Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 MALIBU BOATS RECALL, Non Operational

bbattiste247

I just received a call from my dealer that I am not to operate my boat until a potential gas leak is fixed. Thankfully my dealer hopped on this quickly and is going to get my boat in this week. They said it has something to do with an O-ring or gasket in a fuel line with the possibility it could catch on fire.  Anyone else heard of this?

Correct. Its a gasket on the fuel pump regulator. The recall is nation wide and Coast Guard monitored. Its also across multiple boat brands. We have been told that ALL 2019 boats will need to have the work done.

We already have the parts in stock here and have completed several boats.  The official notice just went out late monday. 

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
Just now, COOP said:

Correct. Its a gasket on the fuel pump regulator. The recall is nation wide and Coast Guard monitored. Its also across multiple boat brands. We have been told that ALL 2019 boats will need to have the work done.

We already have the parts in stock here and have completed several boats.  The official notice just went out late monday. 

All 2019 model year or all built in 2019? Ours was built last July/August and I haven’t heard from our dealer yet. 

All I was saying is that the USCG does not list the recall.  TI Automotive has been in a LOT of recalls - check NHTSA.  If it does get to USCG, we will at least see the number of boats mfg. since last September.

I smelled gas on my 19 T23 this weekend and when I pulled the drain plug, it was clear that gas came out. Took it in on Monday and they let me know today about the recall. The ceramic coating looks goods though. 

CA5A3CC7-96F8-4820-AB0C-EBA5708787C0.jpeg

3962DB57-8FAA-4DCA-92C2-42295A0C4686.jpeg

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

All 2019 model year or all built in 2019? Ours was built last July/August and I haven’t heard from our dealer yet. 

Looks like boats made after Sept 2018.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, COOP said:

I was told this by Malibu. The recall may be under the fuel pump vendor. If you doubt it, then I dont know what to say.

From Malibu:

Please give the attached material your immediate attention!To proactively provide you with information about a Mandatory Recall regarding a potentially defective fuel pump grommet affecting new product, we have attached two documents to this email. One has been prepared by TI Automotive, the supplier, along with the Malibu-Axis Mandatory Recall notice. We are coordinating with the U.S. Coast Guard to ensure compliance, and we require your urgent attention and assistance in effecting this correction. All registered boat owners will also being receiving notification very shortly by mail.

If you have affected boats, your Malibu-Axis Technical Representative will be contacting you directly within the next few days! They will walk you through which of your 2019 deliveries require attention. In an effort to be proactive and to encourage dealerships to follow suit, we will begin the process immediately, although it will take several days for the Reps to reach everyone and ensure your understanding of what will be required.

Concurrently, we are packaging the kits required to correct this matter. You do not need to call, email or order a kit! These will be shipped out Red Label over the next few days to dealerships. As soon as you begin receiving the kits, contact affected consumers and schedule this important correction.

We encourage you to first recall those boats that have already been delivered to customers. Protecting those who are using or are about to use an affected boat should receive priority. Please DO NOT release any additional boats on your lot or scheduled for delivery until this matter has been corrected! As you know, the safety and well-being of everyone supersedes promised delivery dates!

If, after reading the attached material, you have questions, PLEASE WRITE DOWN YOUR QUESTIONS and retain for the contact initiated by your Rep. We are asking that you not call your Rep as it will delay the roll-out of this Recall, potentially for you as well other dealers. If you have an affected boat awaiting pick-up by a customer, email your Rep. All emails are read and responded to quickly, and the Reps will be giving priority to this Recall.

TI Automotive joins us in apologizing for the inconvenience this represents to you and to the valued Malibu-Axis customer. We will strive to expedite this process.

Malibu-Axis Customer Service Department

From the recall I get from Malibu:

SUMMARY:
TI Automotive is issuing a recall on all Malibu and Axis boats in serial
range E1000-H9999 produced between September 11, 2018 and May
20, 2019. It has been identified that these models may have an issue with
the grommet on the fuel pump regulator that may allow for a fuel leak.
This leakage could result in damage to the boat and injury and/or death to
persons. This is a mandatory recall. DO NOT let any boats leave your facility
without grommets being checked and/or replaced.

So builds from september forward are affected.

