Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 Wakesetter 23 LSV concerne

6Kindleys

Hello all. We just sold our beloved 87 Malibu Skier after 20 years. Upgraded to a 2004 Wakesetter 23 LSV that we’re pickinv up tonight.  It has a 380 hammerhead with 650 hours. Test ride seemed good except for a slight surge on the top end. Is that normal with these bigger v drive boats. Could have been the water/slight wakes i guess. Any suggestions or upgrade ideas would be appreciated. 

It feels like it leans out a little at just below top speed. Not quite a miss but almost like a rev limiter in a pickup. 

When I would hit the rev limiter on my '04 HH380, it would pulsate quickly. You could definitely tell it was a rev limiter. Prop could be cavitating. 

Ok that’s kind of what I was thinking about the prop too. Didn’t feel quite the same as a rev limiter but similar. I’m thinking I might re-prop it for high elevation anyway. Thank you for responding. We’re hitting the water Friday so we’ll see how it goes

That’s a good idea on the filter,. The p/o claimed all maintenance has been done, but who really knows. I’ll try to figure out how to load pics 

You guys are on it!! We took the boat out for the first time yesterday. I changed out the fuel filter and it ran flawlessly! We absolutely love it! I can’t get pics from my phone to load but I’ll try to get some on here. I’m going to tighten the shaft packing nut after I cab up a wrench. Thank you all for the help

formulaben
1 hour ago, 6Kindleys said:

You guys are on it!! We took the boat out for the first time yesterday. I changed out the fuel filter and it ran flawlessly! We absolutely love it! I can’t get pics from my phone to load but I’ll try to get some on here. I’m going to tighten the shaft packing nut after I cab up a wrench. Thank you all for the help

Go easy on re-tightening...shaft packing tutorial.

So I tightened the prop shaft packing  nut about 1 flat.  The steady stream slowed to a consistent drip with no heat on the prop shaft, just a little warm to the touch.  I feel good about that adjustment.

A new concern has come up though. When I put the boat in gear I get a vibration at idle and low rpms. Goes away with more throttle. I’m wondering if the damper plate is about to go? Boat has 660 hrs and the 380 HH. Is that a normal thing? Our old Malibu skier did something similar but it was a DD

Alright, we took it out again tonight to confirm what I thought I heard. Definitely a rattle, light knock in the area of the bellhousing. It’s not super loud but after all the reading I’ve done on the damper plate issue, I’m pretty concerned. Any other ideas on what it could be before I dive into the project?  

Ive rebuilt several auto trannies so I’m pretty sure I can do it. Any suggestions on the best upgrade? 

Vibration, Shaft alignment?  Worn strut bushing?  Dinged or bent prop? 

Is there any cracks on the bell housing by the starter?  Does the starter ever drag (slow turn over) when you try to start the engine?

Only one option for the damper plate on the 04.  https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-drive-dampener-plate-heavy-duty-all-gm-motors.html

Replacing the bell housing is a must too.  https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-bell-housing-for-gm-top-or-bottom-mount-starter.html

12 hours ago, 6Kindleys said:

Alright, we took it out again tonight to confirm what I thought I heard. Definitely a rattle, light knock in the area of the bellhousing. It’s not super loud but after all the reading I’ve done on the damper plate issue, I’m pretty concerned. Any other ideas on what it could be before I dive into the project?  

Ive rebuilt several auto trannies so I’m pretty sure I can do it. Any suggestions on the best upgrade? e

If you do it yourself let us know how long it takes and how you lift the engine and what other parts you used.  I have an 05 and am considering pre-ordering the parts so I have them if (when) my damper plate goes bad - or so I can do it after pulling the boat next fall.  I really do not want to leave it at the Indmar dealer for several weeks (normal summer wait) to get it fixed!

I wrote up some basic instructions in another thread, it's been a couple years since I did it.  Takes about a day.  No need to remove the engine.

Actually I was going to message you. I’ve been studying your write up. Thank you. What damper plate did you use? Is it still holding up? Is a little gear rattle normal on these boats?

Message me any time.

I used the damper plate from the local Malibu dealer, so the same one that I linked.  When I did the engine swap (previous owner did't winterize) I replaced the damper plate as preventative maintenance since I was already there.  It let go a 2 years later (didn't change the bell housing with the engine swap since that was not the know cause).  Replaced the bell housing and damper plate, still going strong and on the 5th summer this year. 

Can't say that I have any gear rattle. 

No Starter drag, starts great. No cracks in the bellhousing either. Maybe aim being too cautious, the old skier had kind of a gear rattle at idle I  gear too.

• 2 weeks later...

So I’m halfway there. It’s all torn apart. Blackjeep93zj you said the bellhousing is a must replace? It looks like the original damper to me. At least I can’t imagine putting the original style wimpy tin plate in there. The troubled years seem to be late 04-05? It is the old style bellhousing but is there a way to tell if it’s one with the bad casting? Mine was built in Oct 03 so if it’s ok I’ll reuse it

The troubled years seem to be late 04-early 06. How far outside that window I’m not sure. 05 was the very worst. 

There is a way to tell if the bell house is out of alignment, that would be the only way to diagnose if it’s bad or not. Being an 03 build it may not be an issue.