the boat including the driver.  Overall, I really like to the boat.  But does not quite the wave of the 22 vlx for 23 lsv.  But for the price , it is a good wave and I have some buddies on the plus 250# weight wise who can go ropeless, not a huge for them , but still fun. Never takes water over the bow!  By buddies 22 vlx cannot say that. hope this helps and have fun.!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...