Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Mazeing5

Stereo Voltage Drops

Recommended Posts

Mazeing5

I posted this in the maintenance section and it didn't get any responses:

"I have a 2009 Wakesetter LSV. I have had a constant voltage issue that the Maliview system sees compared to what the other battery operated components in the boat see. Maliview shows .8 to 1 Volt lower than any other place I have checked in the boat. I have checked the pins going right in the viper unit and they show the same voltage on the batteries but Maliview still shows .8  to 1 volt lower. 

When the stereo is pulling the most current it will drop the voltage and I get the "Low Voltage Alarm". I think I would be fine if the boat was seeing the 13.8 to 14.3 volts my stereo and other components see. 

Is there someplace else I could check voltage to see what is being sent to the computer? "

 

I figured I would post it here because the stereo is causing the voltage drops and code issues every time the bass hits hard. I have a 5500-watt stereo system with two new group 29's on a perko switch that I charge with an onboard charger nightly. I wondered if I should get a third battery and run the stereo to two of the batteries in isolated and in parallel to keep the music spikes away from the main boat components. 

 

Suggestions? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23LSVOwner
34 minutes ago, Mazeing5 said:

I posted this in the maintenance section and it didn't get any responses:

"I have a 2009 Wakesetter LSV. I have had a constant voltage issue that the Maliview system sees compared to what the other battery operated components in the boat see. Maliview shows .8 to 1 Volt lower than any other place I have checked in the boat. I have checked the pins going right in the viper unit and they show the same voltage on the batteries but Maliview still shows .8  to 1 volt lower. 

When the stereo is pulling the most current it will drop the voltage and I get the "Low Voltage Alarm". I think I would be fine if the boat was seeing the 13.8 to 14.3 volts my stereo and other components see. 

Is there someplace else I could check voltage to see what is being sent to the computer? "

 

I figured I would post it here because the stereo is causing the voltage drops and code issues every time the bass hits hard. I have a 5500-watt stereo system with two new group 29's on a perko switch that I charge with an onboard charger nightly. I wondered if I should get a third battery and run the stereo to two of the batteries in isolated and in parallel to keep the music spikes away from the main boat components. 

 

Suggestions? 

 

 

With that kind of power I would probably get another 2 batteries as well as an upgraded alternator. With more batteries you need better charging to top them up.

That's approximately 460 amps of current draw at full tilt with 12 volts, 382 amps if you were even able to maintain 14.4.

Lower voltage would be even higher current draw until the point you hit low voltage protection in the amps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazeing5

I have been looking at the upgraded alternator route but haven't been able to find what I need in the forums. I have a 11SI/8600002 which is only 95 amps. Is there one you could suggest? Also after the upgrade should I run new 0 or 4 gauge wire back to the battery or the starter? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23LSVOwner
Posted (edited)

Personally I'd run at least 1/0 for both power and ground. Leave the factory ones there as well, it will not hurt.

Do a search for the "big 3 upgrade" on the auto stereo side of things. It'll help you out a lot.

As far as the alternator reach out to Calvin at Stateamind.

 

https://stateamind.com/contact-us/

 

Explain what you have stereo wise and I bet he can get you some solid alternator advice.

 

Edited by 23LSVOwner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLA
1 hour ago, Mazeing5 said:

I have checked the pins going right in the viper unit

 

1 hour ago, Mazeing5 said:

Is there someplace else I could check voltage to see what is being sent to the computer?

You got as close as you can. If the B+ and B- supply to the unit is higher then the final display, the issue is within the unit itself. 

2 hours ago, Mazeing5 said:

I think I would be fine if the boat was seeing the 13.8 to 14.3 volts my stereo and other components see.

Is this what you measuring at the amps with the engine running? Is the low voltage alarm an issue when the engine is running? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazeing5

My MC-1 voltage Output shows 13.8 to 14.3. I also see this at the batteries. The low voltage alarm comes when running around 21 miles an hour and there is a lot of bass in the music. This causes the voltage to drop below 12Volts.  I don't use my alternator for charging but wonder if it would create a stable voltage while the music is going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLA
13 minutes ago, Mazeing5 said:

The low voltage alarm comes when running around 21 miles an hour and there is a lot of bass in the music. This causes the voltage to drop below 12Volts.

Not the actual voltage, right, just the maliview display voltage? 

15 minutes ago, Mazeing5 said:

 I don't use my alternator for charging but wonder if it would create a stable voltage while the music is going

Elaborate on this if you please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazeing5

That is correct the actual voltage hardly ever drops below 12 V while running but the Malivue goes to 11. 2 or so. 

 

I use a 20 amp Pro mariner charger after each day on the lake.   That is why I was thinking about getting another battery and keeping the stereo off the perko switch and alternator connections and that seems like it would solve the issue. Whatever I have to do to get a more consistent power delivery I am willing to do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLA

Taking away all alternator contribution would add to the issue. Even though, in theory, a stereo's draw may be more then the alternator's rating, at least with some input from the alternator, you are replenishing some to the battery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23LSVOwner

With that much amplifier you are sucking the batteries down really bad, especially with no alternator to try to replenish them.

 

More batteries, bigger alternator and supply wiring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazeing5

This happens if I turn it up with fully charged batteries.  The batteries never get drained. Does a larger alternator help stop voltage dips? Would more batteries do that or both? What I have read about the big 3 on car forums seems like it is for recharging purposes, not voltage drops. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLA
4 minutes ago, Mazeing5 said:

Does a larger alternator help stop voltage dips?

You have yet to show a voltage issue outside of the maliview. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mazeing5

It still drops from 14.4 to 12 volts when the bass hits. Is there a way to reduce that drop? If I could even out that voltage drop the Malivue wouldn't dip to 11 volts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MFknK
7 hours ago, Mazeing5 said:

It still drops from 14.4 to 12 volts when the bass hits. Is there a way to reduce that drop? If I could even out that voltage drop the Malivue wouldn't dip to 11 volts. 

What amps are you running?

I am pulling just over 4000w rms regularly and have never seen any type of voltage issue running on two batteries.

 

If you really are pulling enough to drop voltage, more batteries, bigger alternators and possibly some big capacitors may be the ticket.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLA

So after a direct conversation, we got it cleared up that mazeing5 is indeed seeing a voltage drop on MC-1 on some bass heavy songs. We talked about boosting the battery AH as well as ways to maintain bass output, while reducing the load on the amp, which in turn, lowers the amp's current dray. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...