Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Axis Line Up - Rumors and wishes

agarabaghi

14 minutes ago, onwi said:

Saw an instagram clip of the M5 being loaded into T22s in Australia. 

There are a bunch of differences with Axis on the Aus boats, though, so I wouldn't necessarily say that definitely means anything. They have that and they have the brown/saddle interiors available over there, as notable differences. Maybe that's an indication of things to come over here, maybe not. The factory and supply chain is completely different, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Isn't that actually a smaller lower output engine than the 409 it's replacing?  (5.3L vs 6L although hp numbers get messy but claiming 350 on the new MD5 claims on the 409 are anywhere from 350s to 400)

Assuming same output (not a given) I'd guess smaller = better fuel economy but the change seems more risk than reward here.

11 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

Isn't that actually a smaller lower output engine than the 409 it's replacing?  (5.3L vs 6L although hp numbers get messy but claiming 350 on the new MD5 claims on the 409 are anywhere from 350s to 400)

Assuming same output (not a given) I'd guess smaller = better fuel economy but the change seems more risk than reward here.

Watch the video with the gorgeous blonde. This will explain it.

https://www.malibuboats.com/news/2019-news/malibu-monsoon-engine-power?utm_source=Consumer Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Monsoon Engine&utm_content=Engine Power

Need to see one in person or at least real photos but I would agree based on those pics. Our 2019 A22 ships next week, hopefully. Time is standing still right now!

I would love to see a windshield redesign on Malibu and Axis. The current design is prior to surfing being a thing. We could use a little taller windshield and a higher seat base.

• Like 2
On 6/18/2019 at 9:53 PM, Hemmy said:

Watched the video - references to "torque is what matters" but no data comparing old and new which I think you'd want to provide when downsizing the engine.

Sounds like a bigger change is the gear ratio in the final drive 2:1 instead of 1.5 or something of the like will be the big change as apposed to at the motor.

Edited by MustGoFast

According to CARB, the 2019 PCM Monsoon/Crusader 409 is 363hp and 341 ft. lbs. (https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/eo/2019/sime/u-w-013-0056.pdf). The 2019 Malibu m5di appears to be 344hp and 374 ft. lbs. and the m6di is 386hp and 446ft lbs. (https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/eo/2019/sime/u-w-034-0005.pdf).

One notable difference between the old Axis standard 409 and the new Axis standard m5di is that max torque is achieved at 3375rpm in the m5di vs 5600rpm with the 409. Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in power output between those engines from my novice eye. I also believe the m5di is 1/2 closed cooled and will require 92 octane fuel whereas the PCM Crusader 409 is raw water cooled and can run 87 octane.

Edited by formerathlete
On 6/24/2019 at 9:52 AM, MFknK said:

In the features below the pictures, it says AW Shock Package. Think this means the tower is assisted?

I do believe the next tower will be assisted.  That will be a huge change to me.

Seems like it. All other manuf have got thick and fatter with towers. not sure how i feel about that skinny one.... looks like the junky nxt tower size wise

Man an A24 with the m6di would be a beast.

Does the t23 still spin a 15" prop? Anyone know more about the gear ratio change?

3 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

Seems like it. All other manuf have got thick and fatter with towers. not sure how i feel about that skinny one.... looks like the junky nxt tower size wise

Man an A24 with the m6di would be a beast.

Does the t23 still spin a 15" prop? Anyone know more about the gear ratio change?

Yeah. The only thing my A24 needs is slightly more power... The way we are weighted, we have to trick the auto wedge sometimes because the bow stays lows. Just have to click wedge up a little prior to the speed it comes up on its own. 

Honestly there would have a to be a huge change for me to upgrade right now though. Totally stoked on the boat.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2019 at 2:21 AM, Tjards said:

hoping for softgrip color options and the sepia brown seats like I keep seeing on all the axis overseas

Done!

We have a 2020 A22 and soon a 2020 A24 coming. 

The A22 got the m5di and everything else is pretty much cosmetic, we did opt for the hydraulic steering as we surf that boat more and wife says its hard to turn the 19 now. 

The A24 should be black with brown seadek and brown / black vinyl. m6di in that one. Should be a beast. 

On 6/6/2019 at 11:33 AM, boardjnky4 said:

Someone on the FB Group said they went in to order one and was told that M5DI and M6DI would be the engine choices. No mas PCM/Crusader.

Yea that's what the dealer told me. They're bringing it all in house

On 7/2/2019 at 10:24 AM, MFknK said:

Yeah. The only thing my A24 needs is slightly more power... The way we are weighted, we have to trick the auto wedge sometimes because the bow stays lows. Just have to click wedge up a little prior to the speed it comes up on its own. 

Honestly there would have a to be a huge change for me to upgrade right now though. Totally stoked on the boat.

@MFknK what's your elevation? I had the same issue when my A24 was fully sacked.... just changed to an 18" prop lovingggggg the extra power