Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time for a new wake surf rope

Leatherneck33

I have been using an older Liquid Force wake surf rope for the last 3-4 years and it is time to replace it.  Just wondering what rope everyone is using these days?

I have a Hyperlite similar to this one.  I didn't feel the need to buy the most expensive rope for something I am using for such a short time.  Some of these ropes get pricey.

44 minutes ago, wdr said:

We have been using the Ronix bungee type rope. A lot easier on everyones shoulders and about the same cost.

Does the bungee rope really make a difference? I'm still using whatever rope I bought 10 years ago but if something is easier on my old shoulders I need to invest.

It will all come down to preference.. I like the bungee for me.. I am not on the rope for long, but if I am practicing tricks, it is nice to recover without all the impact.. I have not tried the handleless ropes.. they look intriguing as well. I have had my Ronix for 5 years now and is still fine.

I have a brand new used once handle less rope. Arthritis has made me lose my kung fu grip so I can't use it one handed and the rope is generally too big for a kid or a woman to use it unless she plays for WNBA.

2 hours ago, wdr said:

I have a brand new used once handle less rope. Arthritis has made me lose my kung fu grip so I can't use it one handed and the rope is generally too big for a kid or a woman to use it unless she plays for WNBA.

I don't like the no handle rope, because it is hard for people to hang on to. With that said I want one. I had the handle wrap around a guys leg and interlock itself, (kinda like that barefoot video someone posted a while ago) It was not good. Luckily, I noticed and got the boat in reverse before it was to late. 

I rode one last year that a guy had made. No handle but he braided a loop in it that could be used as a handle. I am still looking for a good rope to do this with. Or if anybody has a link, please post it up.

Edited by Sparky450

We use the liquid force one with the large foam grips on the rope.  When we teach newbies we make sure the grips are in the sweet spot and teach by having them climb up to the foam grips.   Not sure why other ropes dont have bigger grips on the rope.  

2 hours ago, wdr said:

I have seen what amounts to a half or fist width handle before, but I cant remember what brand it was.

That is what I use and it wrapped around the guys leg. He was not a beginner, just a freak thing that happened.

20 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

That is what I use and it wrapped around the guys leg. He was not a beginner, just a freak thing that happened.

I think I can see that happening. The rope wraps around the leg and then the handle wedges between the leg and the rope locking it on the leg. Freak for sure.

14 hours ago, wdr said:

I have seen what amounts to a half or fist width handle before, but I cant remember what brand it was.

T handle rope is the safest but when it’s foam wears off handle it’s deadly to gel throwing in to back if boat, 

its the safest , very easy to use snd since it’s braiding is so thick you can just toss it to other side of wake and leave it there while surfing  cause the twisting and turning won’t affect it