Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

19' 23lsv Prop Upgrade?

Hey All, I recently took my new boat up to its summer home which is at about 5000' feet.  Fill all ballast hard tanks, and Wake Makers bags 2 adults, 2 kids in the boat.  I cannot drop the wedge beyond the second or third setting (moving from ramp to vert) without losing ability to get up to speed.  It seems to be able to manage about 9.5 at most.  Couple more pieces of info: 450 engine, high altitude 15x1425 2249 prop and just about a full tank of gas.  At about 2500 feet, no issue.  She is working hard, but gets to surf speed with any wedge setting.  

I would like to be able to shape the wave more vertical.  Is there another prop option that might help here?  Another option is to drain water from the bags, but that also starts to negatively effect the surf wave.

I would be happy to sacrifice top end speed if that would allow me to get that wave more dialed in.  My old boat was an 05' Super Air Nautique so all these gates, wedges, and huge amounts of available ballast are new to me and figuring it all out has been an experiment to say the least.

Thanks,

In case anyone else discovers a similar issue, a prop change is required to fix it. Will be changing out what I have now for this one: ACME 2419 4 Blade 15" x 12" Propeller

Will lose about 5 mph on top speed, but we almost never run at top speed anyway.

I'd try dumping some weight from the rears before changing props since I think your engine and prop combo should do fine on that lake if the boat is balanced right. Try running with the rears at 75%, and see how it does. You should get more range out of the wedge then.

I ran my 2018 with 75% in the rears all last year to keep everything in balance, unless I was parking big folks upfront. Otherwise it ran too heavy in the transom with the wedge, and the submerged surfgate would let too much water spill over and wash out the wave.

It worked ok at a 5,000 elevation lake with the 410 and 2249 prop too, although RPMs were more than I liked. No issues getting to speed though.

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2019 at 8:05 AM, Mattyb said:

In case anyone else discovers a similar issue, a prop change is required to fix it. Will be changing out what I have now for this one: ACME 2419 4 Blade 15" x 12" Propeller

Will lose about 5 mph on top speed, but we almost never run at top speed anyway.

How did this prop work for you? I’m noticing the same and think it might be time for some extra bow weight too...also, is there any settings you need to change or gearing once u put the new prop on? Thanks for sharing!

18 minutes ago, SWALKER said:

How did this prop work for you? I’m noticing the same and think it might be time for some extra bow weight too...also, is there any settings you need to change or gearing once u put the new prop on? Thanks for sharing!

You’re going to need bow weight if you run more than ~400 lbs in PNP. It makes a world of difference, regardless of prop. Then you can play with prop changes to lower RPMs further.

There’s no setting to change otherwise since these boats aren’t geared.