Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How long til surf gate boat prices drop?

Chatty21VLX

I've been looking at surf gate equipped boats, and the cheapest ones are the first generation Axis models. Excluding the A20, I haven't seen any boats under $55k ish. How much longer do you think these boats will stay north of $50k?

43 minutes ago, Chatty21VLX said:

I've been looking at surf gate equipped boats, and the cheapest ones are the first generation Axis models. Excluding the A20, I haven't seen any boats under $55k ish. How much longer do you think these boats will stay north of $50k?

Probably until the next economic slowdown 

Hopefully forever?

Seriously tho - It's going to take some serious new innovation that makes the SG obsolete (or at least as obsolete as having no auto-wake manipulation feels currently). As long as the new models are so crazy, the new-ish models are going to stay similarly crazy.

• Like 2

I feel you, we just spent $60 on a 14 A24 and I looked long and hard for something cheaper. In the end, if I was going to spend $55, I was willing to spend $60 to get something that would fit my whole crew. Interestingly enough, our 12 a22 was still worth nearly what we paid for it three years later. It's not just the surf gate equipped boats that are keeping value right now.

• Like 2

With the price of new boats going up 5-7% every year the used boats are holding their value longer and longer.  That said there are still some deals to be had if you can act fast. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, abovewater said:

I feel you, we just spent $60 on a 14 A24 and I looked long and hard for something cheaper. In the end, if I was going to spend $55, I was willing to spend $60 to get something that would fit my whole crew. Interestingly enough, our 12 a22 was still worth nearly what we paid for it three years later. It's not just the surf gate equipped boats that are keeping value right now.

True. I'm confident I would break even or close on my 2001, and I bought it 5 years ago. My CFO has set a limit, and she won't let me play the "well it's just $5k more card."

21 hours ago, abovewater said:

With the new tab aftermarket systems they probably will go up in value if not high hours 

I haven’t heard one bad word about those systems 

just buy a non-SG boat and put one on yourself for about 2k.  @martinarcher sells a fully-automated controller, and there are a ton of examples of how to make your own and make them look factory ordered.

• Like 4
On 6/4/2019 at 1:33 PM, jtryon said:

just buy a non-SG boat and put one on yourself for about 2k.  @martinarcher sells a fully-automated controller, and there are a ton of examples of how to make your own and make them look factory ordered.

This is true, however my boat is a 2001 and sooner or later I want a new boat! At some point I need to stop sinking money into upgrading a 20 year old boat.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Chatty21VLX said:

This is true, however my boat is a 2001 and sooner or later I want a new boat! At some point I need to stop sinking money into upgrading a 20 year old boat.

I keep having that dilema.  I am pretty certain I have one of the most modded SV23 hulled boats on the planet, which is pretty decent considering it is by far Malibu's best selling hull.  Wife loves saving money (that's her hobby), so convincing her we should buy a new boat is a hard sell, but some locals have bought new/newer Malibu's that have caught her eye.  I'm sure the right price/color combo might get her to consider an upgrade.  I'll need to ensure we hit the boat show in January.  

In the end our boat will probably see a GSA or Infinity Wave + aftermarket controller upgrade next season instead!  I can't complain, the old girl gets a lot of compliments at the ramp.  

• Like 3
On 6/3/2019 at 9:26 AM, abovewater said:

Same thing here. My last boat purchase I bought a 2015 Larson. When I started looking at wake surf boats I thought I was going to get hosed on trade in value. But to my surprise I got 500 bucks more then when bought new. Took the sting off the new boat.

On 6/3/2019 at 7:08 AM, Chatty21VLX said:

why not add surf gate to a non surf gate boat?   Many of us started doing that back in 2012.  With MA's wake logic system and tutorials here, wake garage and other sites, it's easy.  Just sayin if that's the biggest factor you're looking for (as opposed to other yearly upgrades, like a hull change) , you'll get a better deal this way.

• 1 month later...

I just paid $65k for my 2014 23lsv.  Despite having to put a $1400 throttle in (which the dealer is paying for, thankfully), I feel like I got a great deal.  Boat had 400hrs and is ready for a little vinyl refresh in the winter but is otherwise in decent shape.  Worst thing was prev owner lost the table and wind dam so I get to add those to the DIY list too.

1 hour ago, PNWoke said:

I just paid $65k for my 2014 23lsv.  Despite having to put a $1400 throttle in (which the dealer is paying for, thankfully), I feel like I got a great deal.  Boat had 400hrs and is ready for a little vinyl refresh in the winter but is otherwise in decent shape.  Worst thing was prev owner lost the table and wind dam so I get to add those to the DIY list too.

That seems like a great deal. I wouldn’t sell my 14 LSV for that. 

On 8/8/2019 at 8:28 AM, Raimie said:

The price will go down a little when Malibu releases SurfGate2.0.

Which is when? I know a guy with a 2020 23lsv, and I'm pretty sure it's just regular surfgate?

7 minutes ago, Chatty21VLX said:

Which is when? I know a guy with a 2020 23lsv, and I'm pretty sure it's just regular surfgate?

I'm just speculating. Sooner or later they will tweak the system and improve it in some way to get us all to sell our boats and upgrade.

17 minutes ago, Raimie said:

I'm just speculating. Sooner or later they will tweak the system and improve it in some way to get us all to sell our boats and upgrade.

We just bought a 2019 25 lsv after having a 2016 and 2017 23 lsv, and my son says that I will only keep it 2-3 years max. I counter that by saying, I'll have it at least five years. But I was just thinking that Malibu will do something new so that I will not hold onto my current boat beyond a couple of years. I heard larger and adjustable surf gates may be on the horizon.

IMO the pricing is cyclical. Auto prices are. However boats are "non-essential"..did I just say that?..and when the economy is up prices reflect that. When the economy hits a big downturn, then suddenly people cant afford boats.

18 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

economy hits a big downturn, then suddenly people cant afford boats

A couple data points:  the 2008 financial crash - prices dropped.  In Alberta, the 2014 oil price thing:  prices crashed and you can still get great deals if you travel to the areas impacted.

2 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

IMO the pricing is cyclical. Auto prices are. However boats are "non-essential"..did I just say that?..and when the economy is up prices reflect that. When the economy hits a big downturn, then suddenly people cant afford boats.

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

A couple data points:  the 2008 financial crash - prices dropped.  In Alberta, the 2014 oil price thing:  prices crashed and you can still get great deals if you travel to the areas impacted.

My recollection of boat pricing in 2008 - 2009....

Yes, boat sales slowed down. But I don’t recall the manufacturers dropping prices on new units. Instead they reduced production which had the effect of matching supply with the new, reduced demand while maintaining prices. 

The boat prices that dropped were the ones already produced (ie sitting on dealer lots, leftovers, etc).  This was a temporary excess the industry needed to clear out, and the pricing reflected that for a short period of time.

Who knows what will happen next time? But tow boats is a low volume, niche industry that has proven itself fairly resilient. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, IXFE said:

My recollection of boat pricing in 2008 - 2009....

Yes, boat sales slowed down. But I don’t recall the manufacturers dropping prices on new units. Instead they reduced production which had the effect of matching supply with the new, reduced demand while maintaining prices. 

The boat prices that dropped were the ones already produced (ie sitting on dealer lots, leftovers, etc).  This was a temporary excess the industry needed to clear out, and the pricing reflected that for a short period of time.

Who knows what will happen next time? But tow boats is a low volume, niche industry that has proven itself fairly resilient. 

I was lucky enough sell my boat in 09. Bought an 09 21 vlx for 55000 $ from the dealer. Used it for 2 years and sold it for 63000$! Prolly never get that opportunity again.