Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FAE install

SCMalibu

Joined June 2018

Posted 4 hours ago

I recently installed the FAE on my 07 LSV.  It’s definitely quieter but the performance is not there.  I have no top end & will only run 40.   When I ordered the company said there was no need to remove the muffler so I didn’t.  

Also, my local Malibu dealer wouldn’t install because they did one in the past & that boat ran bad afterwards & they removed it.  Said they didn’t want that headache again.  

Any thoughts?

Glad you posted this.. I’m Interested to hear what others say on this topic... I have often wondered how much a surf pipe impacts performance, both from an exhaust restriction perspective and the fact that you are dragging a pipe in the water (just thinking about the force that would be on your arm if you stuck it in the water while moving at any decent speed.

I had my local dealer install the factory surf pipe on my 2017 21 VLV. The surf pipe was not a factory option when I ordered the boat.  They removed the muffler before installing the pipe. The factory surf pipe was a lot more ($1,500 installed) than the FAE option but I didn't want to take a chance with the warranty on a new boat. The boat was noticeably quieter and did not experience any drop off in power.

i just had the factory option installed on my 2016 axis t22 same reasons and  same results as scott1969. noticeably quieter. witch is  really nice on late afternoon sunset boat rides if you have a social group who likes to talk..

also I haven't noticed any performance drop off but we only surf for the most part. 

41 minutes ago, Scott1969 said:

I had my local dealer install the factory surf pipe on my 2017 21 VLV. The surf pipe was not a factory option when I ordered the boat.  They removed the muffler before installing the pipe. The factory surf pipe was a lot more ($1,500 installed) than the FAE option but I didn't want to take a chance with the warranty on a new boat. The boat was noticeably quieter and did not experience any drop off in power.

I just added the Malibu surf pipe to my 17 21 VLX as well.  Definitely quieter and also no loss of power.  The only thing I have noticed is a whine at around 10 mph and low rpm's.  It is only noticeable for a second or two.  I am assuming it is the transmission or v-drive.  Maybe wondering if it was always there and never noticed it because of the noise without the surf pipe?  Maybe now I notice because it is quieter?  @Scott1969 did you notice at all?

58 minutes ago, Scott1969 said:

Are you sure?  I had mine installed on a '16 23LSV during the build (feb16 build date).  Hard to believe it wasn't an OPTION in 2017.  Obviously not at the $80k advertised price, but figured you could add it.  

Had the dealer install the factory pipe this winter on my 2018 MLX, definitely quieter and no drop in power.  @gregtay it does not hang down much below the wedge, so little, if any additional drag from the pipe. I do notice a little water spray at higher speeds, but not noticeable at surf speed where the pipe really makes the biggest difference. 

I just looked at the FAE website, I thought they were going to update their product so it wasn't such a engine power killer.  They still have probably the worst design possible, point both exhaust banks at each other, then expect the exhaust to make a 90 degree bend.