Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Vride

Jimmydale

Just wondering what the wake is like behind a 2006 vride. I'm 6'3" and weigh 250lbs. Am I going to be able to surf behind this boat. I'm willing to put a shaper and play with the ballasts. Just looking for some opinions on this boat and surfing possibilities. Thank you 

• Like 1

I have a 2006 Vride. I'm still trying to get the surf wave right. If I go all the way forward on my board, I'm able to let go of tension on the rope. add a little pumping and I can ride longer, but ultimately, i can't maintain the ride w/o the rope (I blame my skill, weight, board combo)

My setup;

• Wake Shaper
  • Center MLS
  • Rear 2x750# Flyhigh Pro X Bag (though i'm not confident enough to have these really full yet)
  • 4'10" Slingshot surfboard, Zup Board
  • I'm 6'1 215lbs
  • 10.4mph
  • My boat doesn't have the floating wedge or bracket

I have one more 500# bag I want to try filling up in the middle/bow, because I want a little more push.

https://imgur.com/uP2fNIN

https://imgur.com/Vu6PxBQ

Edited by smileysteve
6 hours ago, Jimmydale said:

Just wondering what the wake is like behind a 2006 vride. I'm 6'3" and weigh 250lbs. Am I going to be able to surf behind this boat. I'm willing to put a shaper and play with the ballasts. Just looking for some opinions on this boat and surfing possibilities. Thank you 

I have the same SV23 hull, 6'3 200lbs and mine surfs pretty well.  I have a buddy that is 6'5" and MUCH larger than me that also surfs our boat on the regular.  So yeah, it can do it just fine.

2 hours ago, smileysteve said:

I have a 2006 Vride. I'm still trying to get the surf wave right. If I go all the way forward on my board, I'm able to let go of tension on the rope. add a little pumping and I can ride longer, but ultimately, i can't maintain the ride w/o the rope (I blame my skill, weight, board combo)

My setup;

• Wake Shaper
  • Center MLS
  • Rear 2x750# Flyhigh Pro X Bag (though i'm not confident enough to have these really full yet)
  • 4'10" Slingshot surfboard, Zup Board
  • I'm 6'1 215lbs
  • 10.4mph
  • My boat doesn't have the floating wedge or bracket

I have one more 500# bag I want to try filling up in the middle/bow, because I want a little more push.

You need more weight.  Much more weight.  I run:
-1100's in the lockers, as full as they will go (probably 900lbs)
- Center sack, ~500lbs
- Under seat front bag, ~300lbs
- Under seat port bag, ~300lbs
- 100lbs lead stuffed in the nose
- 100lbs lead on the port and another 100 on the starboard side, between the interior and hull, right it front of the rear bags
- Typically 200lbs of lead under the bow filler typically, though we are known to move that around
- Floating wedge
- Suction wake shaper

Typically run around 10.7MPH.  

• 2 weeks later...

Filled up my 3rd bag, 500# launch. Under the bow filler cushion and there was a lot more push.

Today it was just 2 of us, I suspect with a couple of more humans we'd be good.

2 hours ago, smileysteve said:

Filled up my 3rd bag, 500# launch. Under the bow filler cushion and there was a lot more push.

Today it was just 2 of us, I suspect with a couple of more humans we'd be good.

You still need more weight.  I just got back from vacation today at Norris Lake; my buddy also brought his 247 LSV with about 5000lbs of ballast and Go Surf Assist. 

We did an early morning surf session, just me and him, yesterday morning.  Though his wake is bigger/longer, he had no issues surfing behind mine and could work on his same surfing techniques on mine.  His words "there is nothing about this wave that would hold you back."  Put more weight in her.  

I've been surfing a similar hull (same hull as @Nitrousbird) since 2005.  I've been around 250 lbs the whole time.  This was before the days of shapers, surf tabs, etc.

We run 500 lbs in the bow, 400ish lbs under the side seats, and 5-600 lbs in the rear locker with the wedge down.  With that and some people, the wake is surprisingly good.  It's not a 30 foot pocket, but it's a good three board lengths of play space with plenty of push for my big behind on a pretty fast board.

100_1374.JPG

lucerne07 011.jpg

Edited by UWSkier
On 6/5/2019 at 12:33 PM, Jimmydale said:

You will need a fast and floaty board, the board will make a big difference. I am no expert but I have tried 4 boards and have found big differences between them.