Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shattered Window - Help Needed on 2010 Response LXI

rbell14

I have a 2010 Malibu Response LXI. The side passenger window shattered for no apparent reason. Called 3 dealers and all have said Malibu no longer makes the windshields for replacement. They gave them the name of the original manufacture but they no longer make it. 

Seems odd, this boat is only 9 years old, that I can't locate a replace that matches. Frame looks good, just need glass to match the boat with tinting on the edges etc... 

Any help/advise on this would be greatly appreciated. 

14 minutes ago, rbell14 said:

I have a 2010 Malibu Response LXI. The side passenger window shattered for no apparent reason. Called 3 dealers and all have said Malibu no longer makes the windshields for replacement. They gave them the name of the original manufacture but they no longer make it. 

Seems odd, this boat is only 9 years old, that I can't locate a replace that matches. Frame looks good, just need glass to match the boat with tinting on the edges etc... 

Any help/advise on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Calling more dealers and checking in wrecking yards is your best bet. I would also be looking on craigslist and auction sites in your applicable years for an insurance write off with intact glass. The only other option I could think of would be having some acrylic bent to fit but that would be suboptimal.

I would question the dealers on what years fit just so you know where to look. Other similar models windshields may be an option. it might be worth a call to these folks too: https://www.malibumarine.com/platforms-wedges-windows-lights

Edit: i think eagleboy and I were typing at the same time.

Edited by 95echelon

Excellent suggestions guys, thanks. It will be an insurance claim so I don't care about the cost. Just want a good finished product that looked like original. 

4 hours ago, rbell14 said:

Excellent suggestions guys, thanks. It will be an insurance claim so I don't care about the cost. Just want a good finished product that looked like original. 

Good thing since this will cost a fortune.  I would guess 5-8K  Digging at it, that is a Pacific Coast Marine windshield and - it sucks to be you - they stopped doing custom glass in July 2018.  I would still contact  them but you might as well start looking for a whole new windshield as suggested.  https://www.pcmw.ca/aftermarket/

There is a place in Florida called Ocean Dynamics who might be able to make a replacement window. I will keep you posted but wanted to share this with everyone. 

Www.oceandynamics.com

I'm going to be working with Ocean Dynamics in Florida. I've heard good things from both Malibu and Mastercraft dealers about replacement glass they produce.  Rough costs for them to make the passenger replacement window with OEM mild curve and blackout edges that fade with dots is about ~$1,800 which does not include the costs for dealer to remove and replace the old and new window. 

Just sharing information as I get it for those who ever encounter an issue with boat windshields. I will keep you posted on final bill and results. 

https://oceandynamics.com/

1 hour ago, rbell14 said:

I'm going to be working with Ocean Dynamics in Florida. I've heard good things from both Malibu and Mastercraft dealers about replacement glass they produce.  Rough costs for them to make the passenger replacement window with OEM mild curve and blackout edges that fade with dots is about ~$1,800 which does not include the costs for dealer to remove and replace the old and new window. 

Just sharing information as I get it for those who ever encounter an issue with boat windshields. I will keep you posted on final bill and results. 

https://oceandynamics.com/

It's VERY easy to remove and install the window once you take the black strip off the bottom (or at least on the two malibu's I have owned). Another option instead of the dots is tinting all of your windows.

Some history....

A little update on the situation. So I guess in 2008, 2009, part of 2010 Malibu had Marine Hardware making windshields but that ended due to a Patent Discrepancy with Pacific Coast Windshields.  Bad news is Marine Hardware no longer make those windshields. Good news is Pacific Coast makes a nice FULL replacement windshield for ~$4,500.  (Insurance Claim)

I guess this patent discrepancy was a pretty well know issue according to those I've spoken with. 

Ocean Dynamics seemed like the best option to make a replacement piece of glass that matches OEM. Problem is no dealers want to remove just a portion of the windshield. They all want to only do the full replacement. 

So, I'm going with full replacement. 6-8 weeks lead time (bummer). I'm gonna pull the broken out and use it until then. 

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Keep the old parts - you will likely find buyers for them in the next couple years.

Yep, otherwise the dealer will re-sell them. 

Shout out to Linda in customer service at Malibu in Loudon, Tennessee  865-458-5478. She took all my information and identified the history and provided me with a path to fix this given original supplier no longer made the part.

I have 3 Malibu dealers in my area and they all couldn't really find a proper solution for me. I was on a island to figure this out for myself until I reached Linda yesterday. 

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I also had the passenger side window on my 2005 Response windshield shatter for no apparent reason.  It was a PCM windshield, tried contacting PCM they of course no longer make that windshield, but were willing to send me a template kit for $175 USD and then quote on a custom made windshield, approx. $5000-6000 USD was the estimate not including shipping frame to them in British Columbia, Canada.

I ended up sourcing a custom plexiglas replacement from a shop here in Ontario (P&A Plastics), they will fabricate the piece of windshield and install in one day at their shop in Hamilton.  I am currently on the schedule to have this done in the next 2-3 weeks.  I will let you know how it turns out.  The estimate for the whole job is $800-900 CDN.  

I had also talked to Malibu support and they gave me the numbers for the guys in Florida as well, but logistics for Florida weren’t good and still in the $5000 range for windshield.  Someone suggested replacing the windshield with a TaylorMade one as they were also installed on this model year of boat, however TaylorMade also no longer producing this windshield, so another custom deal in the $5000 range.  So I’m thinking this plexiglas will be the way to go.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:58 AM, rbell14 said:

Shout out to Linda in customer service at Malibu in Loudon, Tennessee  865-458-5478. She took all my information and identified the history and provided me with a path to fix this given original supplier no longer made the part.

I have 3 Malibu dealers in my area and they all couldn't really find a proper solution for me. I was on a island to figure this out for myself until I reached Linda yesterday. 

Which path?

• 1 year later...

Received an email from a member so decided to post an update.  The process sucked but in the end I had a Malibu dealer in Petoskey, MI do the install. Pacific Coast Marina made a complete replacement that looked pretty good but not as nice as the original windshield. Obviously they didn’t have the original tools and it would be to expensive to make them for replacement windshields. 

I will I’ll see if I can get some pics posted of the new windshield tomorrow morning. I think the total cost was like $7K for the insurance claim. 

• 2 years later...

I own a 2010 Malibu Response and this last weekend we broke the passenger side windshield by hitting our shore station accidently.  The frame is all good and its just the one piece of glass that faces the front.  I've been looking and then stumbled onto this conversation.  Would anybody have this part or possibly give me some direction?  Thanks in advance for any advice...