Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgate, opens service, not normal or calibrate

First trip out last weekend, and the SG didn't work.  Go into settings, calibrate.  Nothing.  Service.  They go out.  End.  They come in.  Strange thing is, when I hit the calibrate button, the actuators actually sound like they are working, making that kind of noise, but the gates don't come out.  I have searched here, sorry if this is a common problems and my queries haven't been right.  But has anyone seen this?  Unfortunately I don't have a trailer, so getting it to a dealer will be tough.

Using the calibrate surf gate in the settings screen will run the gates to the full retracted position, even if they are already in the retracted position (meaning that the actuators will run, but the gates will not move).  Using the surf gate service, the actuators will run both of the gates to the extended position, and then will go back to the retracted position when you touch the end icon.

The selected surf gate will only extends when the boat is going from about 7 to 14 MPH, above or below that speed the gates will retract.  So, if the Speedo is not working the gates won't work.  The port gate extends for surf right, and the starboard gate extends for surf left.

If the fasteners are too tight on the actuator eyelets, it may not extend.  There are several other things that can cause surf gate issues, but it may be easier for your dealer to troubleshoot it for you at that point.

20 hours ago, 67King said:

First trip out last weekend, and the SG didn't work.  Go into settings, calibrate.  Nothing.  Service.  They go out.  End.  They come in.  Strange thing is, when I hit the calibrate button, the actuators actually sound like they are working, making that kind of noise, but the gates don't come out.  I have searched here, sorry if this is a common problems and my queries haven't been right.  But has anyone seen this?  Unfortunately I don't have a trailer, so getting it to a dealer will be tough.

As @csleaver is saying SG service will move the gates, on my ‘14, if I have an issue I have to run calibrate snd then service and mine always starts working , but the 13 Malibu and 14 Axis are the  same set up, yours is the newer faster actuators but SG service is probably your fix, 

you will know immediately as both gates will extend and cone back in when yiu hit the finish button

Edited by granddaddy55
On 6/5/2019 at 12:51 AM, csleaver said:

Using the calibrate surf gate in the settings screen will run the gates to the full retracted position, even if they are already in the retracted position (meaning that the actuators will run, but the gates will not move).  Using the surf gate service, the actuators will run both of the gates to the extended position, and then will go back to the retracted position when you touch the end icon.

The selected surf gate will only extends when the boat is going from about 7 to 14 MPH, above or below that speed the gates will retract.  So, if the Speedo is not working the gates won't work.  The port gate extends for surf right, and the starboard gate extends for surf left.

If the fasteners are too tight on the actuator eyelets, it may not extend.  There are several other things that can cause surf gate issues, but it may be easier for your dealer to troubleshoot it for you at that point.

Calibrate......I thought they deployed then retracted?  Seems I have done that before.  Anyway, okay.  They are fully retracted.  In service, they extend fully.  Then when you hit end, they retract.  So they are capable of functioning.

11.4MPH indicated speed, and SG is not deploying.

Unfortunately, like I said, I don't have a trailer, so I don't really ahve a way to get it to the dealer. 

Try selecting the RESET to factory defaults at the bottom of your setup menu on the lower right touchscreen.  After the reset is successful, turn off the dash power, then turn off the battery switch.  Turn the battery switch back on and the dash power back on.  Then perform the surf gate calibration in the setup menu, select surf left on your big screen, speed up to 10 MPH and see if your gate works.  Some of the other settings may change after the reset, so you may also have to change some of the OUTPUT, LIGHTING, and TIME ZONE settings back to what they were before.

Edited by csleaver
9 hours ago, csleaver said:

Try selecting the RESET to factory defaults at the bottom of your setup menu on the lower right touchscreen.  After the reset is successful, turn off the dash power, then turn off the battery switch.  Turn the battery switch back on and the dash power back on.  Then perform the surf gate calibration in the setup menu, select surf left on your big screen, speed up to 10 MPH and see if your gate works.  Some of the other settings may change after the reset, so you may also have to change some of the OUTPUT, LIGHTING, and TIME ZONE settings back to what they were before.

Just make sure you take pictures of your presets before doing this so you can then redo them.

Chances are any you made will disappear after the reset.