E1000-H9000... Isn't the letter the model number?  My boat was S2500 (S being for the newer 23LSV, right?)... so it is outside of that stated range??  I am S2500D9 (April production), so it falls in the date range but by looking at the serial number range isn't that only certain models (the E-H?)  Or is SN not the same as the Hull ID?  I talked with my dealer and I am on the list and I am going to have it taken care of, just trying to understand the SN range.

1 minute ago, TallRedRider said:

This comes at the worst possible time for me.  Lake Powell trip next week.  Adult kids coming from out of town, some other guests too.  No other available weeks on the houseboat.  

Looks like my boat is grounded until further notice.  I can see the temptation to just go and keep an eye out for fuel in the bilge, but having the boat explode is just not on my 'to do' list next week.  

Call your dealer ASAP.  I know my dealer had the parts arrive today and I don't think it is a huge work task (time wise) to do the recall.  So some quick action might save your trip.

21 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

This comes at the worst possible time for me.  Lake Powell trip next week.  Adult kids coming from out of town, some other guests too.  No other available weeks on the houseboat.  

Edited by Dfowkes
Inaccurate
  • Like 2

I agree @TallRedRider if you have a dealer worth anything that trip should be safe and they should be able to get you taken care of.  I just happened to be dropping mine off for break in service today, so timing worked out good for me, which is rare.  My dealer already has parts in hand. 

Bummer to hear of this overall, but sort of glad it isn’t an issue pinned on the new Malibu made motor.  

• Like 2

That’s where I am at. Little over 7 hrs and heading into dealer tomorrow for 10 hr service and recall (parts are supposed to arrive tomorrow). Surfs up Friday!

• Like 2

My break in service was already scheduled for tomorrow.  But for some reason, they said that he might not be able to fully complete the job.  Something about not having the right equipment on their mobile truck.   I offered to buy whatever tool is needed to get it done, or even take the boat to Las Vegas (120 miles away).   They said they will know more tomorrow.  I bet they get me taken care of, but it still is a little stressful.  Any other time and I would be fine with waiting, although I am sure there are a dozen other people all having a similar excuse about why they need it done now.  

• Like 2

My 2019 25lsv was not in the list and it was built in January of 2019.  So check with your dealer not all are effected. But I have the supercharged motor, maybe these have different fuel pump/regulators? I know a friend that has a m235 same motor and not on recall list either.

Edited by Capdoogie
54 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

My break in service was already scheduled for tomorrow.  But for some reason, they said that he might not be able to fully complete the job.  Something about not having the right equipment on their mobile truck.   I offered to buy whatever tool is needed to get it done, or even take the boat to Las Vegas (120 miles away).   They said they will know more tomorrow.  I bet they get me taken care of, but it still is a little stressful.  Any other time and I would be fine with waiting, although I am sure there are a dozen other people all having a similar excuse about why they need it done now.  

Yep, I am scheduled for Friday, but Malibu is requiring some additional procedures that require a certain tool. Malibu is going to overnight it, but BB is not sure when it will be sent.

9 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

Surely they’ll get it done. It’s a quick fix. I actually smelled fuel on mine last week and called dealer to inquire about it and set up a time to get it looked at. Wasn’t long and they called me back notifying me of the recall and said I shouldn’t operate it until it was taken care of. They worked it right in and got it taken care of immediately. I went ahead and had them take care of the break in service at the same time too. 

14 hours ago, gregtay said:

E1000-H9000... Isn't the letter the model number?  My boat was S2500 (S being for the newer 23LSV, right?)... so it is outside of that stated range??  I am S2500D9 (April production), so it falls in the date range but by looking at the serial number range isn't that only certain models (the E-H?)  Or is SN not the same as the Hull ID?  I talked with my dealer and I am on the list and I am going to have it taken care of, just trying to understand the SN range.

Your boat is in the range.

E is the beginning boat model designation.

The next 4 numbers are the sequence of production.

The letter designation for the next boat depends on what is scheduled to be produced. Can be an S, H, V, etc.

I also have heard that a revised number range is coming, but it will end with boats produced on 5/20.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
Clarification
14 hours ago, Dfowkes said:

My dealer says 30 minute job to replace the grommet. They sent the parts to me today. 

Im surprised they will let a consumer do it. You have to pressure test the fuel system after the new parts are put in.