Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Belt replacement sticky?

Is there not a sticky article on replacing the V belt for a 2001 5.7 carbed  engine?  I think I know how to do it but would like to confirm my idea, and trust me I’ve  looked but have yet to find it.  TYIA

Not to hard to do, maybe a few more things as this is all from memory...

1.  Loosen alternator 

2.  Remove bracket for raw water pump.

3.  Disconnect hoses that might be in the way.

4. Take off old belt.  

5.  Replace belt and reattach everything else.  

6. Adjust tension on alternator and tighten bolt.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 11:19 AM, blk93jeepzj said:

Not to hard to do, maybe a few more things as this is all from memory...

1.  Loosen alternator 

2.  Remove bracket for raw water pump.

3.  Disconnect hoses that might be in the way.

4. Take off old belt.  

5.  Replace belt and reattach everything else.  

6. Adjust tension on alternator and tighten bolt.   

what size belt do you need?

If you have the old belt any auto parts store can match it.  If not, take some string and go around the pulleys and you'll have your measurement.

5 hours ago, formulaben said:

If you have the old belt any auto parts store can match it.  If not, take some string and go around the pulleys and you'll have your measurement.

its for a 2001 sunsetter vlx. 5.7L Indmar 325HP Monsoon 350ci EFI

https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-725018-v-belt.html

Description notes:  Indmar 725018 V belt made to fit V8 Indmar Engines Monsoon 320,325,335, LCR 320. This belt was also used on many other Indmar Engines with a V-Belt configuration including Mastercraft Boats, Axis Wake, Moomba Boats and Supra Boats

Product Specs:

This belt was the exclusive belt used on Malibu boats with a Indmar Engines from 1996-2004

Used on Indmar Monsoon and Hammerhead V-Belt 96-04

OEM replacement: Indmar Belt Number S725018 / Gates XL 7430 / Indmar 7430

13 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-725018-v-belt.html

Description notes:  Indmar 725018 V belt made to fit V8 Indmar Engines Monsoon 320,325,335, LCR 320. This belt was also used on many other Indmar Engines with a V-Belt configuration including Mastercraft Boats, Axis Wake, Moomba Boats and Supra Boats

Product Specs:

This belt was the exclusive belt used on Malibu boats with a Indmar Engines from 1996-2004

Used on Indmar Monsoon and Hammerhead V-Belt 96-04

OEM replacement: Indmar Belt Number S725018 / Gates XL 7430 / Indmar 7430

thank you so much! I am going to see if any auto part stores have this, I'm fine with buying online but I need to boat running ASAP for a competition this weekend.

• 1 year later...

is it really this easy??

Second day of vacation and I find the V-Belt broke on my 2000 LSV 23.

New belt was $10 at JC Sports in Clemson - great guys!  New tools from Harbor Freight were $20 - cause mine are at home in Chicago...

I've removed the bracket and loosened the alternator.  A PIA btw...

I tried pulling the impeller housing from the shaft, but that's not happening, unless I'm missing something.  Should I focus on removing the hoses instead of pulling the impeller from the shaft?

Can I remove the hoses when the boat is in the water??  I don't mind some water in the bilge, but don't want to sink her.  Taking the boat out of the water will be a PIA as the launch is over a mile away and I don't want to run it without that belt.  

Thanks in advance for your help!

kfs

25 minutes ago, kfsinc said:

is it really this easy??

Second day of vacation and I find the V-Belt broke on my 2000 LSV 23.

New belt was $10 at JC Sports in Clemson - great guys!  New tools from Harbor Freight were $20 - cause mine are at home in Chicago...

I've removed the bracket and loosened the alternator.  A PIA btw...

I tried pulling the impeller housing from the shaft, but that's not happening, unless I'm missing something.  Should I focus on removing the hoses instead of pulling the impeller from the shaft?

Can I remove the hoses when the boat is in the water??  I don't mind some water in the bilge, but don't want to sink her.  Taking the boat out of the water will be a PIA as the launch is over a mile away and I don't want to run it without that belt.  

Thanks in advance for your help!

kfs

On your 2000, the water from the inlet first goes through the V drive housing.  Leave everything connected to the V drive.  If the water enters the V drive above the water line on the lake, you should be fine to pull your hoses.  Be prepared to lift the hose that comes from the V drive to the raw water intake up into the air above the water line to prevent a bunch of water rushing in.

Of course, that step is easier if you have a shut-off valve anywhere between your through-hull intake and the supply line to the raw water pump.  Either way, you won't sink your boat if there's a loop above water line.

When you pull the second hose off, the one shaped like a J that carries water from the pump housing to the transmission cooler, you will get a bunch of water dumping out of the engine.  Dump to bilge and it's fine.

You need to loosen the L shaped bracket that attaches to the side of the pump housing.  With the hoses off, the entire pump housing will spin freely on the shaft with that bracket undone.  Loosen the bracket where it connects to the other bracket, don't loosen the bolt connecting the L bracket to the pump assembly itself.

Now just loosen the tension on the belt by loosening the alternator and it'll come right off.  Reverse process to re-assemble.

18 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Sorry - why are you pulling housings and hoses to replace a belt?

Because the belt on a Monsoon has to go behind the raw water pump which is attached in 3 places other than the pulley.  1, the bracket, and 2 hoses.

Edited by UWSkier
21 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Because the belt on a Monsoon has to go behind the raw water pump which is attached in 3 places other than the pulley.  1, the bracket, and 2 hoses.

It's been a few years sinnce I replaced mine - thanks for the info.

• 8 months later...

Been a while since I checked in here.  Big THANKS to UW Skier and others for for the help and tips.  Turned out to be a pretty easy job AFTER I decided to remove the side panels...

We've since moved to the lake mentioned in the original post.  'Bu is on a lift with a heater, water temp is 57F.  Loving it!

• 6 months later...

Are there any other pearls to replacing the belt? I'll remove the water pump bracket and loosen bolt holding the alternator. I'm worried about tensioning the belt after I put it back on. Is there a trick to this?

There was another post about making sure everything is lined up or the belt will shred.

The belt looks great. It's original Indmar. The boat is 2002 and don't think it's ever been replaced. As much as I don't want to do it, I think it's a good idea. Bought the belt already.

Appreciate the help.

13 minutes ago, mnmarty said:

Are there any other pearls to replacing the belt? I'll remove the water pump bracket and loosen bolt holding the alternator. I'm worried about tensioning the belt after I put it back on. Is there a trick to this?

There was another post about making sure everything is lined up or the belt will shred.

The belt looks great. It's original Indmar. The boat is 2002 and don't think it's ever been replaced. As much as I don't want to do it, I think it's a good idea. Bought the belt already.

Appreciate the help.

I think it's a good idea too.  I also suggest changing the cooling hoses, the exhaust hoses, and the fuel hoses as well.

You can use a long screwdriver or bar to help influence the alternator to rotate to tension the new belt.  You want the belt tight enough to not slip, but loose enough to not wear out the alternator bearings.  Test your old belt with your thumb to see how much you can deflect it, then put the new one on the same way (assuming the original was tensioned correctly).  Basically, a 1/2" deflection at the middle of the longest run is probably good.

A vee belt generally lines up without any further thought.  The serpentine belts are the ones that can get off by a groove or two and give you trouble.