Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 MALIBU BOATS RECALL, Non Operational

bbattiste247

1 hour ago, COOP said:

Im surprised they will let a consumer do it. You have to pressure test the fuel system after the new parts are put in.

Dumb question: Don't you just turn on the engine and the fuel lines are pressurized?  I think this is the magical part that my dealer does not have, something to pressure test the fuel lines after the recall is complete, to be sure it is not going to leak.  

12 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Dumb question: Don't you just turn on the engine and the fuel lines are pressurized?  I think this is the magical part that my dealer does not have, something to pressure test the fuel lines after the recall is complete, to be sure it is not going to leak.  

They have to pressure test the entire fuel system, not just from the pump to the engine.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
1 hour ago, gregtay said:

My dealer (Seattle Boat Co) rocks... called yesterday and they were receiving the package from Malibu with the needed parts yesterday and they scheduled me in for today... dropped the boat off this morning on my way to work and they are already getting it taken care of so I will have zero down time. 

That's solid!

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

My dealer (Seattle Boat Co) rocks... called yesterday and they were receiving the package from Malibu with the needed parts yesterday and they scheduled me in for today... dropped the boat off this morning on my way to work and they are already getting it taken care of so I will have zero down time. 

Happy to hear that!

42 minutes ago, semi said:

it is affecting other boats. I have a raptor and its affected. 

I just bought an 18 last month with the Raptor but I've heard nothing about it - just the 19s I assume from the release posted earlier?

Took my boat in anyways even tho it was not on the list yet.  New list coming out daily.  My grommet was not cracked but I had them replace it anyways with new upgraded grommet. The new grommet has wider flange area to seal better, and to not hopefully split.

2 hours ago, pauley71 said:

That is what they are replacing ...

image.thumb.png.873e9cdb6b0b4dc433fb81fc1fd3ba50.png

Doesn't that mean that the only way to see if that gasket is tight is to pressurize the gas tank?  

20 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

do we know if they have to pull the main floor panel on a 23 LSV to get to it?

I am sure they do as that is how you get to the fuel tank the pump is in the tank. But it is just a few screws and the big access panel lifts out.

@ahopkinsVTX @Ronnie Mods... Should we start a new thread on this recall that is pinned with the details (at least what we know.) This thread title is 25LSV focused so people might miss it. Lot of good info for people who are (or are not) impacted by the issue. Might be good to just have the facts and know info from Malibu.  Maybe someone can reach out to Malibu corp and see if there is any statement/info they want us to share or for customers to have. Hopefully most of those impacted get a call soon from their dealer and hopefully the issue is really not that widespread and they are being overly cautious but I know there have been a few threads about people smelling gas on new boats after filling/overfilling the tank (again.. I can't confirm but my understanding is the issue can occur if the tank is completely full/overfull.)  I normally think of recalls as "not really a big deal" but in this case since we have heard of a few TMC members have the issue and it centers on fuel spillage into the hull.. (fumes really being the concern) then I figured that was important enough to have it taken care of ASAP on my boat.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, gregtay said:

@ahopkinsVTX @Ronnie Mods... Should we start a new thread on this recall that is pinned with the details (at least what we know.) This thread title is 25LSV focused so people might miss it. Lot of good info for people who are (or are not) impacted by the issue. Might be good to just have the facts and know info from Malibu.  Maybe someone can reach out to Malibu corp and see if there is any statement/info they want us to share or for customers to have. Hopefully most of those impacted get a call soon from their dealer and hopefully the issue is really not that widespread and they are being overly cautious but I know there have been a few threads about people smelling gas on new boats after filling/overfilling the tank (again.. I can't confirm but my understanding is the issue can occur if the tank is completely full/overfull.)  I normally think of recalls as "not really a big deal" but in this case since we have heard of a few TMC members have the issue and it centers on fuel spillage into the hull.. (fumes really being the concern) then I figured that was important enough to have it taken care of ASAP on my boat.

I changed the title to 2019 Malibu Boats and Pinned it. I don't see a need to start another thread on it. If you have a 2019 boat, a call to your dealer should get you all the info you need if they haven't been in contact with you yet.

Mine was repaired today. The Tech told me the grommet was already showing signs of damage. 

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I changed the title to 2019 Malibu Boats and Pinned it. I don't see a need to start another thread on it. If you have a 2019 boat, a call to your dealer should get you all the info you need if they haven't been in contact with you yet.

Mine was repaired today. The Tech told me the grommet was already showing signs of damage. 

Coolness.  

5 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

Just have to say that I am overly impressed and frankly proud of Malibu Boats in their swift response to the gasket recall.

I was just at my local dealer (WaterSki America) in Dallas, TX and saw that they have 4 Malibu badged technicians fixing every single boat they could get their hands on with the gasket recall.  Malibu is sending people to the dealers all over the country - how awesome is that!!!

Quick 30 minute fix from drop off to hook up.   

I’d say that is pretty damn impressive. I saw the same sort of thing happen back in 2008... the new 23LSV had some hiccups (new design, mux panels, new motor, etc) and Malibu sent crews around the US fixing them. They even offered to come to my house to do the wrk here if it wasn’t convenient for me to take it to my dealer. 

Can someone explain why the fuel system has to be pressurized?  I understand the concept for sure to check for leaks, but this means we don't trust the new grommet?  

It is obviously something that is not routinely done with changing the fuel pump since a large dealer like Boulder Boats doesn't even have the capacity to do it right now, and fuel pumps fail with some regularity.