Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Guage issues

Rjspestcontrol

I have a 2000 Malibu sunsetter lxi.  Last year the gauges would work sometimes and then they would stop.  Starting it this year, they seem fine, until yesterday.  No big waves or bumps i hit, just sitting in the driveway.  One day yes, next day no.   I have power to all the gauges, but they never move when i turn the key.  They are supposed to limit then back to nothing.   I have looked up threads on this subject, but I am not handy with electrical, as of yet.  I pulled the gauge panel out and tested each gauge with a meter.  Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.  i loosened all the wires on the ground bar and wiggled them and tightened hoping just a bad ground or something simple.  No luck.  

I just purchased my 2001 Sportster LX. Tach amd fuel gauges were wacky.

I bit the bullet and got a set from Ron at Skiboatpartsonline.com

Save yourself time and aggravation and replace them all. Took me about 45 mins but i am used to wiring. He provides and easy to follow schematic. For a novice would be around 2 hours.

ok, testing the gauges with my voltmeter, it appears i have only 1 volt going to all the guages.  The fuel guage is after market ( like that when I bought the boat)  and is the only gauge that is registering 7 volts.   

vwz tips.  I am just not 100% that its not the mdc computer. Can i just get different gauges and bypass the mdc and save 500?. Thats what they want for a new mdc gauge computer. 

3 hours ago, Rjspestcontrol said:

vwz tips.  I am just not 100% that its not the mdc computer. Can i just get different gauges and bypass the mdc and save 500?. Thats what they want for a new mdc gauge computer. 

Yes, either from Ron at skiboatpartsonline or roll your own.  But if they are 5" gauges you will have a tougher time sourcing them.

Yes the gauge package from Ron deletes the Medallion controller. I was getting screwy volatge readings too.

The harness is plug and play. I would not purchase another Medallion unit as Ron informed me that some of the gauges can cause failure of the MDC and there is no warranty offered.

18 hours ago, formulaben said:

You said you're sitting in the driveway, so I assume you didn't start the motor?  Did you check your lanyard?

I had my fake a lake on.   I replaced the lanyard last season. I read some threads about that as well, and was a cheap potential fix. No luck.

Swap the plugs at the back of the gauges to see if one of them is an issue or if the problem is following the connections; indicates MDC.  POC that thing...

Here's the Medallion troubleshooting guide if you haven't seen it yet. I would start here:

If all gauges are coming and going together I would suspect either the MDC itself or the 5 pin connector going from the MDC to the gauges.

@vwztips If you're looking to get rid of any of your recently replaced Medallion parts let me know

Edited by drh

i just ordered the new gauge kit from Ron.  Thanks for the heads up on that.

I am looking for either a 5” tach or speedo, so if @DRH or @vwztips doesn’t want one of those, I’m interested 

Edited by cla10beck

The tach is pooched - always shows 2500 RPM - but is accurate above that.   Like idle is 3200 (700 RPM). Speedo is perfect.  Will let all know when I am ready to sell.  Oh, the MDC works perfectly - that. too will be up for grabs.

FYI for anyone interested, these kits are selling like hotcakes according to TRD and there is now a waiting list for them.  There is even some poor sod in line whose touchscreen exploded that is looking for an "old skool" replacement rather than fork out the thousands for a new touch screen.  I'd be curious to see how that works out, what with all the stuff built into the LCD panels.

I just installed my kit from Ron, and it was super easy.  I have a speedometer and tachometer that work. 5 inch gauges  black with white writing.  The tach has the small lcd screen for engine hours.  I have the 4 in 1 gauge also, but i think the stepper motor for the fuel gauge is bad.  They had after market gauge installed for fuel when i bought the boat.  All these gauges for sale.   

11 minutes ago, Rjspestcontrol said:

I just installed my kit from Ron, and it was super easy.  I have a speedometer and tachometer that work. 5 inch gauges  black with white writing.  The tach has the small lcd screen for engine hours.  I have the 4 in 1 gauge also, but i think the stepper motor for the fuel gauge is bad.  They had after market gauge installed for fuel when i bought the boat.  All these gauges for sale.   

can you post a picture of the new dash?

On 6/3/2019 at 10:41 PM, cla10beck said:

I am looking for either a 5” tach or speedo, so if @DRH or @vwztips doesn’t want one of those, I’m interested 

I have a tach and speedo that works great if you are interested.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:41 PM, cla10beck said:

are you still interested in tach or speedo or both?   Or i am going to put on ebay if i can figure it out. haha