Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Interior Speakers Not Working 25 LSV

CaptainCrunch10

I took the boat out on Sunday and the interior speakers didn't work. Only the tower speakers worked. Could it be a fuse or something? The boat only has 13 hours. 

Thanks for the help in advance!

Just now, CaptainCrunch10 said:

I took the boat out on Sunday and the interior speakers didn't work. Only the tower speakers worked. Could it be a fuse or something? The boat only has 13 hours. 

Thanks for the help in advance!

Just checking obvious things but was the volume for that zone turned up?   The 7” screen toggles between main, tower, and interior for what the sport knob controls on volume.  Sorry if this is too obvious - not trying to insult, but just running through the easiest stuff first.  

I turned the zones up. At one point I turned the volume all the way up and only heard the tower speakers. So I turned the tower speakers down and the only zone that worked was the tower speakers. 

Did you try powering the stereo off and back on? As MLA asked, was the amp powered on? 

I have been having issues with my interior speakers shutting off. It appears to be an amp issue, dealer is currently working on it.... 

My 2018 23 LSV is doing the same thing but the tower speakers will randomly increase the volume on their own. I can barely hear sound coming from the interior speakers. All zones are turned up. Any advice is appreciated.

2019 21 MLX doing the same.  Typically a restart of the stereo will fix it, sometimes for the day sometimes for a little while.  

I have a 2017 23 LSV.  If I ever start the engine while the stereo is on, the interior speakers will stop working.  Even if I go into the controls and turn up the interior zone all the way.....no dice.

I've indicated this to the dealer when it has been in for service, but it has not been fixed.  I just am now in the habit of turning the stereo off before starting the engine.  Not sure if that's the issue with yours.

It's really weird that we are all experiencing the same issue with the speakers on our boats. I am taking my boat in this week to see if the dealer can figure it out. I'll keep you guys updated.

10 hours ago, Malibuckeye said:

2019 21 MLX doing the same.  Typically a restart of the stereo will fix it, sometimes for the day sometimes for a little while.  

My 18 LSV is the same.

ahopkins22LSV

The 2017 vtx I demo’d For a bit would do this. I’d have to turn the stereo main power off before restarting the engine then turn it right back on after starting it. Otherwise the main cabin/sub amp would flash a code that there was a short coming from channel 2 or 4. I can’t remember for sure. Never did find out if it was an amp issue or a speaker issue. Sounds more like an amp/programming issue if multiple people  are having this same problem. 

To be the contrarian, I don’t experience these issues.  Now, Bluetooth wouldn’t connect tonight, but I have zero issues with speakers not playing sound, including starting motor with stereo on.  *knocks on wood

Mine did the same thing. I had to turn up the volume control and it finally stopped. The one all the way to the left on the screen. It is the one that turns the volume up and down with the throttle. 

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, hethj7 said:

To be the contrarian, I don’t experience these issues.  Now, Bluetooth wouldn’t connect tonight, but I have zero issues with speakers not playing sound, including starting motor with stereo on.  *knocks on wood

Yeah my 19 vtx has been fine. No issues through 70 hours and the stereo has been on for a lot more then that! :)

9 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

Mine did the same thing. I had to turn up the volume control and it finally stopped. The one all the way to the left on the screen. It is the one that turns the volume up and down with the throttle. 

Makes sense that auto volume would affect this but then it should have affected towers as well if same issue 

On 6/5/2019 at 8:22 AM, granddaddy55 said:

Makes sense that auto volume would affect this but then it should have affected towers as well if same issue 

Unless the volume levels were different for each zone already - could be the auto volume turns down all of them but it takes the interior speakers to zero?  Sounds like you already checked that - you could go in to the settings and turn auto volume off altogether and see if that helps.

There are low voltage cutoffs built into the amplifiers to prevent damage.

If your stereo is on and you start the engine the voltage could be dropping below the cutoff which would put the amplifier into protect mode. Turning the stereo off and then turning it on would then allow it up operate because it now sees that the voltage is at an acceptable level.

There could be a different timer in the tower amp allowing it to stay on.

There are updated programs for the earlier model amplifiers that may help alleviate the issue. Touch base with your dealer to see. May be some for the 19 models as well but I don't know that for sure.

• 3 months later...

My stereo does the same thing if I start the boat while the stereo is on the inboat/sub amp turns off.  If i turn the stereo off on the dash then turn back on everything works as it should until I shut the engine off then back on again!  Very frustrating, anyone find a fix for this?  I hate to take all the way to my dealer if they don't know how to fix it anyway.  Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 7:18 AM, 23LSVOwner said:

There are low voltage cutoffs built into the amplifiers to prevent damage.

If your stereo is on and you start the engine the voltage could be dropping below the cutoff which would put the amplifier into protect mode. Turning the stereo off and then turning it on would then allow it up operate because it now sees that the voltage is at an acceptable level.

There could be a different timer in the tower amp allowing it to stay on.

There are updated programs for the earlier model amplifiers that may help alleviate the issue. Touch base with your dealer to see. May be some for the 19 models as well but I don't know that for sure.

This. Its a pain in the a** problem. The amps are to smart for their own good. 

21 hours ago, COOP said:

This. Its a pain in the a** problem. The amps are to smart for their own good. 

I thought that this is exactly why you run a separate house battery rather than everything on a starting battery.  This isn't about "smart" amps or timers on the amplifiers, it's simply about voltage level.  If you keep both batteries combined for starting, you risk this problem.

Microprocessors have no appreciation for undervoltage situations, so they shut off completely when the voltage drops.  Also, the amplification circuitry will shut off before the voltage drops too low so you don't get clipping and pops that can damage speakers.  When the voltage comes back up, the equipment may come back in standby mode.  Running high-powered equipment on 12V doesn't leave a lot of room for dropouts.

OP hasn't replied for a few months, but I'm curious if he has found any satisfaction yet.  @CaptainCrunch10, are you still around?

6 minutes ago, justgary said:

If you keep both batteries combined for starting, you risk this problem.

I would actually argue the contrary. Combining the batteries sums the available amp hours. This would reduce the voltage drop, compared to a single battery carrying the same load. This is the solution Supra is using right now, to "fix" the very issue of the stereo cycling during starting. They issued a TSB to run their 1/2/BOTH switch on 1+2. 

8 minutes ago, justgary said:

I thought that this is exactly why you run a separate house battery rather than everything on a starting battery

If the boat has a traditional 1/2/BOTH/OFF switch, then running on 1 or 2, really makes now difference, as the stereo is wired through the switch, and is drawing off the same battery as the starter load hits when to fire up the engine. If the boat has the Dual Circuit Plus/ACR setup, then there is an actual dedicated and isolated house bank, and the amps should not see a drop in voltage during cranking, with the switch in the ON position.