Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf suggestions for the wife

1HELLUVALIFE

Wife is (5ft 4in / 125lb) looking for a wakesurf board, she can consistently can get up and ride. Looking for a board that is good for beginners but she can progress on.

Currently looking at the

liquid force dart

hyperlite shim / good daze

slingshot butter bar xr

Any suggestions?  Also how do these compare to the Inland surfer Tako

Thanks in advance

My wife is just a little smaller and loves her Victoria Debut.  I'm going to see if she takes to the Soulcraft Fangtail I picked up a recently but she doesn't seem to want to part with her Victoria.  

• 11 months later...

Not sure which board you bought, but i'm in the same boat this year.

Wife has only been riding for two years but is very athletic.  We have her on the Ronix Powertail and she can surf ropeless for miles. She can move around on the wake, make small turns, and pump.  She is looking for something a little more playful, but not overly responsive.  I had her on a Doomswell Neo last weekend, and it was WAY to responsive.  She is 130 lbs and 5'-5".  We will primarily be riding behind friends wakesurf boats.  NXT23, 21 LSV, 23 LSV, 210 Super Air (ie not the response).

Was looking at a Phase 5 Fang, LF Dart, or Connelly Voodoo

Joeprunc If she likes a surf style board put her back on the Neo if it is the right size for her.  Put in the trailer fins to make it feel more locked in.  Then as she progresses take them out.  Fins make a big difference in these boards it can take a board that feels too loose and playful and make it feel like it is on rails.  I have bought so many boards and I think its best to buy the board you are going to grow into and not spend a bunch of money on boards that will last for one season. 

On your list the only board I would consider is the Phase 5.  

For the OP get her started on something find out if she likes surf or skim, then move her to a purpose built board from a company like Phase 5, Soulcraft, Chaos, Exile, Blusurf, etc.  I stay away from wakeboard companies making surf boards.  

Edited by jb 156

My wife LOVES her Victoria Agent we picked up last year.

She did learn on our Broadcast the first year that we shared, but that board was really too big for her to do anything other than get up and go straight.

On 5/14/2020 at 8:08 AM, jb 156 said:

Joeprunc If she likes a surf style board put her back on the Neo if it is the right size for her.  Put in the trailer fins to make it feel more locked in.  Then as she progresses take them out.  Fins make a big difference in these boards it can take a board that feels too loose and playful and make it feel like it is on rails.  I have bought so many boards and I think its best to buy the board you are going to grow into and not spend a bunch of money on boards that will last for one season. 

On your list the only board I would consider is the Phase 5.  

For the OP get her started on something find out if she likes surf or skim, then move her to a purpose built board from a company like Phase 5, Soulcraft, Chaos, Exile, Blusurf, etc.  I stay away from wakeboard companies making surf boards.  

Thank you for the input.  That is good advice to buy the board for the future. I did have all four fins in the board on the first day out. We have the 4'6" for riders lower than 190 lbs...so right size for both of us.  I'll have her try it again.  She did take 1.5 years off getting in the water due to our recent family edition (our little son).  So maybe she didn't have her sea legs yet.

She is riding the Ronix Powertail now, and the difference in stability of the Powertail vs Neo is like the difference between skiing with two skis, vs just one.  

I'll look a bit more....I its also her birthday coming up, so a little incentive to get her something of her own.  Plus I want to keep her excited of being on the water.

I bought a Ronix Thrasher 5'2" for my family and all my girls and wife can use it and get up easy.  We love this board.  I can send you a vid if you send me an email

what style of surfing does she like?

surf style my lady loves the phase 5 swell  she went from the koalfish to the swell         dm me maybe ill dump the koalfish just sits and collects dust now

skim get the phase 5 matrix and be done