Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 Response LX Tracking Fin Hardware

Front tracking fin broke off when my son ran boat on trailer with water in boat. My question is: Did Malibu install nut plates in hull within fiberglass for the tracking fin bolts to screw into or does the bolt screw into the fiberglass? Other posts not clear on my 1998 Repsonse LX. Also, specific hardware p/n's  or where to source would be helpful. 

P.S. i'd prefer not to remove middle tracking fin to see how it's mounted. I sealed holes on front tracking fin so I can continue to use boat. Thanks!

No through bolts on the Response fins.  If you can see the screw heads on the fin mounting plate, those are just lag screws with some marine adhesive holding your fin on.  If yours ripped out, I'd look to fill the holes in with some bondo or something before running the lag screws back into stripped holes.

Thank you for the helpful responses! Holes are smaller than a penny so I'll fill in & install hardware as noted. This saves me a bunch of time. Cannot find good site for older Malibi model parts on web. Love the boat so hope to keep this one running for a long time.

Parts for the oldies at....  malibumarine.com , greatlakesskipper.com , marinehardware.com   And yeah, these  things can last a long time if you take care of them.  The newer ones have some much technology on them that I am not so sure.

Thank you for the helpful responses! Holes are smaller than a penny so I'll fill in & install hardware as noted. This saves me a bunch of time. Cannot find good site for older Malibi model parts on web. Love the boat so hope to keep this one running for a long time.