Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 Wakesetter 23 LSV concerne

6Kindleys

How can you tell? What measurements should I look for? I don’t see any obvious signs of misalignment. No egged out holes or cracks anywhere. 

Look at the HIN# stamped in the starboard side of stern. Last 4 digits should have a letter and three numbers. A= January, B= February and so on. Number next to letter is the year

Got ya. Well mine is a2006 and the last 4 are I506. So I guess that means my Damper plate is a ticking time bomb with I being September and the 5 being 2005 so guess is was a early 2006 build in late 2005. Any chance It is I for September the the last two are the year and it was built sept 2006? Then I might be free and clear of the dreaded Damper plate issues. :unsure:

Ha I kind of doubt it, but maybe you’re just a lucky dude. I’m not pretending to be an expert but if you don’t know for sure that it’s been done then it probably would be a good idea to change it. After seeing the wimpy little original plate on mine I can’t believe they don’t all fail.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok got it back together finally! That was a bigger job than I expected. I still have the seats out because I’m struggling with the packing gland. I cannot get the new gland to drip enough to keep the nut/shaft cool. It drips a little but the nut gets too hot to keep a finger on. Should I try GFO or will that not help? 

I think I finally have it worked out! I pulled the third ring of flax out tonight and put it back in the water.  I barely put the packing nut on the shaft log and tightened the lock nut.  It still gets pretty warm to the touch but water is steadily dripping now.  My plan is to run it like this for a while and see what happens. We are headed to Couer de Alene and Preist Lake area for 10 days so it will get a major workout!  I would imagine that I will eventually need to adjust it again or maybe even add the third ring of flax back in, so as always I'm packing tools.

I said that i would post pics and thoughts as I went through this project.  Fact is most of what I did has already been well documented.   blk93jeepzj did a great post on the exact issue I had.  I used his post like a service manual.  

Here are my final thoughts on this project in case someone else searches for Damper plate issues or packing nut problems needing help later on.

1) Its a big undertaking ripping the whole rear end off of a boat that you just bought!  If you are mechanically inclined and patient however, it really is a DYI project. 

2) Pre-order the damper plate and the bellhousing.  Dont beat yourself up like I did and have to wait another week after you decide to change out the bellhousing

3) Take your time with removing the Vdrive!!!!!  I got in a big a@% hurry and buggered up the input seal.  Ya you can only get that sucker from Walter.....and the three or four gaskets that you need.......and the instructions to reset the pump clearance because you thought you would check the ujoints in the angle housing.    Anyway the dude at Walter knows his Vdrive!!!!

4) You will absolutely need to align the prop shaft flange/Vdrive output flange.  You will move the motor when lifting it and removing the drivetrain.  

5) I would replace the packing gland while its apart, but be aware its a fickle little dude getting it set back up.  At least mine was

I dont sugar coat things and I would never claim to be an expert on this.  It was difficult but I know a lot more about my boat now, and hopefully someone can benefit from my experience 

• Like 3

Great job @6Kindleys!  Glad it went smooth for you and like you said now you know your boat even better.  If you have some mechanical experience it really is a DIY job, but does take some patience and time to get it all done.  

Enjoy your vacation and the satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself.